Installing .NET CF SP2

Moshe

Feb 6, 2005, 2:19:51 PM2/6/05
Where am I supposed to extract the files to?

Peter Foot [MVP]

Feb 6, 2005, 4:53:39 PM2/6/05
Firstly, the latest version is now SP3, which you can download here:-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5a02311-194b-4c00-b445-f92bec03032f&displaylang=en

This will give you a folder full of CAB files which you can distribute with
your apps. These are named to indicate the specific platform and cpu
architecture they are designed for e.g.
netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab - Pocket PC 2000/2002 ARM Processor

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP

"Moshe" <micr...@bluebottle.com> wrote in message

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Feb 6, 2005, 6:01:28 PM2/6/05
Actually, you can not due to EULA restrictions. Redistributable SP3 will be
provided as an update to VS 2003.

Or, should VS 2003 update be delayed for some reason, as a separate package
with special EULA as it used to be for SP1 and SP2.

Best regards,

Ilya

"Peter Foot [MVP]" <feed...@nospam-inthehand.com> wrote in message

Moshe

Feb 7, 2005, 4:20:12 AM2/7/05
I wish to update the CF that emulators install automatically through VS.NET
2003. The redistributable is intended for real devices. I assume I need the
developers redistributable but don't understand how to install it.

Peter Foot [MVP]

Feb 7, 2005, 4:28:37 AM2/7/05
So what should we do currently - point users towards the web-page and get
them to install the ".NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 Redistributable"
themselves?

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP
www.inthehand.com | www.opennetcf.org

"Ilya Tumanov [MS]" <ily...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sergey Bogdanov

Feb 7, 2005, 4:35:03 AM2/7/05
You may copy netcf.core.ppc3.x86.cab file from
\Program Files\Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3\

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows
CE\wce300\x86\netcf.core.ppc3.x86.cab

and the same actions for PocketPC device:

netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab => "Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows
CE\wce300\arm\netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab"

Hope this help,
Sergey Bogdanov
http://www.sergeybogdanov.com

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Feb 7, 2005, 1:06:23 PM2/7/05
Correct.

Best regards,

Ilya

PS Sorry about this, we'll provide a better option ASAP.

--------------------
> From: "Peter Foot [MVP]" <feed...@nospam-inthehand.com>
> Subject: Re: Installing .NET CF SP2
> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:28:37 -0000
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

Peter Foot [MVP]

Feb 7, 2005, 2:11:09 PM2/7/05
Thanks Ilya

Peter

--

> Correct.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ilya
>
> PS Sorry about this, we'll provide a better option ASAP.

> rights.
> --------------------
>> From: "Peter Foot [MVP]" <feed...@nospam-inthehand.com>
>> Subject: Re: Installing .NET CF SP2
>> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:28:37 -0000
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

Harry Simpson

Feb 9, 2005, 3:22:54 PM2/9/05
So Peter,

After I downloaded the SP3....I have to distribute SP2 cabs?? I'm only
installing on 2003 or higher PPC OSs. I'm developing in VS2003 - Which SP
is it currently using of the Compact Framework?

Confused, but only temporarily....

Harry

"Peter Foot [MVP]" <feed...@nospam-inthehand.com> wrote in message

Harry Simpson

Feb 9, 2005, 3:31:20 PM2/9/05
Looking at my own system:
For netcf.all.wce4.ARMV4.cab
SP3 11/15/2004
SP2 11/12/2003

Version in VS2003 is dated 10/18/2002 (SP1?)

If I'm writing an app in VS2003 which cab do I distribute with my app?

TIA,
Harry

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Feb 11, 2005, 8:45:16 AM2/11/05
Harry,

From what I can tell, you can't redistribute SP3 with your apps and will
need to redistribute SP2, then refer your users to the website so they can
upgrade to SP3 themselves.

--
Ginny Caughey
.Net Compact Framework MVP

"Harry Simpson" <hssi...@phgt.net> wrote in message

Rajeevan Gnanendra

Feb 18, 2005, 6:35:03 PM2/18/05
Hello
Im having some problem to update my emulators after installing the lateset
version of compact framework. I moved or copied and pasted the cab files as
mentioned but I'm still having problem with my emulators. Im trying to
retrive the map from MapPoint Web Service I get an null exception error.
Solution for it was to update the Compact Framework. But do I need to update
something on the emulator it self, in case how.
Could anyone please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks
Rajeevan

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Feb 22, 2005, 4:56:50 PM2/22/05
Please see this to find out how to update the emulator:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/community/cffaq/default.aspx#27lw4tch

Look for "How do I deploy a .NET Compact Framework Service Pack to the
emulator?"

Best regards,

Ilya

--------------------
<Rajeevan...@discussions.microsoft.com>

> Subject: Re: Installing .NET CF SP2

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:35:03 -0800
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

Rajeevan Gnanendra

Mar 2, 2005, 5:01:02 AM3/2/05
Thanks Ilya for your reply, I have downloaded the SP and installed on my
machine then i moved files as Sergey suggested :

You may copy netcf.core.ppc3.x86.cab file from
\Program Files\Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3\
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows
CE\wce300\x86\netcf.core.ppc3.x86.cab

and the same actions for PocketPC device:

netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab => "Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows
CE\wce300\arm\netcf.core.ppc3.ARM.cab"

but the emulators are still not update. Is there any guidance how to update
the compact framework. I.e steps to do..
Thanks
Rajeevan Gnanendra

Sergey Bogdanov

Mar 2, 2005, 5:23:15 AM3/2/05
Have you turned off Emulator (not "Save Emulator state"). It should
reset the device state and will force VS to get netcf.core.ppc3.x86.cab
that you substituted.

Best regards,