[HEADS UP] Ruby 1.9 will become the default Ruby version this weekend

Steve Wills

Aug 19, 2011, 8:25:45 PM8/19/11

Johan Hendriks

Aug 22, 2011, 6:47:28 AM8/22/11
>Hi,

>Barring objections, I'm planning to commit this patch:

>http://people.freebsd.org/~swills/ruby19_and_gems_changes6.diff

>tomorrow. It will update Ruby 1.9 and make it the default version. If
>you wish to continue using Ruby 1.8, set

>RUBY_VER= 1.8

>in /etc/make.conf.

>There are still some ports which do not work with Ruby 1.9, but most
>work OK. If you have any objections or questions, please let me know.

>Thanks,
>Steve
>Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (FreeBSD)

First thanks for all your work on this.

An entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING mentioning the RUBY_VER= 1.8 would be in place.

After my portmaster run i did not get the ruby19-gems port.
After reading the UPDATING file, and did not found anything related, i searched my e-mail and found your message.

Regards,
Johan Hendriks

Stanislav Sedov

Aug 23, 2011, 9:43:12 PM8/23/11
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:25:45 -0400
Steve Wills <swi...@FreeBSD.org> mentioned:

> Hi,
>
> Barring objections, I'm planning to commit this patch:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~swills/ruby19_and_gems_changes6.diff
>
> tomorrow. It will update Ruby 1.9 and make it the default version. If
> you wish to continue using Ruby 1.8, set
>
> RUBY_VER= 1.8
>
> in /etc/make.conf.
>
> There are still some ports which do not work with Ruby 1.9, but most
> work OK. If you have any objections or questions, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Hi!

We just reverted back this change due to a big list of problems people
discovered when using ruby 1.9 that we did not anticipated. We will
continue working on improving 1.9 support, as well on the improving
ways people can use 1.8 and 1.9 simultaneously. However, we decided
to delay the switch until the major problems we discovered are solved.

I would like to apologize to all folks who were affected. If you wish
to keep 1.9 as a default version, just add RUBY_DEFAULT_VERSION=1.9
to your /etc/make.conf. Othewise, follow the instructions in UPDATING
to downgrade.

If you didn't performed the update yet, everything should continue to
work as expected.

Thanks to all for patience!

--
Stanislav Sedov