Removal of links between workbooks in Excel

Paul

Feb 3, 2003, 10:11:07 AM2/3/03
Lingering question...
Can I remove links in an Excel workbook once they are
set? I am a commodity manager and I create pricing
workbooks that I send out to my suppliers. I use several
large workbooks to produce smaller workbooks with
typically only one worksheet in them. I copy various
worksheets and name/define areas in them to construct the
final worksheet. Once I have the final worksheet created,
I delete all of the other sheets. None of the formulas
show external references but I still get error messages
relating to links. I know that I can manually copy and
paste special to get unlinked workbooks but I was
wondering if there is a better way? Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Scott

Feb 3, 2003, 5:33:56 PM2/3/03
Paul,
I have been trying to find out the same exact thing, so
please if you someone passes along this information to you
please please please pass it along.
Many Thanks,
Scott

>.

Bill Manville

Feb 3, 2003, 8:01:54 PM2/3/03
Paul wrote:
> None of the formulas
> show external references but I still get error messages
> relating to links.

The links are probably in defined names.
Assuming you have got rid of all formulas in the workbook then the
names are probably not useful either.

Sub DeleteLinkedNames()
Dim N As Name
For Each N In ActiveWorkbook.Names
If InStr(LCase(N.RefersTo),".xls")>0 Then N.Delete
Next
End Sub

If that still leaves you with links, try finding them with FINDLINK.XLA
from http://BMSLtd.co.uk/mvp and then you'll know what else needs to
be deleted from the workbook

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Moe

Feb 4, 2003, 11:33:53 AM2/4/03
I had the same problem for a long time & I downloaded the
file from the website u mentioned, it works great...
thanks.

~ Moe (Boston)

>.

Aimee

Feb 5, 2003, 10:33:39 AM2/5/03
Paul,

There is a "delete links" wizard in the Knowledge Base...
it downloads the file dellinks.exe. It works well for me.

Aimee

>.

Mark Robinson

Feb 11, 2003, 6:23:27 AM2/11/03
Paul,

Have a look at Navigator Utilities - and Excel add-in which will show you
exactly where the remaining links are. For each external workbook, it will
show you all the links to that workbook.

Another utility within the add-in allows you to replace all formulae in
selected sheets with values with a single click. This is great for removing
formulae before sending out to clients.

Navigator Utilities is a free download at www.robbo.com.au

regards
Mark