VS2008 Upgrade killer?

chr...@mailcity.com

Jan 11, 2008, 9:28:10 AM1/11/08
We have been experimenting with upgrading our application from VS2003
to VS2008, all was going smoothly until we realised that the upgrade
procedure upgrades the app to use sqlce3.5 which will not sync with
sql server 2000, and a most of our large customers have significant
sql server 2000 infrastructures so upgrading them is not a
possibility.

Can the project be upgraded but then changed to build with sqlce 3.0?
If so, any pointers?

What are my other options if we were to continue with an upgrade?

Cheers

Chris

Simon Hart [MVP]

Jan 11, 2008, 5:45:01 PM1/11/08
Once you've done the upgrade, simply reference SQL CE 3.0 SDK.
--
Simon Hart
Visual Developer - Device Application Development MVP

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Jan 11, 2008, 5:48:38 PM1/11/08
Chris,

You should be able to use VS 2008 to target SSC 3.0, but can't use the data
tools for VS 2008 for SSC prior to 3.5. One of the VS 2008 betas I tried
that with didn't deploy the right version of SSC for testing. I was able to
change my database to 3.5 as I didn't need SQL 2000 merge, so I don't know
if that's still the case or not. Anyway, it can't hurt to just try it and
find out. I think the best visual tool for working with SSC 3.0 and 3.1 is
SQL 2005 Management Studio, and with Sp2 the Express version will also work,
so that might be an option for you to consider.

--
Ginny Caughey
Device Application Development MVP

<chr...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

chr...@mailcity.com

Jan 15, 2008, 5:27:30 AM1/15/08
Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't find a method of getting VS2008 to target 3.0 and any
references to it on the .net seemed to indicate that it would only
target 3.5

After a bit of juggling around, I "manually" changed the references to
point to 3.0 and got it working.

Cheers!

Chris

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Jan 15, 2008, 7:34:02 AM1/15/08
Chris,

I'm glad you got it working. Manually changing the reference is the only way
to make it work with VS 2008 as far as I know.

--
Ginny Caughey