Some Tips if you are using BizTalk 2004 from a Virtual PC image and Windows 2003

G. Tarazi

Apr 3, 2004, 12:17:50 PM4/3/04
Because Microsoft BizTalk Server 2004 is a new product, we are using in a
testing development environment that is based on Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
and Windows Server 2003 images.

We had a lot of problems with BizTalk and the development environment, and I
discovered laity that some of these problems were because of the fact that
the development environment is based on a cleaned Windows 2003 VPC image.

Here are some tips that may help you.

Never clone the same Windows 2003 Image, always install a new one for each
client or server !!!! This will fix you most of the problems, but if you don
't want to, here are some tips.

1- Make sure that each image has a unique SID, to change the SID search
google for the NewSID utility.

2- But even when you change the SID, there are some services that remember
the old SID, like the DTC service, if that service remembers the old SID,
you will not be able to deploy a BizTalk orchestration from the development
machine (from VS.NET), to the BizTalk server (if they originated from the
same image) even if you changed the SID.

To fix that, you need to stop the DTC service, to run the dtc -uninstall, to
delete the service from the registry, to delete the dtc files from the
machine, to reinstall the dtc again with the dtc -install command, and then
the deployment will work.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246679

My advice is: Install Windows separately for each image and BizTalk will
work fine :-)

Niklas E

Apr 4, 2004, 6:58:47 AM4/4/04
Perhaps sp_deleteserver and sp_addserver will fix SQL-problem? You ought to
run that if you change your computer name on a SQL Server. Or the DTC may
look in alternate places?

Here is what I did when I cloned an image:
- Install image with Windows 2003, VS.Net 2003 (c# at least), MSDN help
files, SQL Server 2000 + sp3a + Q831950, other utils you want to use and
then all WindowsUpdates.
- Clone the image (copy + paste)
- Start up the copy
- Get New SID
- Rename the computer, re-join to domain if running on a domain
- Run sp_deleteserver 'OldServerName'
- Run sp_addserver 'NewServerName'

Best regards
Niklas E