grouping on a mailing label.

Bruce Musgrove

Sep 22, 2005, 11:46:20 PM9/22/05
Fields:
PCName
PurchaseOrder
SWInv Number (software inventory number)
SWApp (software application
SWLicnese

I am trying to set up a mailing label report to print Avery 5163 (2" x 4")
labels for my CD storage cases. I want to group on the PCname and have all
of the associated SWinv numbers print underneath it on one label. There is
usually 1-3 SWINV records per PCname
When printed it should look this (assuming there are 3 SWINV records
associated with the PCName)

PCName
PurchaseOrder
SWInv SWApp SWLicnese
SWInv SWApp SWLicnese
SWInv SWApp SWLicnese

I assume, based on my attempts so far, that you cannot group on a mailing
label.

I can set up a form that does this, make the form the same size as the label
and it works, but as a soon as I set up the columns to get the 2 across and
5 down printing on a sheet of labels, it quits grouping and insists on a
separate label for each SWINV

I can concatenate "SWInv SWApp SWLicnese" into one field (call it SWCombo).
If I can create a query (using SQL maybe) to get each PCname to be one
record and each unique SWCombo for that PCname to be a seperate column, I
could get this to work. My experience is sadly lacking in this, and I can't
wrap my brain around it. Can anyone give me a pointer on this?

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill. Tx

Duane Hookom

Sep 23, 2005, 9:17:17 AM9/23/05
I would change the record source of the report to return only each distinct
PC. Then create a small subreport that includes the PCName as well as the
SWINV records. Add the subreport to the detail section of the main report
and fix its size to the max and don't allow it to grow.

Make sure your main report is set up to match Avery 5163.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

"Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole...@comcast.net> wrote in message