Store hyperlink, when filename may have # in the name?

Larry

Jan 10, 2006, 3:31:18 PM1/10/06
I need to store a hyperlink to the location of filenames in the
database. I have been succseful in storing the information (so far) by
assigning the field the required values separated by hash marks (#, or
pound signs or whatever you want to call them).

I have a text field on the form with a Browse button. The user selects
the file, using the browse button, and I store it in the text field as
follows:
Me.txtContractLocation = strPath & "#" & strPath

This shows the full path as well as creating the hyperlink so the user
can click on it.

Now that it's working, I found a document (among the test documents the
user gave me) that has a name which has a hash mark in it called "File
Test #1.jpg". Needless to say, this totally screws up my current
method.

So, NOW what do I do???

I know, I know, tell the users NOT to use stupid names (but try telling
that to a bunch of engineers!).

Thoughts, comments, solutions???

Thanks,
Larry

BTW, Access 2003, Windows XP

Ron Hinds

Jan 10, 2006, 7:47:03 PM1/10/06
Whenever I need a delimiter I try to use this key: `

It's the un-shifted tilde character. I don't know what you call it but
that's my point - no one else does either and I've yet to have a user stick
that character into *anything*.

"Larry" <llj...@netscape.net> wrote in message

Larry

Jan 10, 2006, 8:46:52 PM1/10/06
True, it is a good character and one I use when I have an option.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Access requires the # character as
the separator for the different parts of a hyperlink.