ADP 2000 deployment problems

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2005, 2:49:22 PM6/10/05
so i've got a SQL 2000 trail edition on my desktop; trying to get
someone else to connect via Access 2000 Data Projects.

Wasn't the SQL2000/Access2000 patch included with Office 2000 SP3?

how can i tell if that patch is installed?

any other clues?

thanks

-aaron

Kevin3NF

Jun 10, 2005, 2:58:49 PM6/10/05
What patch?

--
Kevin Hill
President

www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm

www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.

www.experts-exchange.com - experts compete for points to answer your
questions

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2005, 3:01:16 PM6/10/05
so i've got a SQL 2000 trail edition on my desktop; trying to get
someone else to connect via Access 2000 Data Projects.

Wasn't the SQL2000/Access2000 patch included with Office 2000 SP3?

how can i tell if that patch is installed?

any other clues?

thanks

basically the end user gets an error like
The ADP comes up and then stays "disconnected".
error message comes up saying "no such interface supported"

-aaron

Norman Yuan

Jun 10, 2005, 3:21:34 PM6/10/05
If your SQL Server is installed correctly and the "someone else" are
networked to your computer, they only need Access2000 or later, nothing
else. What problem do you have? Why ask "patch"?

You simply do:

1. Copy the Access Project file (*.adp) to the other computer;
2. Double-click to start it. if the connection setting in the file is
connect, you are done. If the connection setting is not correct (for
example, when you work with it on your computer, you may have specified the
SQL Server name as "(local)" instead of a server name), then the Acceess
project will take some time to start, trying to connect to the server (of
course, it cannot get connected, in this case). After about 30 second, the
Access project will be started without being connected to SQL Server (you
will see forms, reports, code modules, but not tables, views, sps). Then,
you click menu "File->Connection..." to connect the Access project to the
SQL Server on your computer (or on any other computer networked).

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2005, 3:34:02 PM6/10/05
yeah i just can't get it to connect and im under the gun and i need it
to connect

and it's a standard corporate desktop; i dont have time to fix patches
you know what i mean?

i just know it works MUCH better than i remembered in Access 2000 on my
local machine.. It's a named instance..

do i need to put servername\$instancename in the connection box?

or just servername\instancename?

anything else i need to do to get a named instance to work correctly
with ADP?

-aaron

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2005, 3:41:05 PM6/10/05
re: what patch..

the uh.. patch that allows Access _2000_ to work with SQL Server
_2000_.

I just can't believe that they won't let the left hand talk to the
right hand
i mean-- ridiuclous that Access 2000 and SQL 2000 aren't best of
friends

Norman Yuan

Jun 10, 2005, 8:11:24 PM6/10/05
Again, no "patch" issue here. Simply make sure you enter the correct server
name: "ServerComputerName" or "ServerComputerName\SQLInstanceName". If you
enter all information correctly in "Data Link Properties" dialog box, you
should get connected. Make sure the user from other computer has permission
to log in (Windows security or SQL Login, depending on the SQL Server
configuration).

What exactly is happening that you cannot connect? Error message? Nothing at
all? Prompt for "patch"?. What OS? Old Win95? The only thing needed is MS
Data Access Components (Mdac_type.exe), which comes with all Windows
version. If your OS is Win95/98, you may want to may sure to update it to
newer version (2.8 is the latest, free download. Also, since Access2K was
release before SQL Server 2000, there may be some issues, but it is not
likely your problem (what problem other than crying for "patch"?). I used
Access 2K to connect SQL Server/MSDE for years, from Win98, 2K, XP, Windows
Server2003, without issue.

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2005, 12:14:23 AM6/13/05
it is a Windows XP machine.

Without SP2.

and it's a Office 2000 SP3 install.

Isn't there a patch required for Access 2000 ADP to work with SQL
Server 2000?

Again, the PM that approved that concept should be fired; Access 2000
_should_ plug into SQL 2000 without a problem.

God, i wish that MS would take Access seriously.

Excel is a disease; and it thrives because Microsoft doesn't take
Access seriously.

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2005, 12:14:55 AM6/13/05

Without SP2.

AND YOU'RE DEFINITELY TALKING ABOUT ACCESS DATA PROJECTS RIGHT???????
AND YOU'RE DEFINITELY TALKING ABOUT ACCESS DATA PROJECTS RIGHT???????
AND YOU'RE DEFINITELY TALKING ABOUT ACCESS DATA PROJECTS RIGHT???????

Kevin3NF

Jun 13, 2005, 9:01:53 AM6/13/05
No, there's not a patch required
It does
They do
Excel is an outstanding tool when used for the correct purpose

Would you care to give us some actual error messages or a link to where you
saw that there is a patch required?

--
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting

www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm

www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.

www.experts-exchange.com - experts compete for points to answer your
questions

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Norman Yuan

Jun 13, 2005, 10:21:37 AM6/13/05
Again, and again, if you really know what you are talking, or asking, no
"patch" issue. Please detail what exactly is your problem. Something that
you cannot make it work, while thousands other make it work very well, does
not necessarily mean the product is bad. Do your study first.

Access2K project works with SQL Sever2000 fairly well, although Asscess2K
was released before SQL Sever 2K and there is an downloadable update to make
Access2K more compatible to SQL Server, but it is not a "Must Have" thing.

If you can get you started on Access2K project, and run into problem, focus
on the problem, rather than keep asking "patch". If you simply cannot get
started, Access Help is good place to get started. I can only assure you
that Access2K WORKS with SQL Server2K.

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2005, 1:03:30 PM6/14/05
there is a patch required to get ACCESS DATA PROJECTS working against
SQL 2000.

was it included with one of the service packs?

i dont know; i cant find it.

But it's not working.

screw microsoft.. they're too drunk on thier own success to be
successful anymore.

Kevin3NF

Jun 14, 2005, 2:24:16 PM6/14/05
I have created ADPs against SQL 2000 using Access 2000 with no patches.

:P

--
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting

www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm

www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.

www.experts-exchange.com - experts compete for points to answer your
questions

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2005, 2:55:11 PM6/14/05
ok you have SP3?

i just coudlnt' figure out what my connection problems are; Windows
didnt' work; SQL authentication didnt work

so i quit the job

not my job to troubleshoot ms products.. thats why i use Access-- is so
that if something goes wrong; it's microsofts job to fix the problem

i had office 2000 sp3 and everything else I needed.

i'm just frustrated; i wish that ADP had been more successful in the
marketplace.

i love them; but my rule has always been 'absolutely no office 2000'
because it's their version 1.0 product

i love xp and 2003 adps-- i just wish that microsoft was more
successful in working out the bugs in ADP

-aaron

Kevin3NF

Jun 14, 2005, 4:17:27 PM6/14/05
No patches, no service packs.

I use 2003 now, since they have improved ADP. 2000 was a version 1 product,
which is a crapshoot for almost any real application. As someone previously
mentioned, this was released before SQL 2000 (I didn't recall that, but
don't doubt it).

Every product form every vendor has bugs. Part of life. Name one other
software manufacturer where the opportunities to make a living are so
prevalent and varied, either by creating with them or supporting them...

--
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting

www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm

www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.

www.experts-exchange.com - experts compete for points to answer your
questions

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Norman Yuan

Jun 15, 2005, 10:59:38 AM6/15/05
I am just so curiously to know WHAT is exactly the problem you have other
than keeping asking PATCH, which Kevin and I have assured your several times
that it is not a "MUST-HAVE" thing and Access2K ADP DOES work with SQL
Server2K?

After this thread going on this long, I (probably and Kevin, I am sure) am
so puzzled and eager to know if there is something for us to learn from you
that I never run into before on the Access2K adp issue. So, please, give
some details of your technical problem. It is certain, Access2K, as any
other software, contains bugs, but there is no a known bug preventing you
from using it with SQL Server2K, if you really know how to use Access ADP. I
started using Access2K with MSDE1.0 (SQL Server7) and then SQL
Server2K/MSDE2K and felt it is so easy to use that even now I have full SQL
Server with Enterprise Manager, I still use Access ADP as my routine UI to
deal with SQL Server2K.

Could you detail your problem(s) that I may have never run into, so that I
can really learn something new, and if possible, offer some help you may
need on using Access ADP to SQL Server?

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 12:50:08 PM6/15/05
it doesnt connect.

i mean-- what do i check; versions of drivers?

i can get this connection to SQL 2k working from Access 2k once someone
has installed the SQL Server client tools

i'm doing this for a oracle/ibm shop so im trying to do this using MSDE
only.

what drivers do i need to install?

i have tried it from multiple machines; nobody has XP SP2
everyone has office 2000 SP3 and i coudn't get it to work (without
purchasing SQL Server)

I dont want to install SQL Server client tools on every machine in the
company.. i mean-- 100k desktops
but uh.. what do i need to do to get Access 2000 ADP working against
SQL 2000 ADP?

So you sit there and tell me i dont need a patch

well it's not working.. and there used to be a Access 2000 SQL 2000
patch

what happened to it; what is it called and isn't it slipstreamed into
Office 2000 SP2 or Office 2000 SP3?

if it's 'supposed to be slipstreamed' how can i tell if that patch is
really there?

ps - what are the limits on machine names.. like seriously.. is 15
characters too long for a SQL Server name?

i tried it with IP; i tried if with sql authenitcation and windows
authentication

POS company won't fix SQL authentication.. boycott microsoft!

Kevin3NF

Jun 15, 2005, 2:04:44 PM6/15/05
File>>Connection

When you enter your connection info and hit test connection, what happens?

--
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting

www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm

www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.

www.experts-exchange.com - experts compete for points to answer your
questions

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 3:59:14 PM6/15/05
says server not found or something like that

i tried it a dozen times.. Windows Authentication or SQL
authentication.. i got it working from my machine just perfectly..

i coudln't get it working agains the trial edition of full SQL 2000. I
coudln't get it to work against MSDE (with DisableNetworkProtocols=0
obviously)

just frustrating... i haven't had a trouble with a connection like this
before

but i guess it's a moot point since i quit that job anyways.. i mean--
thats' why i use Access-- is so that it's Microsofts' job to handle
connection problems.

but they're not holding up their end of the bargain.

it's just frustrating..

i've seen 100 bugs in my days where Microsoft says 'this is a known bug
in Access'

and i just dont see this company taking Access seriously enough.

kinda pisses me off; makes me wish i had focused on Oracle 8 years
ago.. maybe i wouldnt' have to deal with bully companies that put out
crap products (I'm referring to Microsoft; not to Oracle).. i dont know

thats just how i see it-- these jerks won't fix holes in Access because
some Excel dork is in charge of the Access people-- i can tell just by
the way they act.

I just wish that they would take Access seriously.. i mean-- it's the
greatest product of all time
and these jerks refuse to fix holes and bugs left and right

i mean-- anyone else ever use the 'create proc sphappy' syntax as
listed in BOL?

that syntax hoses up ADP and these MS people are too drunk with their
own success to sell reliable products.

-aaron

-aaron

Norman Yuan

Jun 15, 2005, 4:12:33 PM6/15/05
Again and again, no PATCH is required!!!

OK, go to the point: you cannot connect a SQL Server/MSDE.

Here is what you need:

On the server:

1. Install a SQL Server/MSDE on a computer of your network. If it is MSDE,
make sure its network accessibility is not disabled.
2. Create appropriate SQL Server logins (Whether you use Window integrated
security or mixed security) for expected users.
3. Create database or attach some sample databases (famous "Northwind", for
example) to the SQL Server/MSDE so that you can test
4. Assign proper access permission to users

If you are not sure 2, 3 and 4 aforementioned, I'd suggest you do some study
before rush to Access2xxx project.

On client computer (could be the same computer as the server, if you do if
testing/developing).

1. Make sure you have pretty up-to-date MDAC installed (it comes witth all
cversion of Windows. Just in case you are using Win95/98 where the MDAC
could be too old for SQL Server2K, aren't you? Win2K comes with MDAC2.5,
WinXP - 2.6/2.7/2.8. Very likely, the MDAC on your computer has been already
updated to 2.7 or 2.8 if you have installed some software fromo MS or other
venders. MDAC will install reqired SQL Server client library to the
computer).

2. Start a new Access 2K Project and choose to use existing database.
a. You will be presented a "Data Link Properties" dialog box.
b. Enter correct SQL Server/MSDE name. Note, if you use QL Server
instance name when installing it, you need to enter
"ComputerName\SQLServerInstanceName";
c. Chooes Window security or SQL Server username/password, depending on
how the SQLServer is set up (ask yourself here);
d. You should be able to see a list of available database on the SQL
Server/MSDE for your selection, including "master", "model", "msdb",
"Northwind" (if you attached/installed it). Pick a database you want the ADP
to connect to.
e. Click "test Connection" button to make sure the ADP can connect to
the database you choose.

You are done, if you did things correctly. There is really nothing on the
client computer (hundreds or thousands) need to do, if their Windows are
pretty up-to-date (actaully, even Window95 also OK), no MS Office is
required. Only need Access2K or later to run *.adp file.

I think, in most cases, it is the SQL Server security thing that cause
trouble for novice users, who do not study enough on this topic. SQL Server
is a very important server software and it is very natural strict security
is required. I would not recommend anyone try to use SQL Server/MSDE without
very basic understanding its security. I mean, getting Access project
connected to SQL Server is very easy as long as you set up SQL Server
correctly. It is not a problem of Access2K, it is, probably, your problem on
setting up SQL Server/MSDE, if I dare to guess.

Again, WHAT is exactly your problem other than saying "it does not connect"?
What did you do, step by step? What error you got if you can go several
steps ahead?

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 3:59:23 PM6/15/05

Kevin3NF

Jun 15, 2005, 4:23:58 PM6/15/05
You know....I think I'm done here. I'm a really patient guy, and I
understand frustration but I'm just tired of having to pick through your
ranting and raving against Microsoft to find a nugget of information that I
might be able to use to help you.

I was on the PSS Support team for SQL Server for 6 months as a contractor
and resolved dozens of SQL Server not found cases that were very likely more
complex than whatever you are facing. But I was getting paid for that
frustration. This I will no longer do for free.

<unsubscribe>

--
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting

www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm

www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.

www.experts-exchange.com - experts compete for points to answer your
questions

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 5:02:33 PM6/15/05
thanks i dont mean to be a jerk
i just ask for Microsoft to start taking Access seriously.

i mean-- they're throwing it away and starting from scratch; without
ever fixing these dozens of bugs

Excel dorks wouldn't put up with this

why does microsoft abuse Access developers?

i just am clueless why they are so short-sighted

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 5:04:25 PM6/15/05
Access connection doesnt work.

i dont have the exact text.

it just makes me mad when things dont work like they shoud.

I am a ADP nationalist.

Screw Excel; the internet and MDB

ADP is the best platform in the world and Microsoft isn't taking them
seriously.

what you say is 'look before you leap'

i am stuck with this POS access 2000 and Microsoft is selling it--- for
cold, hard cash

why do they sell buggy products?

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 5:05:21 PM6/15/05

Norman Yuan

Jun 15, 2005, 8:30:08 PM6/15/05
Just like Kevin, I am now really think that you really do not know what you
are talking about (not meant to be rude here). It is very clear your problem
is, as I suspected, you do not know SQLServer/MSDE while claiming Access ADP
is good platform and MS did not do good enough on it. Look, you canot not
even describe what your problem is. A complicated software like SQL Server
will not automatically work for you. If a SQL Server is just as simple as
you to start Excel (you kept mention it), your SQL server will be destroyed
within days, if not hours. It is not foll-proof toy, it is SERVER software,
it must be secrued very well.

Access ADP is spesifically designed for SQL Server. If you have no knowledge
on SQL Server/MSDE, there is no point to touch Acccess ADP. Study on SQL
Server for the very basic knowledge IS required in your case, other than
blame others for you not knowing how to do things correctly.

<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Larry Linson

Jun 15, 2005, 11:52:30 PM6/15/05
<aaron...@gmail.com> wrote

> thanks i dont mean to be a jerk

If you really don't want to be a jerk, Aaron, stop filling your posts to a
technical newsgroup with whining. Start providing enough detailed
information for people who know what they are doing (Kevin and Normal are
two of them) that they can analyze the situtation and offer useful
suggestions.

If you can't get the required Server to connect, how would you know whether
or not ADPs were any good? Do you just like the _idea_?

My experience is that ADPs are OK -- just OK, not _better_. Applications
done with ADP have some nice features; applications done with MDB/ODBC have
some nice features.All in all, I doubt it is worth the time and effort to
become proficient with ADP for most who already develop using MDB / ODBC.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

aaron...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2005, 11:31:24 PM6/15/05
hey fuck you asshole

i've been doing SQL Server fulltime for 5 years.. im a developer..
technically a data warehouse / analysis services developer

i just think that it's bullshit that microsoft can't make this shit
work

i mean-- it's a known fact that Access 2000 and SQL 2000 don't play
nice.
I haven't ever gotten it working flawlessly-- it is buggy as hell.

create a procedure in isqlw (thats query analyzer lol)
create proc sphappy as select * from sysobjects
go

open this sproc in Access.. and change the fields around; hit save and
you got a message
'the parameter is incorrect'

i mean-- why the hell can't Microsoft afford to fix bugs like this?

what the hell kindof show are they running over there?
i've got a half-dozen other bugs.. in ADP

i love the platform-- it is the best platform ever built

but it's buggy as hell and microsoft needs to wake up and start acting
like a grown up company.

microsoft just ins't mobilizing-- microsoft ins't engaging the
developer community.. microsoft can't fix annoying bugs in their
products

and microsoft is run by a bunch of excel dorks-- i mean-- do the math;
excel is QUITE POLISHED compared to Access.. (but the product is a
total waste of labor hours)

Access ADP is the most important; best reporting platform in the world.

What do you think?

That Crystal Reports and Excel and SQL Server Reporting Services rules
the world?

Access reports are EVERYWHERE

it just makes me mad that Microsoft won't do this:

a) fix bugs in your products
b) give Access _EASY_TO_USE_ OLAP Reporting abilities (like CR has the
ability to do)
c) talk about the future of Access
d) stop trying to shove Visual Studio down our throats and START TAKING
ACCESS SERIOUSLY.

Access 2000 and SQL 2000 can't work together; reliably.

And I can't find the patch that they used to have.. i just thinnk that
it's ridiculous that Access 2000 and SQL 2000 don't play nice together.

And I think that it's ridiculous that Microsoft is losing the database
war-- just because they're not taking Access seriously.

I just claim that Excel dorks are in charge of the database folk at
MIcrosoft; and I call for Excel to fuck off and START OFFERING SERIOUS,
STABLE AND FLEXIBLE REPORTING & DATA ENTRY OPTIONS