Where do you go for instruction in Access VBA instruction?

Chris Hayes

Apr 26, 2007, 10:36:00 PM4/26/07
I would like to find a book that shows you how to do things like..

Take a cell of information and split it into a different field over 25000
records

I've read books where people show you code on how to do things like this but
it's not inteligable. Then I've read books on doing things with VBA that
(this is beyond me but true) you can do with Access alone. Isn't the purpose
of VBA to help you do tricky things, repetative things etcetera?

That's my rant for this year...
--
Chris Hayes
Still a beginner (only 12 years)

[fyi, you can email me by getting rid of the British Comedian''s name who
wrote that song about "Spam"]

Klatuu

Apr 27, 2007, 9:06:09 AM4/27/07
Well, you are in one of the best places to get instructions on how to do
things. If you have read some books, but are still confused, welcome to the
club :)
Certainly there are things you can do without VBA, but VBA vastly expands
the possibilities.
The books are written to be generic and to show how to accomplish common
tasks; however, sometimes when we get into the particulars, we can get a
little lost.

As to your specific question, where are you getting this cell of information
(there really are no cells in Access, that is Excel)? And what are you
wanting to do with it? It is not usual to repeat the same bit of information
25000 times.

If you want some assistance, post back and we can probably help.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

Albert D. Kallal

Apr 27, 2007, 11:37:05 AM4/27/07
Write books, write software or writing music is much the same.

I doubt you can find a book that explains how to build a double size dog
house with two entrances for your two dog.

yet, many many people have two dogs, and need a dog house with two places in
it. So, why does not such a book exist for such a common occurance?

However, I bet you can find a book on carpentry. I bet you can find books on
woodworking. And, I bet you can find a book on how to build a dog
house...but, finding that one that shows you how to build a double entrance
dog house is likely not to be found.

So, this much like asking for a book that gives the answer for 30 + 30 = 60.
You not find that book, but you find MANY books on math, and how to add
numbers.

It is obtaining that skill that allows you to solve those math problems, or
in our case a programming problems is what becomes valuable.

Be it learning music, becoming a brain surgeon, or a software developer can
take MANY years, and there not going to be a book that tells you how to do
brain surgery no more then how to write a great novel, or how to write a pac
man game in ms-access (which I been planning to do for some time now).

Learning the answer of 400 is the result of 200 + 200 is not much use. You
need to learn to add because every problem you encounter in a day is going
to be different.

So, a good book with some VBA exampels is a great way to get started. I not
sure which ones you tried, but some suggests can be found here:

http://home.bendbroadband.com/conradsystems/accessjunkie/resources.html

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Aaron Kempf

May 2, 2007, 4:48:47 PM5/2/07
Access is obsolete

there are real tangible classes and learning resources for SQL Server

but learning Access would be like studying the transmission for a 1943
hudson- not realistically practical

"Chris Hayes" <hayes.csm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Klatuu

May 2, 2007, 5:04:01 PM5/2/07
You sir, are an idiot. You obviously know little or nothing about Access.
If you have no interest in it, why are you in the Access newsgroups spreading
misinformation?

--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

Chris Hayes

May 2, 2007, 10:43:01 PM5/2/07
I would like to say a few things about this forum:

1) The MVP's here are some of the greatest people I've met. They are
extreemly helpful, knowledgable and friendly.

2) Microsoft Office is, without a doubt, the premier office software studio
around. No one (I mean no one) comes close.

3) MS Access is an extreemly strong and viable solution for many clients. I
happen to be dealing with someone right now who is using Access (a non-profit
who just moved to Office 2003) and Access is the perfect solution for them
(now if they can just find the perfect person to get their 97 application up
to par with 2003, quite a task for little ole me.)

Hope that helps.