files do not open with double click

mgrimz

Apr 14, 2006, 3:50:40 PM4/14/06

Hi. Here's an excel problem that I am encountering...
When I open a folder that contains an excel file and double click on
the document file I wish to open, excel opens the "shell" but does not
open the document. The only way I can open the document is to start
excel then do file/open. So, I can open the document but this is very
annoying.
This is for every excel document that I have, not just one specific
doc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

--
mgrimz
mgrimz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33507

Gord Dibben

Apr 14, 2006, 4:44:13 PM4/14/06
Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:50:40 -0500, mgrimz
<mgrimz.269sdn_...@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi. Here's an excel problem that I am encountering...
>When I open a folder that contains an excel file and double click on
>the document file I wish to open, excel opens the "shell" but does not
>open the document. The only way I can open the document is to start
>excel then do file/open. So, I can open the document but this is very
>annoying.
>This is for every excel document that I have, not just one specific
>doc.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Thanks.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Patricia Shannon

Apr 14, 2006, 8:00:01 PM4/14/06
This sounds like it might be a problem a lot of users are having because of a
Windows update. See

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4217-ad2a-4b9fcf741916