An apology to this forum’s members

Piere Garmond

Jul 30, 2008, 2:24:00 AM7/30/08

English checked by Graham Watson (from London) now living in Val ‘dIsere –
“but” not changed in any way unless shown

Dear members (P said Dear Mr and Mrs)

I have spoken to my English friend who has informed me that the word
“Racist” that I used in my last letter to this forum was wrong. The original
French word I used was “biased” and my limited English skills altered the
entire focus of my letter by using the wrong translation.

I am truly sorry for any offence I have caused (many people put that in
letters and on signs - but I really do mean it). I did not mean to imply
that any individuals were against me due to my country of origin.
(P said everyday – I have change it to truly – Graham)

I still truley believe that this forum and the majority of the Microsoft
“empire ?” plays lip service to other languages as a marketing tool. This
forum is “by far” the most used Access forum on the MS network.

My letter to you made it sound like I wanted my work doing for me, this is
not what I intended. I was mealy trying to point out that if a question is
asked in English it is more likely to receive an answer than if asked in
other languages.

I want to make a special apology to Mr Larry Linson as I used the word
“Angry” to refer to him response to my original post. I should have used
“Curt” or “prompt”. This means he told me very firmly and quickly to learn
to use the program. He was correct in this. So once again I am sorry to you
Mr Larry Linson.

As for Mr Arron Kempf – we have people like this in France also – I will say
no more.

Douglas J. Steele

Jul 30, 2008, 7:31:44 AM7/30/08
This was a very nice action to take. I had started to write a response to
your original post, in which I hypothesized that "racist" meant something
different to you than to us, but decided not to post it in the end.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Piere Garmond" <PiereG...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Wayne-I-M

Jul 30, 2008, 8:55:02 AM7/30/08
I gave you the code to make your form work how you want it to. But,
following on from Larry Linson’s point that you would be better learning how
to do it rather then just copying some code, I have given details below.

Please ask your friend to translate anything you don’t understand.

Using Google maps is no different to using any other hyperlink to a webpage
– with one big different to (some) pages. With Google Maps you (normally)
want the map to be of somewhere specific (in your case of France) and to
have a pointer pointing at something.

Use this as a practice.

Create a new form in design view.
Put 1 button on it (call it butGMaps ). Put a text box on the form (call
it txtCodesPostle).

Load this into the OnClick event of butGMaps

Private Sub butGMaps _Click()
Dim MyHyperlink As String
Dim strGoogleLoaction As String

strGoogleLoaction = Replace([txtCodesPostale], " ", "+")
MyHyperlink
="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?g=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=" &
strGoogleLoaction & "&ie=
UTF8&ll=45.447125,6.978335&spn=0.012796,0.043087&z=15"

Application.FollowHyperlink MyHyperlink
End Sub

As you can see this is almost the same as I posted to you in another post.
But (again following Larry Linson’s advice) you would be better understanding
this code – so you can create your own.

So lets break down the code and work out how to create your own Google Maps
pointer.

This section just tells your application to do something when you click a
control (in this case butGMaps )
Private Sub butGMaps _Click()

This section is used to define the 2 variables. Dims are used to dinfine
variables and can be used elsewhere in the form (or in the application if
used in a public module)
Dim MyHyperlink As String
Dim strGoogleLoaction As String
So MyHyperlink and strGoogleLoaction can be changed (which is what variable
means in English – I may wrong about the translation. If I am someone else
will tell you)

This section tells your application to “follow” (go to) the place that you
have declared in your DIM variable
Application.FollowHyperlink MyHyperlink

This is the section that some people who are new to Access and Google Maps
have problems with
strGoogleLoaction = Replace([txtCodesPostale], " ", "+")
MyHyperlink
="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?g=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=" &
strGoogleLoaction & "&ie=
UTF8&ll=45.447125,6.978335&spn=0.012796,0.043087&z=15"

So we can break it down
strGoogleLoaction = Replace([txtCodesPostale], " ", "+")
This section replaces spaces (if there are any) with a + sign. This is
important as HTTP code (like used in Google Maps) will replace spaces with %
and not a +. But of course if there are no spaces then it will not do
anything

The next section (which in your code should all be on one line)
MyHyperlink
="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?g=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q =" &
strGoogleLoaction & "&ie =
UTF8&ll=45.447125,6.978335&spn=0.012796,0.043087&z=15"

Is actually 4 sections
This section tells your application that this is the variable hyperlink
MyHyperlink =

This section open Google Maps (and a few other things like setting the
Geocoded time – for more info on this search Google on Geocode)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?g=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q

This section inserts the variable you have put into your text box
& strGoogleLoaction & "&

This section tells Google Maps “which” maps to open and at what scale
UTF8&ll=45.447125,6.978335&spn=0.012796,0.043087&z=15

THAT IS THE SECTION YOU NEED TO CHANGE if you need another map – "not" the
post code, zip code, codes postle, etc

So let say you live in the USA and you want to open a map of New York
Here is a cheat you can use that is very simple
If you open Google Maps and zoom in to the New York area then select the
"Link to this page" icon you can cut this
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.784701,-73.861084&spn=0.883826,2.757568&z=9

You then cut out the section of this hyperlink “includeing and all after the
UFT" (Unicode Transformation Format) so you will get this
UTF8&ll=40.784701,-73.861084&spn=0.883826,2.757568&z=9

For Paris you would have this
UTF8&ll=48.819524,2.406006&spn=0.38429,1.378784&z=10

For the whole of Italy you would have this
UTF8&ll=42.455888,13.425293&spn=6.888257,22.060547&z=6

You need to add this section to your code so it looks like this (for New York)

Private Sub butGMaps _Click()
Dim MyHyperlink As String
Dim strGoogleLoaction As String

strGoogleLoaction = Replace([txtCodesPostale], " ", "+")
MyHyperlink
="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?g=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=" &
strGoogleLoaction & "&ie=
UTF8&ll=40.784701,-73.861084&spn=0.883826,2.757568&z=9"

Application.FollowHyperlink MyHyperlink
End Sub

Or like this for paris
Private Sub butGMaps _Click()
Dim MyHyperlink As String
Dim strGoogleLoaction As String

strGoogleLoaction = Replace([txtCodesPostale], " ", "+")
MyHyperlink
="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?g=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=" &
strGoogleLoaction & "&ie=
UTF8&ll=48.819524,2.406006&spn=0.38429,1.378784&z=10"

Application.FollowHyperlink MyHyperlink
End Sub

Don’t forget that if you insert a post code, zip code, codes postle that is
not on the map it will not be seen as it is out side the area.

I hope this helps you with you application

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

Clif McIrvin

Jul 30, 2008, 8:58:13 AM7/30/08
Piere -- well written, very thoughtful, and much appreciated.

For my part, apology accepted.

--
Clif
Still learning Access 2003

--
Clif
Still learning Access 2003

Klatuu

Jul 30, 2008, 10:22:02 AM7/30/08
Piere,

Merci pour votre apologie. Vous Engish êtes mieux que mon français. Je l'ai
fait avec un traducteur en ligne.

Comprenez s'il vous plaît que ce site n'est pas complété par Microsoft. Nous
sommes tous les volontaires et sommes surtout des speakers d'Engish.

Je suis heureux que vous avez reçu votre réponse.

--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

Larry Linson

Jul 30, 2008, 11:36:27 AM7/30/08
Wayne, that's a very thorough and straightforward discussion. I've saved it
to my "Useful Access" folder for potential future use. I thank you,
personally, and on behalf of others who may need to use Google maps.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

"Wayne-I-M" <Way...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

>> forum is "by far" the most used Access forum on the MS network.
>>
>> My letter to you made it sound like I wanted my work doing for me, this
>> is
>> not what I intended. I was mealy trying to point out that if a question
>> is
>> asked in English it is more likely to receive an answer than if asked in
>> other languages.
>>
>> I want to make a special apology to Mr Larry Linson as I used the word
>> "Angry" to refer to him response to my original post. I should have used
>> "Curt" or "prompt". This means he told me very firmly and quickly to
>> learn
>> to use the program. He was correct in this. So once again I am sorry to
>> you
>> Mr Larry Linson.
>>

>> As for Mr Arron Kempf - we have people like this in France also - I will

Larry Linson

Jul 30, 2008, 11:55:41 AM7/30/08
Piere,

I accept your gracious apology, and apologize, in turn, that my response was
"curt". I intended it to be prompt and straightforward but did not intend
it to seem "angry" or "curt".

Certainly in this newsgroup, the emphasis is on English. It addresses a very
large segment of the Microsoft customer base. There are some very competent
Access users and developers who speak French, and some of them post here
from time to time. Some, like me, have a second language but are not
sufficiently proficient, or are so out-of-practice, that we are not
comfortable trying to even understand posts in that language, much less
attempting to respond in the language.

I certainly cannot speak for Microsoft, but I can point out that Microsoft
provides _exactly the same support_ for the French-language Access
newsgroups as they do for the English-language newsgroups -- they provide
the server and the software that supports the newsgroup and personnel who
maintain and administer the newsgroup application. They do not, in either,
provide Microsoft employees to answer questions. The number and quality of
posts simply reflects the extent of the user community who speak the
language. It is not a matter of "bias" on Microsoft's part.

It is true that it is usually impossible to simply copy and paste code
posted in a newsgroup and have it work in your own application, except when
the code is identified as a general-use procedure or function.

I hope that Wayne I-M's response in this thread was helpful to you. I
certainly found it instructive.

Regards,

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

"Piere Garmond" <PiereG...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> English checked by Graham Watson (from London) now living in Val 'dIsere -

> "but" not changed in any way unless shown

> Dear members (P said Dear Mr and Mrs)
>
> I have spoken to my English friend who has informed me that the word
> "Racist" that I used in my last letter to this forum was wrong. The
> original
> French word I used was "biased" and my limited English skills altered the
> entire focus of my letter by using the wrong translation.
>
> I am truly sorry for any offence I have caused (many people put that in
> letters and on signs - but I really do mean it). I did not mean to imply
> that any individuals were against me due to my country of origin.

> (P said everyday - I have change it to truly - Graham)

> I still truley believe that this forum and the majority of the Microsoft
> "empire ?" plays lip service to other languages as a marketing tool. This
> forum is "by far" the most used Access forum on the MS network.
>
> My letter to you made it sound like I wanted my work doing for me, this is
> not what I intended. I was mealy trying to point out that if a question
> is
> asked in English it is more likely to receive an answer than if asked in
> other languages.
>
> I want to make a special apology to Mr Larry Linson as I used the word
> "Angry" to refer to him response to my original post. I should have used
> "Curt" or "prompt". This means he told me very firmly and quickly to
> learn
> to use the program. He was correct in this. So once again I am sorry to
> you
> Mr Larry Linson.
>

> As for Mr Arron Kempf - we have people like this in France also - I will
> say
> no more.

Wayne-I-M

Jul 30, 2008, 3:14:24 PM7/30/08
Hi Larry

There is another function that I have made up for a DB I created that I
think would have been too much details for Pere but you may want to give it a
try. It is very specific to our needs but it would work anywhere G Maps
accept codes (main North America, Europe and Astralia and New Zeland)

I have a thried variable option that is in a very simpl combo based directly
on a table that will size the map as needed. OK I know its a cheat but users
like it so >>>>>:-)

Go to Google maps (thins one will do as an example)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.553363,-2.834473&spn=1.517434,3.515625&z=8
Northern England

Create a table
Area = Text (primary)

Create a table
Size = Text
UTF = Text
Area (link)

In the area field add North England (for 4 records)
In the size field (in the four records) Big, Medium, Small, Local
In the UTF field add
Big = UTF8&ll=53.553363,-2.834473&spn=1.517434,3.515625&z=8
Medium = UTF8&ll=53.496216,-2.331848&spn=0.379873,0.878906&z=10
Small = UTF8&ll=53.479057,-2.254257&spn=0.095007,0.219727&z=12
Local = UTF8&ll=53.478648,-2.243614&spn=0.023752,0.054932&z=14

Add 2 casscading combos for area and size (add the 2nd as a varibale to your
code)

Something like
"http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q="
& strGoogleLoaction & "&ie=& strMapSize"

with a Dim strMapSize at the start of the code

Not exact as don't have that DB FE on this machine but I'm sure you get the
method and will have done this type of thing a million times

Of course if your maps are of Texas you need to add other sizes
Masive, Enormous, Huge, etc

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

david@epsomdotcomdotau

Jul 30, 2008, 11:59:28 PM7/30/08
That is a very well written message, and I appreciate the
work that has gone into it. I have difficulty being that
polite and well spoken even in my first language.

We very rarely see any Microsoft employees offering
any help in these Access forums, because when they
do, they generally demonstrate poor knowledge of
Access.

It is not that MS offers poor support only in other
languages. MS offers poor support here too.

I know that it takes 6 months to fix even simple language
bugs. That is bad. But in Access we are lucky to get bugs
fixed at all. For example the Autonumber bug has never
been fixed correctly, and it is now 8 years since it was
introduced.

This is no comfort to you, but we are all in the same boat.
We all wish that there was good competition for MS, just
to make MS pay more attention to producing a good product.

Unfortunately the Open Source products I am forced to
use are bug ridden and poorly supported. Who knew that
you could not save spread-sheet macros in Open Office
for the last two years?

And the Open Source newsgroups that I am required
to read are even worse, because the helpful people are
ignorant, and the expert people are arrogant and insulting.
I don't know why this is so, but MS is very lucky.
Perhaps the French newsgroups are different?

(david)

"Piere Garmond" <PiereG...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> English checked by Graham Watson (from London) now living in Val 'dIsere -

> "but" not changed in any way unless shown

> Dear members (P said Dear Mr and Mrs)
>
> I have spoken to my English friend who has informed me that the word
> "Racist" that I used in my last letter to this forum was wrong. The
original
> French word I used was "biased" and my limited English skills altered the
> entire focus of my letter by using the wrong translation.
>
> I am truly sorry for any offence I have caused (many people put that in
> letters and on signs - but I really do mean it). I did not mean to imply
> that any individuals were against me due to my country of origin.

> (P said everyday - I have change it to truly - Graham)

> I still truley believe that this forum and the majority of the Microsoft
> "empire ?" plays lip service to other languages as a marketing tool. This
> forum is "by far" the most used Access forum on the MS network.
>
> My letter to you made it sound like I wanted my work doing for me, this is
> not what I intended. I was mealy trying to point out that if a question
is
> asked in English it is more likely to receive an answer than if asked in
> other languages.
>
> I want to make a special apology to Mr Larry Linson as I used the word
> "Angry" to refer to him response to my original post. I should have used
> "Curt" or "prompt". This means he told me very firmly and quickly to
learn
> to use the program. He was correct in this. So once again I am sorry to
you
> Mr Larry Linson.
>

> As for Mr Arron Kempf - we have people like this in France also - I will
say
> no more.

sgmaxmp11

Aug 3, 2008, 3:13:58 AM8/3/08