Temporary fix for WiFi issues with MarcoPolo 2.5.1 on Snow Leopard

radesix

Sep 2, 2009, 12:00:35 PM9/2/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
MarcoPolo Fans

I have a fix for version 2.5.1 that enables the WiFI evidence sources
and WiFi toggling to work on Snow Leopard. If you would like I can
email you the binary .app file which you can simply overwrite in your
applications folder. It will continue to use your existing
configuration files. No installation or changes required.

I am working with David on a more permanent solution of getting the
source code updated in the Git repository correctly. Additionally,
I'd like to make the same changes to the 3.0 version but what I am
getting from the repository doesn't seem to be complete or I am doing
something wrong. Again, i'm working with David to do things the
official way...

but if anyone is interested in my temporary .app replacement just
email me.

radesix

Sep 2, 2009, 11:07:24 PM9/2/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
All MarcoPolo fans...

I seriously underestimated how many people would be interested in this
fix. My mail box loaded with requests for the patched binary. I
believe I have responded to everyone so far with an attached binary;
however, if I missed you I apologize. From now on please download the
patched binary from my Public iDisk folder below. It would also be
nice if you replied to this discussion thread with a message stating
whether you got it and it resolved your issues with WiFi. It's
interesting to know how many people are using the temporary fix.

http://idisk.mac.com/radesix-Public?view=web

I would also like to add... that if you are like me... you didn't
realize how important this application was to you until it broke. I
quickly realized this was the most valuable application on my MacBook
Pro back when I installed the developer preview of SL back in June and
MarcoPolo quit working. Please consider making a donation to the
author David Symonds and sending a thank you message to him.
Furthermore, the fact that he made his code open source is what
allowed me to make and provide this temporary fix for myself and you
guys. What I did was not rocket science and only took me a few
minutes...David really deserves all the credit for this tool. I just
couldn't live without it or wait for Dave to fix it!!!

Below is the email and instructions I was replying to people with.

Attached is the newly compiled version for Snow Leopard which
addresses the WiFi Evidence Source and Toggling issues. As a reminder
this is version 2.5.1, not the 3.0 beta.

You shouldn't need to do anything except:

1) Quit MarcoPolo if it is currently running
2) Unzip the attached file
3) Copy the .app file into your Applications folder
4) Restart MarcoPolo

it will continue to use your existing configuration information.

Best Regards and Enjoy!
Shaun

Mathias M

Sep 3, 2009, 6:37:58 AM9/3/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Just had my first wifi-switch this morning. Just works, possibly even
better than under Leopard, in that i was not faced with a list of
unknown networks for this location before the switch.

Thank you very much for incorporating the fix, much appreciated!
Message has been deleted

Wilfried Teiken

Sep 3, 2009, 6:24:31 PM9/3/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion

For some non-obvious reason I had to edit my WiFi rules to make them
work (click edit, set the "other" instance of the same network ID,
then save). Before that it would not use the rule correctly.
Otherwise it works great, thanks!

-Wilfried

Russell

Sep 3, 2009, 9:59:34 PM9/3/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Shaun - absolutely agree with the comment about indispensability of
Marco Polo. I use the 3 beta version and would love to see that
patched. (I don't want to use the 2.5 cos I can't remember what
functionality I gained with the beta but I'm sure it was important) Is
there any chance of that? By the way - I can't seem to get the 'set
default printer' command to work either. Is that also broken by Snow
Leopard?

Russell

radesix

Sep 4, 2009, 10:23:31 AM9/4/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Russell

I tried beta 3 once because I needed "bluetooth discovery" support.
Then I decided I didn't need a bluetooth rule so I went back to 2.5.
Unfortunately, I don't think 3.0 will be fixed anytime soon. 3.0 is
undergoing a major rewrite by the author and the code available is in
the Git repository is nowhere near complete.

I have not heard of the "set default printer" not working in SL but
Its not a rule and action that I use so let me check into it. When I
find something definite i'll make a post on the discussion forums.
I'll provide a fix if possible.

Best Regards
Shaun

marianna

Sep 4, 2009, 4:59:55 PM9/4/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Thanks!!!
Just installed, seems to work fine :)

-mary

Weston Triemstra

Sep 4, 2009, 8:18:59 PM9/4/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Me too.

Weston

Oculus

Sep 4, 2009, 9:19:21 PM9/4/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Installed and working, thanks!

Oculus

Sep 4, 2009, 9:20:06 PM9/4/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Russell,

I checked the default printer settings on my MBP... no default was set
initially, but when I did set a default printer, MarcoPolo changed it
correctly for me.

Russell

Sep 5, 2009, 12:23:28 AM9/5/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Yes, I just checked that and it happened for me the same as for you.
I'm having trouble resetting all my printers in SL so I'll try with
the other ones when I get back to work.

Thanks for the tip.

radesix

Sep 6, 2009, 2:41:03 PM9/6/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
For those of you with printer problems... they may not be related to
MarcoPolo. See the article below:

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/scitech/2352

Best Regards
shaun

George Musser

Sep 6, 2009, 9:51:42 AM9/6/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
I'm using the 3 beta and would like to downgrade to the SL-ready 2.5
version. Can I simply overwrite the app and use my existing prefs, or
do I need to set up the prefs from scratch again?
George

David Symonds

Sep 6, 2009, 6:09:16 PM9/6/09
On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM, George Musser<geor...@musser.com> wrote:

> I'm using the 3 beta and would like to downgrade to the SL-ready 2.5
> version.  Can I simply overwrite the app and use my existing prefs, or
> do I need to set up the prefs from scratch again?

You'll need to set up your prefs again; they are stored in different
places in a different format.

Dave.

Russell

Sep 7, 2009, 5:34:24 AM9/7/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi - another issue - I have downgraded to 2.5.1 and had to recreate
prefs but now my network locations won't switch! Anyone else had this?

Russell

David Symonds

Sep 7, 2009, 8:25:19 AM9/7/09
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Russell<rpowe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - another issue - I have downgraded to 2.5.1 and had to recreate
> prefs but now my network locations won't switch! Anyone else had this?

Do you have any NetworkLocation actions?

Dave.

Russell

Sep 7, 2009, 9:16:12 PM9/7/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi David - sorry I wasn't clear.

The main use for MP on my MBP is auto switching network locations
based on evidences. I have been using 3 beta on 10.5 happily.

Because of the wifi issue I went to 2.5.1

Printer changing didn't work, but now does. You have to set a default
first. My setting was on last used and MP wouldn't switch on that. So
happy now.

Now I am having trouble auto switching network locations. If I force
switch to a MP location with an accompanying networklocation action it
does other actions but says 'failed to switch network location'.
Having said that, it did switch ok from startup this morning.

It may be only under certain circumstances that it won't switch....

Russell

Heath Borders

Sep 7, 2009, 11:38:37 PM9/7/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
I tried this version. The wifi rules worked, but it wouldn't mount my
SMB drive anymore. It also didn't look right. It looked like labels
were missing from the preferences window.
-Heath Borders
hbor...@mail.win.org

radesix

Sep 8, 2009, 4:51:42 PM9/8/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Heath

The code that I changed only affected the WiFi Evidence Source and
Toggle functionality. Using the same version I am having no trouble
mounting my SMB drives.

Did you downgrade from 3.0 beta or were you on 2.5.1 already? If you
downgrading you'll need to reconfigure everything because the config
is stored in different locations from 2.5 to 3.0.

Best Regards
Shaun

On Sep 7, 10:38 pm, Heath Borders <hbord...@mail.win.org> wrote:
> I tried this version.  The wifi rules worked, but it wouldn't mount my
> SMB drive anymore.  It also didn't look right.  It looked like labels
> were missing from the preferences window.
> -Heath Borders
> hbord...@mail.win.org

Charles Marshall

Sep 8, 2009, 10:44:37 AM9/8/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Worked for me, however for some reason it didn't detect the SSID of my
hidden wireless network until I deleted the rules and readded them.
Now it looks to work...

On Sep 7, 10:38 pm, Heath Borders <hbord...@mail.win.org> wrote:
> I tried this version.  The wifi rules worked, but it wouldn't mount my
> SMB drive anymore.  It also didn't look right.  It looked like labels
> were missing from the preferences window.
> -Heath Borders
> hbord...@mail.win.org

Heath Borders

Sep 8, 2009, 8:21:52 PM9/8/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
I installed it on a clean install on snow leopard. None of the icons
showed up on the buttons, and some label text was missing.

Sent from my iPod

David Symonds

Sep 9, 2009, 4:12:30 AM9/9/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Screenshot?

Ken

Sep 9, 2009, 3:52:41 AM9/9/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi - appears to work for me!

cpressey

Sep 9, 2009, 8:51:19 AM9/9/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
2.5.1 works perfectly for me - I upgraded on top of 2.5.0 on an
upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.6

radesix

Sep 9, 2009, 7:11:30 PM9/9/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Heath

If you had a clean install of Snow Leopard i'm not sure you can just
copy over my patched binary to the applications folder. I would
install the official release of 2.5.1 and then overwrite the .app
binary with the patched binary provided from the link in this
thread.

On Sep 8, 7:21 pm, Heath Borders <heath.bord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed it on a clean install on snow leopard. None of the icons
> showed up on the buttons, and some label text was missing.
>
> Sent from my iPod

Heath Borders

Sep 9, 2009, 9:46:20 PM9/9/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
I just ran the patched binary, I didn't run it over an existing
install. Everything works great for me now! Thanks for the great
work!
-Heath Borders
hbor...@mail.win.org

Michael

Sep 14, 2009, 9:45:47 PM9/14/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
This fix resolved my problem with switching contexts based on WiFi
evidence under Snow Leopard. Thanks Shaun (and David).

NT

Sep 17, 2009, 10:38:42 AM9/17/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
It works!!!!

I just discovered MarcoPolo a week ago, and then installed Snow
Leopard. The fact that I was so distressed by MarcoPolo not working
after using it for such a short time is true testament to this
software.

Thanks to David for writing MP, and thanks to Shaun for the patch!!!

Ancandune

Sep 27, 2009, 10:14:38 PM9/27/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
The SSID selection is working for me with your patch. Many thanks!

Marcelo Rosa

Sep 27, 2009, 11:06:33 PM9/27/09
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Does the 3.0 Beta work with SSID in SL? I'm not getting any chance here...:)

Marcelo Rosa
www.pistachecomcasca.com
21-8103-4296

radesix

Sep 28, 2009, 9:09:30 AM9/28/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Marcelo

The 3.0 beta does not yet work with WiFi. 3.0 is undergoing a major
rewrite and only the 2.5.1 version has been patched to work with WiFi
at this time.

Best Regards
Shaun

On Sep 27, 10:06 pm, Marcelo Rosa <marr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the 3.0 Beta work with SSID in SL? I'm not getting any chance here...:)
> Marcelo Rosawww.pistachecomcasca.com
> 21-8103-4296

Kornhornio

Oct 1, 2009, 12:49:41 PM10/1/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Your patched 2.5.1 is working great for me! I installed it over the
official 2.5 release on a clean non-upgrade installation of Snow
Leopard.

Glen

Oct 3, 2009, 1:53:28 AM10/3/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
I have been a big fan of Marco Polo for 2 years plus....great
product...until my Snow Leopard issues....

So here is my problem - perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I am using a MBP and a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

I install Marco Polo (patched version) and it works...BUT I noticed my
browser is a lot slower. To test this I go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Run the test with Marco Polo running. Notice how the download runs
and stops..runs and stops.
Now run the test without Marco Polo running and the download
absolutely flies. It's almost as if it feels like Marco Polo is
trying to re-pole/reset the network location or something?

Please can someone help me to figure it out? I am totally willing to
run any captures you need and send them to you if it helps.

Thanks

David Symonds

Oct 3, 2009, 5:31:37 AM10/3/09
On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Glen <glen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using a MBP and a fresh install of Snow Leopard.
>
> I install Marco Polo (patched version) and it works...BUT I noticed my
> browser is a lot slower.  To test this I go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Are you using the WiFi evidence source? Have you changed any of the
Advanced preferences?

Dave.

Glen

Oct 3, 2009, 9:19:52 AM10/3/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi Dave,

Yes I only use the WIFI evidence sources and no I have made no changes
to the Advanced preferences.

Thanks

On Oct 3, 4:31 am, David Symonds <dsymo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Glen <glenma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using a MBP and a fresh install of Snow Leopard.
>
> > I install Marco Polo (patched version) and it works...BUT I noticed my
> > browser is a lot slower.  To test this I go tohttp://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Glen

Oct 7, 2009, 8:37:29 PM10/7/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Am I the only one or have others been able to prove this out?

I rebuilt my MacBook Pro from scratch again...and have tried it from
multiple different wifi sites and the issue is always there for me.

On Oct 3, 12:53 am, Glen <glenma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been a big fan of Marco Polo for 2 years plus....great
> product...until my Snow Leopard issues....
>
> So here is my problem - perhaps I am doing something wrong.
>
> I am using a MBP and a fresh install of Snow Leopard.
>
> I install Marco Polo (patched version) and it works...BUT I noticed my
> browser is a lot slower.  To test this I go tohttp://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Tobias

Oct 8, 2009, 4:40:48 PM10/8/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
You are not alone...
I have the same problem!
And believe me.... it took a looong time to get behind it!

mst...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2009, 4:55:05 PM10/21/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
I checked out the latest git repository (for v2.5) but it doesn't
contain this fix.
And chance of pushing this fix into git (or just making the patch
available here?)

Thanks,
Steve

alain00

Oct 23, 2009, 1:45:08 PM10/23/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi!
I am just trying MarcoPolo with snow leopard and I appreciate if you
sent me your patch for WIFI
Many thanks
Alain00

David Symonds

Oct 26, 2009, 8:12:54 AM10/26/09
On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 4:45 AM, alain00 <ame...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am just trying MarcoPolo with snow leopard and I appreciate if you
> sent me your patch for WIFI

Check the start of this thread for a download link.

Dave.

Andrew Berry

Nov 3, 2009, 10:14:19 AM11/3/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Just thought I'd note that installing this on 10.6.1 has worked
incredibly well; yes, even better then on 10.5. Thanks!

xvi

Dec 30, 2009, 8:32:20 AM12/30/09
to MarcoPolo Discussion
The download URL given at the start of the thread didn't work for me.
The link now looks like: http://public.me.com/radesix/
YMMV.

ClenchedTeeth

Jan 17, 2010, 9:20:38 PM1/17/10
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Works perfectly for me. Thanks! I donated to the MarcoPolo author too,
I like it that much.

Screaming Pict

Jan 19, 2010, 6:27:38 AM1/19/10
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Working for me too. Thanks!

virtualien

Mar 15, 2011, 9:07:02 AM3/15/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Switching to another location does not force Snow Leopard to switch to the AirPort connection corresponding to the chosen location. Up to now I need to deactivate and reactivate AirPort to get the desired WiFi connection. Thanks to MarcoPolo 2.5.1 you can automate deactivation and reactivation of AirPort with three actions for each context:
1. toogleWifi to deactivate Airport
2. NetworkLocation to switch to the location (2 seconds delay)
3. toogleWifi to activate Airport (10 seconds delay)

It works, but this deactivation/reactivation thingy seems to be awkward. Is there another method to force SnowLeopard to automatically switch the WiFi connection to the value specified for the chosen location?

thanks in advance.

Many thanks to the contributors of MarcoPolo, I'm lovin' it.

Fe

Apr 5, 2011, 3:17:39 AM4/5/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Thanks a lot Radesix! Works fine for me :-)

ht tay

Aug 6, 2013, 6:54:15 PM8/6/13
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
hi,

just wondering if your fix is still available? thanks!

Byron Weber Becker

Aug 6, 2013, 10:46:06 PM8/6/13
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Someone else took over the MarcoPolo project and renamed it ControlPlane.  See

Byron