Problem with KB960715

Paul

Feb 12, 2009, 6:00:05 PM2/12/09
I am using winsock controls in my A2007 application. Since I loaded update
KB960715, the winsock controls are no longer recognized. I spent all day
scouring the internet and tried updating MSWINSCK.OCX (6.1.9782) but nothing
works unless I remove KB960715.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Yohan

Feb 12, 2009, 8:57:43 PM2/12/09
I have just upgraded to Window Vista and facing problem to excess to
internet connection. According to our IT dept , this is due to OS issue's.
Please help me how could i access to internet.

Currently i only able to access thru direct dial up or from public network
access.
As attached is Pic for your reference

Thanks in advance
S.Yohan / Malaysia

Graham Mandeno

Feb 15, 2009, 7:16:25 AM2/15/09
Hi Paul

I've been battling the same problem myself since Friday (it's now 1am
Monday) and have finally figured out the "kosher" solution.

The KB960715 "security update" sets a "kill bit" in the registry entry for
several ActiveX controls, including several of MS's own VB6 controls.
MSFlexGrid and WinSock are two of those affected.
More info here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/960715.mspx

It turns out that there is another KB (957924) which updates those VB6
ActiveX controls to a later version which does not have the vulnerability
and are therefore not kill-bitted. The "OK" version for msflxgrd.ocx and
mswinsck.ocx 6.1.98.12.
You can download this VB6 update from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924

Unfortunately, the KB957924 update will not run unless you have VB6
installed, so you probably can't run it on the end-user machine. However,
you can run it on a machine with VB6 and then redistribute the new
version(s) of the OCX file(s) from that machine to the end users.

I hope this helps. I agree with you that this is a monumental cock-up. I
don't understand how MS can shoot themselves in the foot like this.

--
Good Luck :-)

Graham Mandeno [Access MVP]
Auckland, New Zealand

"Paul" <Pa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m

Feb 15, 2009, 2:42:39 PM2/15/09
the real problem is that MS wants to kill ActiveX.

that is the root of the problem.

in a perfect world-- we wouldn't have a bully company that wants to
force you into using .NET

On Feb 15, 4:16 am, "Graham Mandeno" <Graham.Mand...@nomail.please>
wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> I've been battling the same problem myself since Friday (it's now 1am
> Monday) and have finally figured out the "kosher" solution.
>
> The KB960715 "security update" sets a "kill bit" in the registry entry for
> several ActiveX controls, including several of MS's own VB6 controls.
> MSFlexGrid and WinSock are two of those affected.
> More info here:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/960715.mspx
>
> It turns out that there is another KB (957924) which updates those VB6
> ActiveX controls to a later version which does not have the vulnerability
> and are therefore not kill-bitted.  The "OK" version for msflxgrd.ocx and
> mswinsck.ocx 6.1.98.12.
> You can download this VB6 update from here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924
>
> Unfortunately, the KB957924 update will not run unless you have VB6
> installed, so you probably can't run it on the end-user machine.  However,
> you can run it on a machine with VB6 and then redistribute the new
> version(s) of the OCX file(s) from that machine to the end users.
>
> I hope this helps.  I agree with you that this is a monumental cock-up.  I
> don't understand how MS can shoot themselves in the foot like this.
>
> --
> Good Luck  :-)
>
> Graham Mandeno [Access MVP]
> Auckland, New Zealand

Aaron Kempf knows nothing

Feb 15, 2009, 8:08:01 PM2/15/09

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o" wrote:

> the real problem is that someone wants to incapacitate me because I am clueless
> and annoy people by posting the most inane comments to their questions.

> that is the root of the problem.
>

> in a perfect world-- we wouldn't have a bully, namely me, that wants to
> force you into using SQL Server.

dhaks...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2009, 7:58:32 AM2/24/09
On Feb 15, 5:16 pm, "Graham Mandeno" <Graham.Mand...@nomail.please>
wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> I've been battling the same problem myself since Friday (it's now 1am
> Monday) and have finally figured out the "kosher" solution.
>
> The KB960715 "security update" sets a "kill bit" in the registry entry for
> several ActiveX controls, including several of MS's own VB6 controls.
> MSFlexGrid and WinSock are two of those affected.
> More info here:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/960715.mspx
>
> It turns out that there is another KB (957924) which updates those VB6
> ActiveX controls to a later version which does not have the vulnerability
> and are therefore not kill-bitted.  The "OK" version for msflxgrd.ocx and
> mswinsck.ocx 6.1.98.12.
> You can download this VB6 update from here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924
>
> Unfortunately, the KB957924 update will not run unless you have VB6
> installed, so you probably can't run it on the end-user machine.  However,
> you can run it on a machine with VB6 and then redistribute the new
> version(s) of the OCX file(s) from that machine to the end users.
>
> I hope this helps.  I agree with you that this is a monumental cock-up.  I
> don't understand how MS can shoot themselves in the foot like this.
>
> --
> Good Luck  :-)
>
> Graham Mandeno [Access MVP]
> Auckland, New Zealand
>
> "Paul" <P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I am using winsock controls in my A2007 application. Since I loaded update
> > KB960715, the winsock controls are no longer recognized. I spent all day
> > scouring the internet and tried updating MSWINSCK.OCX (6.1.9782) but
> > nothing
> > works unless I remove KB960715.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Paul- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot Mandeno.

I have been searching for help for past 4 hours (this is less than
your time :-) ).

Regards
Moorthy
India