Opening up a RESTful API to Mezzanine?

Alec Taylor

Apr 12, 2012, 7:24:24 AM4/12/12
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Mezzanine seems to be an excellent CMS built on the django-framework.

One feature I am really looking out for is API capability.

Basically I want to be able to send/receive XML over HTTPS to achieve
the following functionality:
• Create post
• Create shop (Cartridge... extension of above point)
• Create orders
• Get orders

I am aware of mini-frameworks for API creation such as django-piston.

Are their any plans to have an API built into stock Mezzanine? - Or is
their one already built in?

If not, are their any forks you'd recommend which implement the
aforementioned required API pieces?

Thanks for all information,

Alec Taylor

Stephen McDonald

Apr 12, 2012, 7:34:25 AM4/12/12
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Love this idea. I'm not aware of any work done in this area yet.

I'd definitely use tastypie for it: http://tastypieapi.org/

Ideally it'd be as simple as an api.py module in each app (cartridge.shop, mezzanine.blog, etc)

We could even go further and implement some client libs using slumber: http://slumber.in

If you'd like to have a go at working on this that'd be awesome.
--
Stephen McDonald
http://jupo.org

Mohamed Belhadj

Jan 8, 2013, 9:05:50 AM1/8/13
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
The API feature is very important especially for Cartridge. I am trying to integrate cartridge with openerp and I think it will be a lot easier if we had Cartridhe APIs.

Stephen McDonald

Mar 21, 2013, 3:35:20 PM3/21/13
to Pahaz Blinov, mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Haven't used it myself, but I've heard a lot of good things - definitely open to it.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Pahaz Blinov <white.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:
It might make sense to use http://django-rest-framework.org/, because it is more simple.

Renyi

Apr 2, 2013, 6:12:14 AM4/2/13
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
An API for mezzanine is a great idea.

But choosing between REST and tastypie is hard, ;-)

Ken Bolton

Apr 2, 2013, 11:59:37 AM4/2/13
to mezzanine-users
I built a fairly sophisticated tastypie application on top of Django authentication in Mezzanine about 18 months ago and learned more about encryption than intended. Having only glanced at django-rest-framework in passing a few months ago, my instinct is that it would serve as a better base for a Cartridge API.

Sachin Shende

Apr 2, 2013, 1:30:33 PM4/2/13
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
I have used tastypie recently and was amazed to see how quickly got the API built. django-rest-framework looks interesting but haven't used it before.

Generally speaking, API for Cartridge is an interesting idea.

Stephen McDonald

Apr 2, 2013, 1:34:29 PM4/2/13
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Just throwing my 2 cents in around the two libraries:

I suggested tastypie originally in this thread as we use it very heavily at my workplace and so I know it pretty well.

As of about a week ago I'm now trying rest framework out on a side project just to get a better understanding of how it compares. I've only just started using it but it appears to achieve the same end result as tastypie but in a slightly cleaner and more elegant approach. It also seems to have more activity around it. Jury is still out I guess.

Elvin Rakhmankulov

Jan 5, 2014, 12:53:13 PM1/5/14
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
This is old thread but were there any developments on this? If not I'd like to contribute.

Sachin Shende

Jan 5, 2014, 6:17:41 PM1/5/14
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
I previously mentioned about tastypie, but few more months of experience in API building, and I agree with Steve's comments. Django-rest-framework is clean and elegant. Besides, anything out of the box is difficult to achieve with tastypie and DRF makes life easier in such cases. If at all we have to go for this, I will go with DRF.

Stephen McDonald

Jan 5, 2014, 6:43:24 PM1/5/14
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Adding 2 more cents to my previous 2 cents:

I've since spent a ton of time with DRF and would wholeheartedly recommend it - I could definitely envision a mezzanine-api project that simply takes Mezzanine's models and wraps DRF around them. This would be killer.