=RATE(17,1,-5) returns #NUM! but the answer should be about 18.9

hapster

Apr 24, 2006, 1:26:02 PM4/24/06
Is there a way to get this function to generate the correct answer?
Essentially, I am trying to get the IRR for a cash for of $1 per year for 17
years given a $5 investment. My calculator gives the answer but I want to
program into Excel.

JE McGimpsey

Apr 24, 2006, 2:59:52 PM4/24/06
One way:

1 -5
2 1
3 1
18 1

20 =IRR(A1:A18) ===> 18.95%

Alternatively,

=IRR({-5,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1})

In article <B1B7FD6C-0AF9-488B...@microsoft.com>,

Fred Smith

Apr 24, 2006, 10:29:49 PM4/24/06
Another anomaly in the financial functions.

=Rate(17,-1,5) will give you the correct answer (18.95%), but
=Rate(17,1,-5) won't.

Giving Excel a decent guess solves the problem:
=Rate(17,-1,5,0,0,.2) and
=Rate(17,1,-5,0,0,.2) both work.

My HP12C will returns 18.95% in either case.

Amazing that Microsoft can't equal HP's 20-year old technology.

Hopefully they'll address this in the next release.

--
Regards,
Fred

"hapster" <hap...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message