Question from a newcomer with a Microdia 6128 webcam

Marcelo Todaro

Apr 30, 2008, 9:45:57 PM4/30/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Dear folks,

I've just subscribed to this group and I hope do manage getting some help.

I've got a Microdia 6128 webcam that I'm struggling to install on Ubuntu
8.04 running on a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

In a support forum I was told to start with the following commands sequence:

sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui git-doc
git clone http://repo.or.cz/r/microdia.git
cd microdia
make
sudo modprobe videodev
sudo insmod microdia.ko

The big problem is: the last command always returns the following error:

error inserting 'microdia.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

Can anyone say how to fix it (if a fix is possible)?

Thanks,

Marcelo

JoJo jojo

Apr 30, 2008, 9:55:34 PM4/30/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcelo

Kindly follw the main guide here
https://groups.google.com/group/microdia/web/testing-microdia-driver-draft

(sudo modprobe videodev compat-ioctl32, followed by sudo insmod microdia.ko)

-JoJo

Marcelo Todaro

Apr 30, 2008, 11:26:15 PM4/30/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jojo,

Thank you for the support.

After following those instructions I've been able to make Ubuntu
recognize my webcam. But no image is shown.

Here's what happened:

The sequence...

$sudo modprobe videodev
$sudo modprobe compat-ioctl32
$sudo insmod microdia.ko

...run OK, despite no message was shown after the last command (I
thought I was going to see something like you described on your "el
gran finale" section).

As soon as I issued the last command the cam's green led turned on.
And so it stays so far.

I then run XawTV for testing. No image.

Then I followed your instructions to Install the Microdia Driver (so
that I don't have to insmod it at every reboot). Worked fine, but
still there's no image. Although XawTV, Skype and aMSN all recognize
there's a camera, none of them is able to show any image despite the
green led stays permanently on. (Oh yes, the internal mic works fine.)

What should I do next?

Thank you,

Marcelo

JoJo jojo

May 1, 2008, 12:23:43 AM5/1/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcelo

We haven't reached experimental support stage for 6128 yet.
(some have reported a patch for gspca is working,
but we don't have any expertise in gspca)

If you would like to work towards adding support for 6128,
into Microdia driver let us know

-JoJo

Marcelo Todaro

May 1, 2008, 9:21:44 AM5/1/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
JoJo jojo escreveu:

> Hi Marcelo
>
> We haven't reached experimental support stage for 6128 yet.
> (some have reported a patch for gspca is working,
> but we don't have any expertise in gspca)
>
> If you would like to work towards adding support for 6128,
> into Microdia driver let us know

I'd be glad to contribute to the effort.

However, I'm not a programmer nor even an experienced Linux user (in
fact I'm a complete Ubuntu beginner), so I don't know how my
contribution could possibly be of any worth. You say. :-)

Marcelo

JoJo jojo

May 1, 2008, 11:31:29 AM5/1/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Marcelo Todaro <todaro....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be glad to contribute to the effort.
>
> However, I'm not a programmer nor even an experienced Linux user (in
> fact I'm a complete Ubuntu beginner), so I don't know how my
> contribution could possibly be of any worth. You say. :-)
>

> Marcelo

Hi Marcelo

A lot of us are just webcam users, that have been forced to write a
kernel driver by ourselves.
(thats a conspiracy weaved upon innocent linux users that I have uncovered )

If an experienced developer takes 'x' amount of time to write the driver,
you will take 'x*n' amount of time, depending upon factors like your expertise,
perfect planetary alignment, and possibly whether live chicken
sacrifice was involved or not.

....................But you will get there some day.

The only decision you have to make is whether you are willing to put i
the time/effort needed.

If your answer is yes,

Start reading the documentation here
https://groups.google.com/group/microdia/web

and obviously we are available to answer/discuss the problems we share.

-JoJo

Dave Neuer

May 1, 2008, 12:21:26 PM5/1/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM, JoJo jojo <onetw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marcelo
>
> We haven't reached experimental support stage for 6128 yet.
> (some have reported a patch for gspca is working,
> but we don't have any expertise in gspca)
>
> If you would like to work towards adding support for 6128,
> into Microdia driver let us know

Am I correct in assuming then that this camera uses a bridge other than sn9c20x?

Do we really want to add support for other bridges which are already
supported by another driver (in this case, GSPCA)?

Dave

Brian Johnson

May 1, 2008, 12:31:06 PM5/1/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
yeah this camera uses the sn9c325 bridge so i would imagine that one
problem at least is our frame detection simply won't work with this
one.
image format it returns is probably different as well.