Different ARM processors and CAB files...bundling CF into an application CAB

Glyn Meek

Dec 18, 2002, 12:51:55 PM12/18/02
When you build a CAB file, there appear to be different ones built for ARM1
and ARM4. SInce ARM9 is the new one, can anyone tell me the differences
between the processors, and the repercussions of using the incorrect CAB
files?

Also, is there a way to 'bundle' the compact framework with an application
CAB file so the user does not have do two installations - the Compact
Framework AND our application?

Glyn

Scott Holden [MSFT]

Feb 26, 2003, 7:24:32 PM2/26/03
Here is a little primer on ARM and what the .NET Compact Framework supports:

There are three variants of the ARM instruction:
1) ARMv4 -> this supports only 32 bit ARMv4 instructions
2) ARMv4T -> 'T' stands for Thumb. Thumb is the ARM 16 bit instruction mode
3) ARMv4I -> 'I' stands for Interworking. This allows for 32-bit and 16-bit
instructions to co-exist.

The CPUs support the following:
StrongARM (SA1110) only supports ARMv4 instructions
ARM920T, etc -> Typically supports all three variants
XScale -> Supports all three variants

NET Compact Framework will provide three sets of binaries for ARM.
1) ARMv4 for PocketPC 2000 and Pocket PC 2002. This will run all ARM of the
ARM devices, including XScale. The cab that gets deployed to these devices
only has "arm" in the name.
2) ARMv4 for Windows CE.NET. This will run on Windows CE.NET devices
compiled with the ARMv4 kernel in Platform Builder. This will also be
binaries for Pocket PC 2003. The cab that gets deployed for these devices
has "armv4" in the name.
3) ARMv4T or ARMv4I for Windows CE.NET. This will run on Windows CE.NET
devices compiled with either the ARMv4T or ARMv4I kernels in Platform
builder. The cab that gets deployed to these devices has "armv4T" in the
name.

As to the second question, there is no method to bundle the application and
the Compact Framework.

Scott Holden
NET Compact Framework
Microsoft Corporation

purposes only. To correspond with me directly, remove the 'online' and
'news'
from my alias. This is to prevent automated spam to my alias.