"Could not find any resources" error on startup... Please help

Mark Means

Aug 24, 2002, 1:49:25 PM8/24/02
I am getting the following error:

An unhandled exception of type
'System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Could not find any resources appropriate for the
specified culture (or the neutral culture) in the given assembly. Make sure
"frmMain.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly
"ErgosP5".
baseName: frmMain locationInfo: ErgosP5.frmMain resource file name:
frmMain.resources assembly: ErgosP5, Version=1.0.966.18000,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

--------------------------

On the following line inside the #Region " Windows Form Designer generated
code " section

Me.MainMenu1.RightToLeft =
CType(resources.GetObject("MainMenu1.RightToLeft"),
System.Windows.Forms.RightToLeft)

--------------------------

If I comment out the line, it generates the same error on every .GetObject
command in the #Region.

--------------------------

I have not edited the .resx files manually in any way, though I have looked
at them. The form was built as localizable=false and then changed to
localizable=true and I added the "nl" locale. If I turn localizable=false
now I get this error only on the GetObject command for an AxCOMM1 controll,
when changing back to localizable=true with the default locale I get this
error.

---------------------------

Felix Wu(MS)

Aug 27, 2002, 1:59:25 AM8/27/02
Hi Mark,

This problem can occur when the resource can not be successfully loaded.

Do you have any custom classes defined before the default Form1 class?
Since the compiler use the name of the first class as the default resource
name for the form.

For example, you can find simular lines in the assembly's manifest (Note:
You can check the compiled assemblies using ildasm.exe utility):

mresource public WindowsApplication1.Form1.resources
{
}

As you can see, "Form1" is from the name of the first class in the code
module. If you put another class, "MyClass" for example, before the "Form1"
class, the resource
name will be changed to "WindowsApplication1.MyClass.resources". This makes
the call:

System.Resources.ResourceManager resources = new
System.Resources.ResourceManager(typeof(Form1));

fail to locate the resource.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix Wu

>From: "Mark Means" <nospam....@ultrasw.com>
>Subject: "Could not find any resources" error on startup... Please help
>Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:49:25 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Mark Means

Aug 27, 2002, 12:24:48 PM8/27/02
Thanks. That was it. I had other classses defined above the form. I
moved them to after the end of the form class.