GPS in Device Emulator

Daniel

Aug 8, 2006, 12:49:00 PM8/8/06

Please help!

I have a PC with a bluetooth dongle that is associated to a bluetooth GPS
device. That appears as COM4. I am trying with VB2005 to read the data
from the GPS but can't do it. I am opening the port but when I use the method
".ReadLine" it just sits there doing nothing. I see that someone else recently
posted with the same problem but no-one replied to their post. Any ideas?
Has anyone done this before? If so, could you post some code?

I want to do it all with code rather than use an external DLL.

Daniel
To contact me you need to clean up my email address. It should be fairly
obvious...

<ctacke/>

Aug 8, 2006, 1:01:09 PM8/8/06
First ensure that serial data is actually coming into the port and getting
routed to the emulator. Use a terminal program on the emulator to open the
port and see if the data comes in. If that works, then it's a code issue,
if not, it's a setup/configuration issue.

--
Chris Tacke
OpenNETCF Consulting

"Daniel" <idontlikejunk...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dick Grier

Aug 8, 2006, 2:03:26 PM8/8/06

I have done this (though I use ReadExisting, not ReadLine -- but, since
standard GPS NMEA sentences are terminated by a newline character pair
(CRLF), usually this isn't an issue). Realize that if the data does not
have proper format, ReadLine will wait forever.

So, is your BT port mapped to the emulator?

And, as Chris asks, does yout BT adapter work with HyperTerminal (or some
other terminal program)?

BTW, I do have example code in my book that shows how to read the serial
data stream (pretty easy) and to decode and display it (sometimes a little
more difficult). See below.

Dick

--
Richard Grier, MVP