Pronunciations

Brandon Fosdick

Nov 30, 2000, 7:35:36 PM11/30/00
Brian Beattie wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Chris Hill wrote:
>

> > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
> >

> twiddle

A twiddle is the little spinning ascii icon {/-\|/-...}, like the one that the
boot loader uses. At least I think its the boot loader, haven't had to reboot in
a while. :)

Robert Shea

Nov 30, 2000, 7:37:14 PM11/30/00

%On 30-Nov-00 Roop Nanuwa wrote:
~snip~
%
%I used to say the letters: f-s-c-k, but now I usually say "fisk".
%(rhymes with
%disk)
%
I learned from mostly very bitter sys admins, that always called fsck "f
suck" and in fact, outside of this thread, I have never heard it called
anything else. Considering how long it can take on larger drives... I'd have
to agree that at times it is very appropriate.

~snip~

Robert

Chris Hill

Nov 30, 2000, 7:41:44 PM11/30/00
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> Brian Beattie wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Chris Hill wrote:
> >
> > > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
> >
> > twiddle
>
> A twiddle is the little spinning ascii icon {/-\|/-...}, like the one
> that the boot loader uses. At least I think its the boot loader,
> haven't had to reboot in a while. :)

I have. About three weeks ago (actually 23 days, 20:23) I was reading
something online (perhaps this very list), crossed my legs, and
accidentally hit the power switch with my toe. Retard. Yes, I've moved
the CPU to a new spot.

--
Chris Hill ch...@monochrome.org
[1] Bus error netscape

Alfred Perlstein

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
* Brian Beattie <bea...@aracnet.com> [001130 15:41] wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Chris Hill wrote:
>

> > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
> >

> twiddle

"ok, now hit tilde" (til-deh)
"what?"
"the curly line thing"
"the what?"
"y'know the accent thing above the back-tick..?"
"back.. tick?"
"argh!" *WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM* (slamming phone on desk)
"hello? hello? what was that?"
"*nothing*, y'know the spanish accent thingy on the upper left hand side
of the keyboard?"
"uh...?"
*WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM* (this time it's my head hitting the desk)
"oh! i found it! nice homepage..."
"yeah, great... bye!" *CLICK*

Moral of the story:
Depending on technical ability you may have adapt your pronunciation.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bri...@wintelcom.net|alf...@freebsd.org]

Chameleon

Dec 1, 2000, 11:54:10 AM12/1/00
At 03:32 PM 11/30/00, John Baldwin wrote:

>On 30-Nov-00 Chris Hill wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> >
> >> /etc "etcetera" (some reprobates say E T C)
> >
> > Some even worse reprobates (myself included) say ET-see.
>
>I prefer ET-see as well.
>
> >> Or "#"
> >>
> >> The English say "hash", some australians say "crunch"
> >> Americans says (bizarrely) "pound" .. yes yes I know why :)
> >
> > And there are always the pedants who say "octothorpe."

> > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
>

>I say TIL-day, but I'm just a youngin'

:)
i'm just a youngin too,
but i've always said TIL-dee

Swen

>--
>
>John Baldwin <j...@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
>PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc
>"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!" - http://www.FreeBSD.org/

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
-- Anon

Jeremiah Gowdy

Dec 1, 2000, 11:56:59 AM12/1/00
> > /etc pronounced like the letters e-t-c

e-t-c ? Most people I know here in the San Diego area say "etz" (sounds
like Mets). e-t-c is far too much to say :)

jo...@goodleaf.net

Dec 1, 2000, 4:58:28 PM12/1/00

I've checked three dictionaries and all report the pronunciation as
til duh (where the duh is a schwa).

I like /etc rhymes with "mets." But then I also, on purely aesthetic
grounds, prefer "leye' nucks" to "lin' ucks" which sounds to me like a
poorly implemented scripting language at best--not manly at all.

;-)

-John

Chameleon writes:

> At 03:32 PM 11/30/00, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > Some even worse reprobates (myself included) say ET-see.
> >
> >I prefer ET-see as well.

> > > And there are always the pedants who say "octothorpe."
> > >
> > > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
> >
> >I say TIL-day, but I'm just a youngin'
>
> :)
> i'm just a youngin too,
> but i've always said TIL-dee
>
> Swen
>
> >--
> >
> >John Baldwin <j...@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> >PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc
> >"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!" - http://www.FreeBSD.org/

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
>

> --
> "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
> -- Anon

Brian Beattie

Dec 1, 2000, 6:51:07 PM12/1/00
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> Brian Beattie wrote:

> > On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Chris Hill wrote:
> >

> > > What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
> > > but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."
> > >

> > twiddle
>
> A twiddle is the little spinning ascii icon {/-\|/-...}, like the one that the
> boot loader uses. At least I think its the boot loader, haven't had to reboot in
> a while. :)

No you are wrong

Brian Beattie | This email was produced using professional quality,
bea...@aracnet.com | standards based software. Users of Microsoft
bea...@aracnet.com | products or other substandard software should
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | contact the author about receiving a Free upgrade to
| FreeBSD or Linux. "FreeBSD: The power to serve"

Andy Farkas

Dec 1, 2000, 8:59:44 PM12/1/00

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Brian Beattie wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> > Brian Beattie wrote:

> > > twiddle
> >
> > A twiddle is the little spinning ascii icon {/-\|/-...}, like the one that the
> > boot loader uses. At least I think its the boot loader, haven't had to reboot in
> > a while. :)
> >
> No you are wrong

The spinning thingy is called a "propeller".

> Brian Beattie | This email was produced using professional quality,
> bea...@aracnet.com | standards based software. Users of Microsoft
> bea...@aracnet.com | products or other substandard software should
> www.aracnet.com/~beattie | contact the author about receiving a Free upgrade to
> | FreeBSD or Linux. "FreeBSD: The power to serve"

--

:{ an...@speednet.com.au

Andy Farkas
System Administrator
Speednet Communications
http://www.speednet.com.au/

Eric Rivas

Dec 1, 2000, 9:24:00 PM12/1/00
Andy Farkas wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Brian Beattie wrote:

> > > A twiddle is the little spinning ascii icon {/-\|/-...}, like the one that the
> > > boot loader uses. At least I think its the boot loader, haven't had to reboot in
> > > a while. :)
> > >
> > No you are wrong
>
> The spinning thingy is called a "propeller".

No, it's a twirling baton.

> > Brian Beattie | This email was produced using professional quality,
> > bea...@aracnet.com | standards based software. Users of Microsoft
> > bea...@aracnet.com | products or other substandard software should
> > www.aracnet.com/~beattie | contact the author about receiving a Free upgrade to
> > | FreeBSD or Linux. "FreeBSD: The power to serve"
> >

> --
>
> :{ an...@speednet.com.au
>
> Andy Farkas
> System Administrator
> Speednet Communications
> http://www.speednet.com.au/

Eric J. Rivas <riv...@sprintmail.com>
WWW: http://home.sprintmail.com/~rivas45/
ICQ: 61930546 <http://wwp.icq.com/61930546>

"The right to revolt has sources deep in our history."
-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Mark Ovens

Dec 1, 2000, 10:58:17 PM12/1/00
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 02:19:22PM -0500, Passki, Jonathan P wrote:
> Yes, us lazy Americans hate that 'ou' thing the Brits try to always
> interject, like 'colour' and 'valour.'

I think that originates from the French where such words end ~eur. Of
course it was Noah Webster who dropped the 'u'.

> Also, why can't the Brits us an
> occasional 'z' in their words; initialize, serialize, and other words like
> them just look cool w/ the 'z' in them, not that 's' substitution the Brits
> use.

Curiously, this is the one group of words that Americans spell correctly
and we get wrong. If you look in older editions of the OED you will find
such words spelled exclusively ~ize. Only in more recent editions (<10
years) will ~ise appear and then only as an *alternative* spelling. I have
great fun at work when writing docs where I always use ~ize and,
invariably, the reviewer pulls me up on it so I pull out a dictionary (and
slap him 'round the back of the head with it)....

> Here's another good one, though: /etc

FWIW, slash ee tee cee

> Some people pronounce it like its root word, etcetera, which is
> grammatically correct, since etcetera is abbreviated like "etc." Others say
> it like "et-sEE." What's the better one?

4.4 - The number of the Beastie
51.44°N FreeBSD - The Power To Serve http://www.freebsd.org
2.057°W My Webpage http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~mark
mailto:ma...@freebsd.org http://www.radan.com

Erik Rothwell

Dec 2, 2000, 12:25:41 AM12/2/00

What a lot of Americans seem to miss is that American English is a minority language compared to the vast wealth of nations and peoples who speak proper Standard English (what Americans like to call British English.)

Colour, valour, labour are the Standard spellings... similarly, Standard English drops its final -rs and such. When you learn to speak English anywhere but America or Canada, you learn with Standard English pronunciation. Crazily enough, Standard English has many more vowels than American English... I believe it's 26 or 28 to just 12.

Furthermore, the -ise / -ize difference comes from word origin: if the word origin is Latin you use -ise, if it is Greek you use -ize.

Food for thought ;-)
-------
E. L. Rothwell
Technical Support Representative
GTN Communications Corp.
-------

Jim C. Nasby

Dec 2, 2000, 11:35:27 PM12/2/00
Peter Lai wrote:
> more questions: how the heck do you pronounce "/src"?

'source' :)
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!) /^\
j...@nasby.net /___\