OpenRecordset Default Behavior on ODBC

entrylevel26

Feb 18, 2007, 2:05:00 PM2/18/07
The Problem:
We are upsizing some of our access applications into SQL Server.
A problem we ran into is that OpenRecordset use the default values
dbOpenDynaset and dbSeeChanges on mdb linked-tables and that is what our code
assumes. now our tables are used with ODBC connection and that means these
calls are actually made with dbForwardOnly and dbReadOnly (I'm not sure about
the last one but it is not dbSeeChanges anyway) since these are the default
values for ODBC connection.

My Question:
Since we have a lot of calls to OpenRecordest in our application, that do
not assign these parameters explicitly, I would like to know if there's a way
(maybe through the registry or server configuration) to change this default
behavior on ODBC to match the one of a Jet linked table.

And...:
If you know of some wizard that can change my code automatically, or any
other way to solve this problem, I would also be happy to hear about it.

And...:
If you know about other problems that might arise from changing the
connection to an ODBC I would be happy to know about (I don't mean problems
regarding the data transformation into the sql server, but problems like the
one I mentioned which are discovered after the upsizing was completed, the
guides I used:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/Deploy/accessmigration.mspx
and http://www.azteccomputing.com/docs/Upsize.pdf didn't warn about that
problem explicitly)