Re: Using SNMP Version 3 commands "snmpgetnext"

Wes Hardaker

Dec 27, 2007, 4:53:03 PM12/27/07

CJ> Hi,
CJ> I am using

CJ> NET-SNMP version: 5.3.2
CJ> Web: http://www.net-snmp.org/
CJ> Email: net-snm...@lists.sourceforge.net
CJ> I am trying to use to SNMP version 3 "snmpgetnext" command as shown below

bash> snmpgetnext -v 3 -n "" -u noAuthUser -l noAuthNoPriv
192.168.0.193sysUpTime>

CJ> I get an error shown below

bash> snmpgetnext: Unknown user name (Sub-id not found: (top) -> sysUpTime)
CJ> please tell me why these error occurred. since i am able to query the
CJ> agent of snmp v1,v2c and get a response.

Try reading this to help you get started:

http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ:Agent_25

You need to create a user and authorize it:

http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/Vacm
--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

Ajit J Clarence

Dec 31, 2007, 5:09:49 AM12/31/07
Hi Wes,

Wes>> Try reading this to help you get started:

Wes>> http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ:Agent_25

Wes>> You need to create a user and authorize it:

Wes>> http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/Vacm

Wes Hardaker,

Thank you for the information.

I have tried with the link provided by you. But I get the following error
shown below when I run the agent:

>> snmpd -L

Turning on AgentX master support.
netsnmp_assert !"registration != duplicate" failed agent_registry.c:536
netsnmp_subtree_load()
Error: passphrase chosen is below the length requirements of the USM
(min=8).
/Underdevelopment/snmp/net-snmp//share/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 520: Error:
could not generate the authentication key from the supplied pass phrase.
net-snmp: 1 error(s) in config file(s)
NET-SNMP version 5.3.2

Can you advice what is the problem know

>> ajit

Dave Shield

Dec 31, 2007, 6:14:42 AM12/31/07
On 31/12/2007, Ajit J Clarence <ajit.c...@ingenient.com> wrote:
> I get the following error shown below when I run the agent:

> Error: passphrase chosen is below the length requirements
> of the USM (min=8).

> Can you advice what is the problem know

The password you are trying to use is too short.
It needs to be at least 8 characters long.

Dave

Ajit J Clarence

Dec 31, 2007, 6:35:11 AM12/31/07
Hey thanks dave,