Re: [mapnik] Issue with long names

Hermann Kraus

Apr 2, 2012, 4:26:04 AM4/2/12
to David MENTRE, map...@googlegroups.com
> In fact, the best automatic strategy for us might be:
> * Try line placement,
> * If it fails, try point placement without overlap,
> * If it fails do point placement with overlap.

Hi David!

With mapnik from current git you can provide alternatives for most text
placement parameters. However changing between line and point placement is
not possible atm. However it should be possible to add this (I'll do it
when I have some free time...)

You can already do
<TextSymbolizer placement="line" placement-type="list"
allow-overlap="false">
[name]
<Placement allow-overlap="true"/>
</TextSymbolizer>

to get line placement first without then with overlap.

After line/point switching is added you should be able to do

<TextSymbolizer placement="line" placement-type="list"
allow-overlap="false">
[name]
<Placement placement="point"/>
<Placement allow-overlap="true"/>
</TextSymbolizer>

Regards,

Hermann

David MENTRE

Apr 2, 2012, 5:05:33 AM4/2/12
to Hermann Kraus, map...@googlegroups.com, d...@maposmatic.org
Hello Hermann,

2012/4/2 Hermann Kraus <herm...@googlemail.com>:

> With mapnik from current git you can provide alternatives for most text
> placement parameters. However changing between line and point placement is
> not possible atm. However it should be possible to add this (I'll do it when
> I have some free time...)

Yes, it would be great! Let me know when you'll have implemented it
and I'll test it (I already have a mapnik-git version working on my
machine).

Best regards,
d.

Nathaniel V. Kelso

Apr 2, 2012, 3:19:43 PM4/2/12
to map...@googlegroups.com
+1 for this request: Both the fallback position (Hermann) and having mapnik output which features were actually labeled (Dane).

_Nathaniel

Hermann Kraus

Apr 2, 2012, 5:29:53 PM4/2/12
to map...@googlegroups.com, Nathaniel V. Kelso
On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:19:43 +0200, Nathaniel V. Kelso <nvk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1 for this request: Both the fallback position (Hermann) and having
> mapnik
> output which features were actually labeled (Dane).

Output which features were labeled is already possible via meta writers.

Hermann

David MENTRE

Apr 25, 2012, 2:34:17 AM4/25/12
to Hermann Kraus, map...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hermann,

2012/4/2 Hermann Kraus <herm...@googlemail.com>:

>> In fact, the best automatic strategy for us might be:
>>  * Try line placement,
>>  * If it fails, try point placement without overlap,
>>  * If it fails do point placement with overlap.

[...]

> With mapnik from current git you can provide alternatives for most text
> placement parameters. However changing between line and point placement is
> not possible atm. However it should be possible to add this (I'll do it when
> I have some free time...)

Have you had enough free time? :-)

More seriously, this issue is a serious one for us. We have this bug
since 2009. Any progress that could be made, however imperfect it
would be, would be better that current Mapnik that does not display
some street names.

If you can point me to the relevant part of the code, I can try to
propose a patch.

Best regards,
david