Creating asset relationships/dependencies between files in QC 10.0

Parke

Oct 5, 2010, 4:18:22 PM10/5/10
to QTP - HP Quick Test Professional - Automated Software Testing
I am learning to use QC 10.0. I can upload and download files but I
have been unable to locate code for establishing relationships/
dependencies between files. For example, I have code to log into a
program but I am unable to create an asset relationship/dependency
between the login code and the tsr repository file. Thus the script
fails when running on a remote computer that has qpt and appropriate
agents installed. (I can run within qtp and successfully login on my
local computer.)

I am not certain as to at what point it is possible to switch from
absolute paths to relative paths but I would prefer staying with
absolute paths.

Any hints as to where I can find code would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Parke

kiran kumar

Oct 5, 2010, 7:08:05 PM10/5/10
to mercu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

With your problem statement i understand , you are running the same QTP script in remote computer which as QTP etc....

while execution you are getting error. Please let me know if i am wrong.

In QC where did you store your TSR file ,
Did you attach TSR file to your script. If so , it can be run from any remote pc by referring the location in the QC.

Can you send the screenshots of your QC store , where did you attach the files and how do you referring.

Regards,
Kiran Edupuganti

Kiran Edupuganti
M.no: 9866424362

Parke

Oct 6, 2010, 9:50:23 AM10/6/10
to QTP - HP Quick Test Professional - Automated Software Testing
Kiran:

In QC 10.0, it is recommended that tsr files be in an Object
Repositories file and that code be written to create asset
relationships. I assume this means the dependencies will then appear
in the proper dependencies tab after running the code.

The tsr file is in Test Resources. File structure is Resources\Object
Repositories. File name is reg_activity.

The script is in Test Plan. File structure is Subject\parke-reg.
File name is login.

Under Test Lab, the file structure is Root\Parke. Test set is release
1.3.3.0 and the execution flow is release 1.3.3.0 -> [1]login.

The tsr file is not attached, nor referred to. I have not been able
to locate code to demonstrate how establish the dependency
relationship between assets.

Thanks for the help,
> > MercuryQTP+...@googlegroups.com<MercuryQTP%2Bunsubscribe@googlegrou­ps.com>
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/MercuryQTP?hl=en
>
> --
> Kiran Edupuganti
> M.no: 9866424362- Hide quoted text -

U S Achary

Oct 6, 2010, 10:59:18 AM10/6/10
to mercu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Parke,

Just had a look at your issue, seems you are missing up to set the resources to the test, Set the relative path, its a best practice to specify the folders which contains your resource files.

Set those options in QTP, and save the settings, and then schedule the tests from QC.
Let me know if I was misunderstood.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Uma S Achary
Automation Consultant
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/uma-sankar-achary/15/a62/591

Parke

Oct 6, 2010, 2:07:56 PM10/6/10
to QTP - HP Quick Test Professional - Automated Software Testing
Uma:

On my laptop, A, if I do a "save as" to QC, then QC can execute the
test on my laptop but not on any other computer (B) even if the file
structure for location of all the files are identical on both A and
B. For example the tsr files are located in D:\automation\client
\repository\

In QTP 10 - help, "Considerations for Working with Relative Paths in
Quality Center", it appears to be saying there are potential problems
working with relative paths and there are "Advantages of Working with
Asset Dependencies".

QC 10 - help shows "Viewing Dependencies" and nothing I have done to
this point displays a dependency in a dependency tab.

How are the asset dependencies set in QC 10?

I am comfortable working with QTP but this is my first adventure into
QC, as you might guess.

Thanks for helping,

On Oct 6, 10:59 am, U S Achary <usach...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Parke,
>
> Just had a look at your issue, seems you are missing up to set the resources
> to the test, Set the relative path, its a best practice to specify the
> folders which contains your resource files.
>
> Set those options in QTP, and save the settings, and then schedule the tests
> from QC.
> Let me know if I was misunderstood.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Uma S Achary
> Automation Consultanthttp://uk.linkedin.com/pub/uma-sankar-achary/15/a62/591
>

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM, kiran kumar <kiransw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > With your problem statement i understand , you are running the same QTP
> > script in remote computer which as QTP etc....
>
> > while execution you are getting error. Please let me know if i am wrong.
>
> > In QC where did you store your TSR file ,
> > Did you attach TSR file to your script. If so , it can be run from
> > any remote pc by referring the location in the QC.
>
> > Can you send the screenshots of your QC store , where did you attach the
> > files and how do you referring.
>
> > Regards,
> > Kiran Edupuganti
>
> >   On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Parke <parke.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I am learning to use QC 10.0.  I can upload and download files but I
> >> have been unable to locate code for establishing relationships/
> >> dependencies between files.  For example, I have code to log into a
> >> program but I am unable to create an asset relationship/dependency
> >> between the login code and the tsr repository file.  Thus the script
> >> fails when running on a remote computer that has qpt and appropriate
> >> agents installed. (I can run within qtp and successfully login on my
> >> local computer.)
>
> >> I am not certain as to at what point it is possible to switch from
> >> absolute paths to relative paths but I would prefer staying with
> >> absolute paths.
>
> >> Any hints as to where I can find code would be appreciated.
>
> >> Thanks,
>
> >> Parke
>
> >> --
>
> > --
> > Kiran Edupuganti
> > M.no: 9866424362

U S Achary

Oct 7, 2010, 4:39:40 AM10/7/10
to mercu...@googlegroups.com
Parke,

The reason you can not schedule the tests from Computer B, you have to set the options in Computer B.

1.Connect to QC
2.Set all the relative paths

This is one time effort.

I am sure, if you try with all the settings, its should run your tests without any errors.
Thanks.

Best Regards,

Uma S Achary
Automation Consultant
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/uma-sankar-achary/15/a62/591

Parke

Oct 7, 2010, 10:48:25 AM10/7/10
to QTP - HP Quick Test Professional - Automated Software Testing
Uma:

You are absolutely correct. Changing from absolute path to relative
path and doing a save as permits me to run the tests on a different
computer. I can at least work with QC while I try to understand this
new stuff in QC 10 about dependencies.

Thank you very much,

Parke