acwzmain & acwztool

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 5:49:01 AM9/23/09
I'm using 2003. My datbase FE just recently bloated from 85MB to 99MB
within one day. No major changes were made to the design. I backup and
compact daily. After compact the size remained 99MB.

I was running Visual Basic and noticed a couple "new" things in the
project window:
acwzmain (ACWZMAIN)
acwztool(ACWZTOOL)

Each one has 3 folders:
MS Office Access Class Objects
Modules
Class Modules

Have these always been there and I'm only just now noticing? Or did
something glitchy happen and they're the reason that my database
bloated? Are they a bug?

Thanks for your response!

Alex Dybenko

Sep 23, 2009, 6:17:51 AM9/23/09
do not see anything wrong, acwzmain and acwztool are access built-in
wizards, once you have run it - you will find it listed in project window

--
Best regards,
___________

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 6:45:58 AM9/23/09
Thanks, Alex! I guess I just never noticed them before. Still curious
how my database bloated...

On Sep 23, 6:17 am, "Alex Dybenko"

<alex...@PLEASE.cemi.NO.rssi.SPAM.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
> do not see anything wrong, acwzmain  and acwztool are access built-in
> wizards, once you have run it - you will find it listed in project window
>
> --
> Best regards,
> ___________

> Alex Dybenko (MVP)http://accessblog.nethttp://www.PointLtd.com

> "johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

> > I'm using 2003. My datbase FE just recently bloated from 85MB to 99MB
> > within one day. No major changes were made to the design. I backup and
> > compact daily. After compact the size remained 99MB.
>
> > I was running Visual Basic and noticed a couple "new" things in the
> > project window:
> > acwzmain (ACWZMAIN)
> > acwztool(ACWZTOOL)
>
> > Each one has 3 folders:
> > MS Office Access Class Objects
> > Modules
> > Class Modules
>
> > Have these always been there and I'm only just now noticing? Or did
> > something glitchy happen and they're the reason that my database
> > bloated? Are they a bug?
>

> > Thanks for your response!- Hide quoted text -

Paul Shapiro

Sep 23, 2009, 8:02:08 AM9/23/09
I would try creating a new blank db and importing everything from your
existing FE. Unless there are a huge number of images or similar in the FE,
99MB seems much bigger than I would expect for a FE without any data. Access
sometimes loses track of the garbage it should clean up during a
compact/repair. I always keep a clean master copy of the FE, and users run a
local copy of that master on their own workstation.

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 9:46:09 AM9/23/09
Hi, Paul.

YIKES! I really haven't had a *need* to do that for a long time and
now that I have my file just shrivelled to 40MB!!! What a HUGE
difference!

So the file bloated to 85MB despite daily compacting. Then it porked
up to 99MB over night for no apparent reason. I thought it was the odd
appearance of the wizards. Alex' comments seemed to disconfirm that
however I just checked out the VBA project window of my new copy and I
do NOT see the wizards there.

Something very fishy...

On Sep 23, 8:02 am, "Paul Shapiro" <p...@hideme.broadwayData.com>
wrote:

> > > bloated? Are they a bug?- Hide quoted text -

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 10:40:33 AM9/23/09
Well, now I've got other issues! I tried running some reports and they
generated the error that their underlying queries have ambiguous outer
joins! I opened my bloated copy and those same reports runs fine as
they ALWAYS have!

Good grief! It's always SOMETHING!!!

I'm heading for a breakdown...

Marshall Barton

Sep 23, 2009, 11:10:44 AM9/23/09
johnlute wrote:

There was a bug in the original release of A2003 where
compact did not reclaim space. Check to make sure you are
up to date with the service packs.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 11:08:53 AM9/23/09
John,

The reason you don't see thoise wizards anymore is because you have not yet
run them in the new database. Once you run them they will appear.

Bloating can occur if you are running Make Table, Append and/or Update
queries. Is that the case? Just as curious is the fact that your FE is
*kinda* big. About how many forms and queries?

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 11:11:23 AM9/23/09
John,

1. Check your references...
http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/References.htm
2. Make Name Auto Correct is turned off
3. Make sure Compact on Close is unchecked

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 11:21:44 AM9/23/09
Hi, Gina!

> The reason you don't see thoise wizards anymore is because you have not yet
> run them in the new database.  Once you run them they will appear.

Gotcha.

Now I need to work on why I'm getting ambiguous outer join errors.
Yipeee!

> Bloating can occur if you are running Make Table, Append and/or Update
> queries.  Is that the case?  Just as curious is the fact that your FE is
> *kinda* big.  About how many forms and queries?

I am NOT running those kinds of queries.

The FE has 300+ forms and 300+ reports not to mention a good number of
queries. Most of the forms and reports are fairly complex. It links to
300+ tables.

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 11:40:34 AM9/23/09
Thanks, Marsh.

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I check for the most recent
service pack?

> MVP [MS Access]- Hide quoted text -

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 11:42:49 AM9/23/09
Gina,

> 1. Check your references...http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/References.htm

Love your site! I've checked my references (should've known to do
that!) and I see a couple that are missing but I don't see them in the
list, either. Is it a matter of browsing to find them?

> 2. Make Name Auto Correct is turned off

Was not off but I turned it off. Query problem still exists.

> 3. Make sure Compact on Close is unchecked

It was indeed.

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 11:41:19 AM9/23/09
John,

Please post the exact wording (or as close as possible) of the error when
you try to open the report. Also, Marshall has a good point... are you up
to date on your patches? Seems odd that upon importing into a new database
cuts it in half.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

Banana

Sep 23, 2009, 11:51:31 AM9/23/09
to johnlute
johnlute wrote:
>> 2. Make Name Auto Correct is turned off
>
> Was not off but I turned it off. Query problem still exists.

I don't know if it will directly address your problem but FWIW, if I
found a database that had AutoCorrupt on, I believe it's not enough to
just turn off; it has to be imported into a new blank database with the
AutoCorrupt already turned off. The reason for this is to strip out any
bogus stuff AutoCorrupt may have had introduced and turning it off does
not do that necessarily.

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 12:11:44 PM9/23/09
John,

Thanks!

You will have to Browse for them but I am curious which ones are MISSING...
Glad you got those other items done, that will save you in the long. By the
way, until you resolve those MISSING References your queries will not work.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 12:12:52 PM9/23/09
ohn,

Go to Help and About Access. You should see version and SP information
there.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

Marshall Barton

Sep 23, 2009, 12:39:05 PM9/23/09
Help About displays version/service release/pack info.

The updates can be downloaded from
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD010798671033.aspx

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 12:41:21 PM9/23/09
Gina,

> Go to Help and About Access.  You should see version and SP information
> there.

DOH! I never noticed the SP there before! I have SP3. I believe this
is the latest? In any case, my database has always compacted but this
last time it just blew up and wouldn't compact back down less than
99MB.

I took Banana's advice and went a step further. After importing each
group of objects I compacted and repaired. Now the database is down to
37MB!!! And the queries are also working - at least the huge one that
previously wasn't.

The references I'm missing are:
ctv OLE Control Module
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

Browsing for these is a daunting task. Should they be in System32
folder? The DLL filename abbreviations are impossible to tell which
ones!

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 12:42:19 PM9/23/09
Thanks! I took your advice and believe you are correct! Problems seem
to be solved...for the moment...

John Spencer

Sep 23, 2009, 12:38:49 PM9/23/09
The missing references may not be needed at all.

Try unchecking them and then compiling the VBA code. If everything compiles
with no errors, in all probability you don't need the references that were
missing.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 12:45:21 PM9/23/09
> The missing references may not be needed at all.
>
> Try unchecking them and then compiling the VBA code.  If everything compiles
> with no errors, in all probability you don't need the references that were
> missing.

Thanks, John. I have compiled and nothing *popped* so...I guess I'll
have to wait and see....

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 12:58:28 PM9/23/09
Thanks!

On Sep 23, 12:39 pm, Marshall Barton <marshbar...@wowway.com> wrote:
> Help About displays version/service release/pack info.
>

> The updates can be downloaded fromhttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD010798671033.aspx

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 1:00:14 PM9/23/09
John,

Try John Spencer's advice as you may not need them to begin with. Are you
using any Common Controls in your database?

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 12:58:27 PM9/23/09
Did not think of that...

--
Gina Whipp

II

"John Spencer" <spe...@chpdm.edu> wrote in message

johnlute

Sep 23, 2009, 2:00:10 PM9/23/09
Thanks, Gina. I tried John's advice and so far so good. I also looked
up the service packs and didn't see anything regarding the elimination
of a compacting bug.

Oh, well. I seem to have the latest service pack installed so...

I'll have to see how this pans out.

Perhaps the bloating has been caused by my working ont the database on
my home PC...? I'll have to check it out for any missing updates.

Wow - thanks so much for your time and info!!!

Gina Whipp

Sep 23, 2009, 2:20:26 PM9/23/09
John,

If you are *dialing* in to work, then yes, that is a possiblity. You should
also make sure you Compact after doing design changes.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"johnlute" <jl...@marzetti.com> wrote in message

Luke Chung-FMS

Oct 7, 2009, 8:32:07 PM10/7/09
Have you tried to decompile the database? From your description, it sounds
like the VBA section has grown out of control. When you compact, Access only
compacts the table part, not the VBA module code. This can grow considerably
if you have a lot of code and continuously edit and compile it. From what I
understand, Access keeps multiple copies of the compiled state. The
/decompile option eliminates this so when you compact after it, it's truly
removed.

For more information, read this paper I wrote:
http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/performance/decompile.asp

Hope that helps.

Luke Chung
President