HELP with programmatically creating a blank Microsoft Access DB file in C#.NET

Null Reference

Jul 21, 2003, 11:26:41 PM7/21/03
Anybody here who can explain or point me to a link ?

I wish to create a blank MS Access DB file programmatically
using C# .

Thanks, nfs

Jon Davis

Jul 22, 2003, 12:24:45 AM7/22/03
Try this (untested)...

Create a database file in Access.
Copy the file somewhere. This is a template file.
When you want to create an Access database, copy the template file to where
you want it, and rename the file appropriately.
Use Jet's SQL language to create new tables, etc, over OleDb.

HTH,
Jon

"Null Reference" <Ore...@ywam.org> wrote in message

Null Reference

Jul 22, 2003, 1:23:22 AM7/22/03

I believe you're missing the main question..

I'm wanting to create the Access .mdb file programmatically via my C#
code. I can create the tables and everything already via my C# code to
a blank .mdb file.

I just don't want to use Access to create anything.

nfs

Jon Davis

Jul 22, 2003, 1:46:21 AM7/22/03
I believe you're missing my answer...

Access is only used once, to generate an empty template. Use C# to copy the
template file to your destination. Shall I create one for you? Shall I make
a C# assembly with this file bundled in it as a resource?

I don't believe Jet offers database file creation services.

Jon

"Null Reference" <Ore...@ywam.org> wrote in message

Null Reference

Jul 22, 2003, 3:14:20 AM7/22/03
I don't want to deal with the Access app in way, shape. or form
though. I am hoping to do this 100% via the C# code.

I found this so far

Programmers often need to create databases programmatically. Although
neither ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) nor ADO.NET provide the means to
create Microsoft Access databases automatically, you can use the
Microsoft Jet OLE DB Provider and Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.7 for DDL and
Security (ADOX) through the COM Interop layer to create databases
manually

so, this upsets me.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:46:21 -0700, "Jon Davis"

Null Reference

Jul 22, 2003, 3:44:15 AM7/22/03
Jon,

I figured out how to get it accomplished finally. The internet is damn
vast that weeding through the haystack of pages I finally found the
needle I was looking for..

using System;
using ADOX;

public class CreateDB
{
public static void Main( string [] args )
{
ADOX.CatalogClass cat = new ADOX.CatalogClass();

string create =
@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=L:\Programming\IO\Convert\LogBook2.mdb;" +
"Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5";

cat.Create(create);

cat = null;
}

}

Thanks for actually giving some of your time to look at my question!

nfs

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 07:14:20 GMT, Null Reference <Ore...@ywam.org>

Jon Davis

Jul 22, 2003, 7:07:33 PM7/22/03
Cool!

I've never worked with the ADOX namespace before... hmm...

Jon

"Null Reference" <Ore...@ywam.org> wrote in message

MsJuLiE

Jul 29, 2003, 11:08:47 AM7/29/03
It's nice but now I'm entertaining the template idea you mentioned.
The result DB file was 40MB as opposed to 3 MB :(

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:07:33 -0700, "Jon Davis"

Jon Davis

Jul 31, 2003, 12:20:49 AM7/31/03
Compress it. J# has zipping ability. Zipped access files compress by as much
as 99%.

Jon

"MsJuLiE" <MsJ...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

Jon Davis

Jul 31, 2003, 12:22:12 AM7/31/03
Compress it. J#'s libraries (which you can freely utilize in C#) have a zip
library. Zipped access files compress by as much