123dapp from Autodesk went live

Luis E. Rodriguez

May 18, 2011, 11:23:00 PM5/18/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Windows only at this point: http://www.123dapp.com/

Luis E. Rodriguez

The Ruttmeister

May 19, 2011, 12:44:06 AM5/19/11
to MakerBot Operators
interesting, I'm not a lawyer but a quick skim of the T&C's leads me
to believe that anything created using that software is automatically
the property of Autodesk.

Anyone else?

Marcus Wolschon

May 19, 2011, 3:26:37 AM5/19/11
to MakerBot Operators

The T&C:
http://sitesupport.123dapp.com/entries/20059427-end-user-license-agreement

I cannot find such a term in it.
Even if, then then would be "surprising".
In my jurisdiction such a surprising clause would not be effective.
I don't know about the legislation in San Rafael, CA of cause.

Marcus

B Stott

May 19, 2011, 3:39:27 PM5/19/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Anyone notice the application is --- 402 MB --- ?

Marcus Wolschon

May 19, 2011, 5:04:28 PM5/19/11
to make...@googlegroups.com

Yes, it's rather small.
I noticed that.

Luis E. Rodriguez

May 19, 2011, 5:25:28 PM5/19/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've done some playing around, pretty damn cool. Solid tools are great (pic attached) Also found this useful from the Facebook page: http://www.123dnews.com/123dnews/designing-in-autodesk-123d-basics.html and http://123dapp.com/support If work wasn't so damn busy I might be able to actually watch them!

I did get an email about it rolling out today and the word free had a * that said * Subject to terms etc... but I didn't explore. So yeah not sure what that means but it must be important enough to put an asterisk on it and point it out.

I'm not an Inventor or Solidworks user but from what I can tell it seems like a lot of nice features.

Luis E. Rodriguez

123dapp.jpg

RyanP

May 19, 2011, 11:33:11 PM5/19/11
to MakerBot Operators
My old laptop doesn't have nearly enough umpph to get this to run :(

On May 19, 5:25 pm, "Luis E. Rodriguez" <lrodriguezm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've done some playing around, pretty damn cool. Solid tools are great (pic
> attached) Also found this useful from the Facebook page:http://www.123dnews.com/123dnews/designing-in-autodesk-123d-basics.htmlandhttp://123dapp.com/supportIf work wasn't so damn busy I might be able
> to actually watch them!
>
> <http://123dapp.com/support>I did get an email about it rolling out today
> and the word free had a * that said * Subject to terms etc... but I didn't
> explore. So yeah not sure what that means but it must be important enough to
> put an asterisk on it and point it out.
>
> I'm not an Inventor or Solidworks user but from what I can tell it seems
> like a lot of nice features.
>
> Luis E. Rodriguez
>
> Are you a Maker? <http://www.makerfairekc.com/>
>

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:39 PM, B Stott <sto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone notice the application is --- 402 MB --- ?
>
> > On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Marcus Wolschon <
> > marcus.wolsc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> The T&C:
> >>http://sitesupport.123dapp.com/entries/20059427-end-user-license-agre...
>  123dapp.jpg
> 133KViewDownload

The Ruttmeister

May 20, 2011, 2:16:12 AM5/20/11
to MakerBot Operators
Apologies, miss-read 'use of content' section.

On May 19, 12:26 am, Marcus Wolschon <marcus.wolsc...@googlemail.com>

Brian Stott

May 20, 2011, 8:39:17 AM5/20/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
I concur that 123d T & C seems non-threatening.

Autodesk has been engineering high level for many decades as very legit. They are credible and not likely to screw up a NEW Market, revolution, evolution for themselves.

I too, did a quick scan last night and I saw the common - we software people have the rights to sell to you and change our product and are not liable for inconveniences - yada, yada, blah.....

B Stott

May 20, 2011, 10:29:04 AM5/20/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Full Size 3D printed Motorcycle by Autodesk ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNeXfBapcRo&feature=related

Marcus Wolschon

May 22, 2011, 2:30:50 AM5/22/11
to MakerBot Operators
First impression:

* terms and conditions exist in 4 dozen languages but German is
missing
* program is a Beta
* program only exists in US-english
* all the points in "Learn About 123D" do not work on a 64bit Windows
(they try to open an swf as a file and the Adobe web-site says that
the flash player 10.x is no available in 64 bit.)
* lines in sketches are hidden in "draw"
* sketches can be on flat surfaces but not on non-flat ones
* If the model is in metric units, you cannot specify inches for
features (e.g. a 1/4 hole to attach a camera in a metric part)
* the only constraint I have found is "pin down" = lock feature
* I cannot find the operations I did in the model-hierarchy or any
kind of construction-timeline
* I also cannot find a way to temporarily supress and operation, only
parts
* I can enter basic formulas but not variable-names

It seems to be some kind of "Sketchup meets ProE".
Give extremely visual oriented people very basic parametric tools
without allowing much in terms of later modification of the created
object.
Useful for simple modifications to solid models in the usual CAD-
formats and simple 1-off parts.
Not so much for complex parts that you test-print and then modify
earlier steps in the construction history or change any parameters at
all.

Marcus

Mike Payson

May 22, 2011, 2:57:34 AM5/22/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Is it just me, or is there no easy way to simply redefine the length of a side (for example). That is you can CHANGE the length, extend or shorten it by a specific length (ie "make this 12mm longer"), but you cannot simply say "make this line 40mm long" like you can on every other CAD program I have ever used. This seems like a major oversight, so I still think I am just missing something, but I spent quite a while trying to figure it out with no luck.

Marcus Wolschon

May 22, 2011, 3:14:18 AM5/22/11
to make...@googlegroups.com

It's not just you.
That's exactly what I mean by "change any parameters at
all".
It seems to have a parametric core but not allow access to the parameters or variables.