Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

Time & Billing example databse

3 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

NanoRuler

no leída,
22 jul 2005, 7:08:01 p.m.22/7/2005
para
Please can somebody explain in slow, easy steps what exactly I need to do to
get the Time & Billing sample database to work without errors?
Many thanks in advance! I use Access 2003.

M.L. Sco Scofield

no leída,
22 jul 2005, 9:23:21 p.m.22/7/2005
para
I'm afraid your question is a bit vague.

1 - What Time and Billing database sample are you referring to? Are you
talking about a database built based on the template that ships with Access
2003?

2 - What do you mean work without errors?

What exactly are you doing when you get errors? (What steps from the main
switchboard?)

And most importantly, what errors are you getting? What are the *exact*
messages? What are the error numbers?

Provide some detailed information and maybe someone here can help.

Sco

M.L. "Sco" Scofield, Microsoft Access MVP, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+
Denver Area Access Users Group Vice President www.DAAUG.org
MS Colorado Events Administrator www.MSColoradoEvents.com
Useful Metric Conversion #18 of 19: 8 nickels = 2 paradigms (My personal
favorite)
Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Access Resource

no leída,
22 jul 2005, 9:39:03 p.m.22/7/2005
para
Send me an email to access_...@yahoo.com. I can help you.

We'll be watching you...

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 5:18:08 a.m.23/7/2005
para
We're watching you...

"Access Resource" <AccessR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:75940133-B2E9-4DC5...@microsoft.com...

NanoRuler

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 7:16:01 a.m.23/7/2005
para
Right, please explain in detail what "We're watching you..." is all about?
Your comments were neither helpful, not obviously related to my question.

Although quite obviously not an Access expert at all, I also help a number
of people on other forums, one of which I am a moderator on. My speciality is
networking, especially Server 2003, 2000 Server and XP. When I help people I
do not post replies like "We're watching you..." as such posts can clearly be
taken as some form of threat. If ever you posted to such a forum, looking
for help with a polluted Active Directory, would YOU appreciate my leaving
such a comment? No, I didn't think so either!

The Access database I'm referring to is the sample "Time & Billing" .mdb
available as an Access template, and also for download from the Office site.
Fire it up and try to view Invoices and you will see the various error
messages. I've found numerous posts on various forums regarding exactly the
same error I'm experiencing. It relates to a function being blocked by Access
as apparently it relies on a non-Microsoft object. As a known error, I'm
surprised that the template is still available for download in the format
that causes the error.

Thank you for the offer of help

NanoRuler

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 7:19:02 a.m.23/7/2005
para
Thank you VERY much! I hope one day I can repay the favour.

Brendan Reynolds

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 11:56:33 a.m.23/7/2005
para
The template site is dynamic, with users being directed to different
versions of the site depending on the locale reported by the browser, so in
order for someone to test the same version of the template that you are
using, it would help if you could post the URL from which you downloaded the
template.

Also, could you be a little more specific about how to reproduce the error -
in particular, how exactly using that template does one 'view invoices'?

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> The Access database I'm referring to is the sample "Time & Billing" .mdb
> available as an Access template, and also for download from the Office
> site.
> Fire it up and try to view Invoices and you will see the various error
> messages. I've found numerous posts on various forums regarding exactly
> the
> same error I'm experiencing. It relates to a function being blocked by
> Access
> as apparently it relies on a non-Microsoft object. As a known error, I'm
> surprised that the template is still available for download in the format
> that causes the error.

<snip>

M.L. Sco Scofield

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 12:02:33 p.m.23/7/2005
para
I'm still interested in what errors you are getting and what you are doing
when you get them.

I've tried to cause an error on my copy and I can't.

I'm also interested in what forums you saw people with the same error.
Admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time searching, but I can't find
anything.

I also took a look at the code and I can't find any references to anything
but normal Access references, Microsoft or non-Microsoft.

If there is a problem with this template, I'd like to track it down so I can
report it to the people that can fix if.

Thanks for your help.

Sco

M.L. "Sco" Scofield, Microsoft Access MVP, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+
Denver Area Access Users Group Vice President www.DAAUG.org
MS Colorado Events Administrator www.MSColoradoEvents.com
Useful Metric Conversion #18 of 19: 8 nickels = 2 paradigms (My personal
favorite)
Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anony Mouse

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 12:22:41 p.m.23/7/2005
para
I think you may have missed that the message was actually sent to Access
Resource a nuisance that has been abusing the newsgoups and not to you.

It is possible that the original message has now been deleted.

It is normal practice for help to be provided publically on the newsgroups
and not taken to private email.

Let's hope you get the answers you need.

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Right, please explain in detail what "We're watching you..." is all about?
> Your comments were neither helpful, not obviously related to my question.

> "We'll be watching you..." wrote:

NanoRuler

no leída,
23 jul 2005, 4:51:01 p.m.23/7/2005
para
Thanks for your prompt replies.

Here are some URL's discussing this same issue:
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/access-forms/24119/Problem-with-Time-and-Billing-Template-Access-2003
and
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access/msg/9c97a482f446a678

The errors I get are exactly as described in the 1st URL. The 2nd URL gives
some explanation as to how to fix it, but not in enough detail for an Access
novice like me.

The database itself came with Office 2003 Pro, and before that I had it with
Office 200 Pro. Although it is available for download from
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/templates/TC011801471033.aspx?CategoryID=CT011366791033 as well.

I get the same error regardless of which PC I try it on and I have tried it
on numerous computers. Using Access 2000 I get the same errors.

M.L. Sco Scofield

no leída,
25 jul 2005, 12:01:18 a.m.25/7/2005
para
NanoRuler,

Thanks for this info. This should be enough to figure out what's going on.

I just wanted to let you know that I've been busy and haven't had time to
track this down. I will look at this in the next couple of days.

Sco

M.L. "Sco" Scofield, Microsoft Access MVP, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+
Denver Area Access Users Group Vice President www.DAAUG.org
MS Colorado Events Administrator www.MSColoradoEvents.com
Useful Metric Conversion #18 of 19: 8 nickels = 2 paradigms (My personal
favorite)
Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

NanoRuler

no leída,
29 jul 2005, 3:26:05 a.m.29/7/2005
para
I take it the lack of response means the problem is trickier to solve than
what even I thought?

Brendan Reynolds

no leída,
29 jul 2005, 6:07:58 a.m.29/7/2005
para

The second URL you posted gives the solution ...

<quote>
One of the easiest workarounds is to create a User Defined Function that
calls RecordCount for you. You can put this in a module.

Function RecordCount(frm As Form) As Long
RecordCount = frm.RecordsetClone.RecordCount
End Function

Then change the three expressions on the Project form that refer to
RecordsetClone to call this function instead.

Broken Expression:
=IIf([Project Expenses
Subform].[Form].[RecordsetClon­e].[RecordCount]=0,0,[Project Expenses
Subform].[Form]![Total Expenses])

Fixed Expression:
=IIf(RecordCount([Project Expenses Subform].[Form])=0,0,[Project
Expenses Subform].[Form]![Total Expenses])
</quote>

I've posted a copy of the template that implements this solution for the
'Projects' and 'Print Invoice' forms at the following URL. Open either of
those two forms in design view and look at the control sources of the
controls that have control source properties beginning "=IIf(RecordCount
...".

The RecordCount function itself I've added to the 'Global Code' module.

Note that this is just an example to illustrate how to implement this fix -
I make no other promises for this download.

http://brenreyn.brinkster.net/01018461.mdb

Note to anyone reading this in the archives later - I make no promise that
this download will continue to be available. Please don't e-mail me months
or years from now asking what happened to it, as the answer will almost
certainly be: 'I don't remember'!

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

NanoRuler

no leída,
29 jul 2005, 3:45:03 p.m.29/7/2005
para
Thank you very much for what you've done so far. The errors on the "Print
Invoice" form are now gone. Unfortunately there is still another error when
previewing the Invoice that results in the Invoice not showing any expense or
billing information and as a result gives a completely incorrect invoice
amount.

Any ideas on how to resolve that one????

Also, do you have any idea if Microsoft will be addressing these errors in
the database template on their site?

Brendan Reynolds

no leída,
29 jul 2005, 4:26:25 p.m.29/7/2005
para
Templates are for beginners. I don't mean that in a condescending way -
everyone was a beginner once. The point I want to make is that most of the
people who answer questions here are unlikely to have much familiarity with
the templates. I certainly don't. I did try playing around with the time and
billing template for a few minutes, and found that I had to enter dates in
the 'Begin Date' and 'End Date' text boxes on the 'Print Invoice' form
before any data showed in the subform or in the 'Invoice' report. Beyond
that, I really can't say how the template is supposed to work. I think
probably the most productive way to look at the template is as a learning
tool. Play with it, pick it apart, figure out why it works and why it
doesn't. Don't expect it to be a finished application that you can use 'out
of the box'. But that's just my personal opinion - I don't have any contact
with the people who own the templates, I don't know if that is what they
intended, or what their plans might be.

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

M.L. Sco Scofield

no leída,
30 jul 2005, 3:49:01 a.m.30/7/2005
para
Sorry NanoRuler. It means that I've been busy doing revenue work. Hanging
out in these newsgroups is a volunteer thing without pay. Paying customers
standing at the door come first.

If you've been watching my participation in these groups this week, the only
posts I've make have been one or two minute answers that didn't require any
research. Your problem will require me to do some testing that I'm willing
to do when I have time.

I'll try to get to it over the weekend. If I don't, it will have to wait
until I get back from Redmond next weekend.

In the mean time, maybe someone else has had some experience with this
template or is interested enough to make some time to look at it.

Sorry for the delay.

Sco

M.L. "Sco" Scofield, Microsoft Access MVP, MCSD, MCP, MSS, A+
Denver Area Access Users Group Vice President www.DAAUG.org
MS Colorado Events Administrator www.MSColoradoEvents.com
Useful Metric Conversion #18 of 19: 8 nickels = 2 paradigms (My personal
favorite)
Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

"NanoRuler" <Nano...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0 mensajes nuevos