Granule steptruder?

Antonio Santos - Brazil

Jun 25, 2010, 9:33:16 AM6/25/10
to MakerBot Operators
Hi guys,

I've being looking around, and seems like plastic in granules are way
cheap and easier to find.... I found some articles about it, anyone
here ever tried to create one?

This should be a great way of recycling the Makerbot wasted plastic
also....

http://reprapdelft.wordpress.com/

http://reprapdelft.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/reprap-granule-extruder-tudelft1.pdf

http://reprap.org/wiki/GranuleExtruder

Cheers,

Antonio Santos

Ryan/baslisks

Jun 25, 2010, 10:59:02 AM6/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
many many people have. A good search of the archive of this group will
turn up a nice little repository of information.

Zach Smith

Jun 25, 2010, 12:19:34 PM6/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
yeah, the granule extruder is pretty much the 'holy grail' of
plastruders. if you make any progress on this, please share. :)

> --

Zach Smith
MakerBot Industries

Roger Walsberg

Jun 25, 2010, 12:53:29 PM6/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Great idea! The hard part of course would be to feed the little beads
one after the other down a little tube. Another would be the lack of
reversal since the little bead is not connected the the molten
extrusion. I don't know if a screw type feeder would be positive
enough. I doubt it. It would have to screw out then plunge. Not really
a continuous process.

Sent from phone

Michael Palacios

Jun 25, 2010, 1:02:29 PM6/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
One of the interesting things about the screw design is that it mimics the way that some industrial folk create filament from beads. One of the issues that I had came across while researching this topic seemed to be that the motor would not be strong enough to shove the plastic out at a smooth and consistent pace. Also the barrel used on those machines, not only are a lot longer, they are also evenly heated and the inner area is shaped more like a cone then a cylinder, getting to its narrowest at the point of extrusion.

Zach Smith

Jun 25, 2010, 2:59:27 PM6/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
One of the biggest problems with a system like that is the size of the
system... you need to have proper melt zones yet also need to keep the
extruder head compact enough to be moved around. Most of the
'professional' grade ones are huge machines.

If I were to attempt to create a granule based extruder, I would try
and power it with air pressure, similar to how the frostruder works.
since you are controlling the pressure, temperature, plastic, and
aperature, you should be able to accurately predict the flowrate, or
at least get it to a repeatable state. As an added bonus, you'd get
nice start/stop control for free.

Zach

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Roger Walsberg

Revar Desmera

Jun 25, 2010, 3:08:15 PM6/25/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't seem like it should be hard to make such a mechanism.  However, it seems to me that it'd be a bit large and heavy for an extruder head.  But then, does it really need to be?  Why not make a separate granule-to-filament extruder device that can then feed the output of to the makerbot?

        - Revar

Antonio Santos - Brazil

Jun 26, 2010, 8:57:17 PM6/26/10
to MakerBot Operators
Hi there!

Wim Vandeputte sent me this other link:

http://capolight.wordpress.com/2010/06/26/granular-hdpe-extruder-progress/

and I also looked on this PDF file below, and there is an sketch for a
granule extruder that looks pretty feasible... we need someone we
really good cad skills to try to make it real...

On 25 jun, 16:08, Revar Desmera <revar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't seem like it should be hard to make such a mechanism.  However, it seems to me that it'd be a bit large and heavy for an extruder head.  But then, does it really need to be?  Why not make a separate granule-to-filament extruder device that can then feed the output of to the makerbot?
>
>         - Revar
>
> On Jun 25, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Michael Palacios <halo2maste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One of the interesting things about the screw design is that it mimics the way that some industrial folk create filament from beads. One of the issues that I had came across while researching this topic seemed to be that the motor would not be strong enough to shove the plastic out at a smooth and consistent pace. Also the barrel used on those machines, not only are a lot longer, they are also evenly heated and the inner area is shaped more like a cone then a cylinder, getting to its narrowest at the point of extrusion.
>
> > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Roger Walsberg <rogerwalsb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Great idea! The hard part of course would be to feed the little beads one after the other down a little tube. Another would be the lack of reversal since the little bead is not connected the the molten extrusion. I don't know if a screw type feeder would be positive enough. I doubt it. It would have to screw out then plunge. Not really a continuous process.
>
> > Sent from phone
>
> > On Jun 25, 2010, at 9:59 AM, "Ryan/baslisks" <basli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > many many people have. A good search of the archive of this group will
> > turn up a nice little repository of information.
>
> > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Antonio Santos - Brazil
> > <moraes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
>
> > I've being looking around, and seems like plastic in granules are way
> > cheap and easier to find.... I found some articles about it, anyone
> > here ever tried to create one?
>
> > This should be a great way of recycling the Makerbot wasted plastic
> > also....
>
> >http://reprapdelft.wordpress.com/
>
> >http://reprapdelft.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/reprap-granule-extrude...
>
> >http://reprap.org/wiki/GranuleExtruder
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > Antonio Santos

Thomas Charron

Jun 26, 2010, 9:36:25 PM6/26/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Zach Smith <za...@makerbot.com> wrote:
> One of the biggest problems with a system like that is the size of the
> system... you need to have proper melt zones yet also need to keep the
> extruder head compact enough to be moved around.  Most of the
> 'professional' grade ones are huge machines.

They also place the plastic under VERY high pressure, to push them
thru a filter. One of the VERY important aspects of using granular
plastic is to filter the molten plastic.

--
-- Thomas