2013 Machine March Madness Competition

Danny

Mar 11, 2013, 6:49:18 PM3/11/13
to Machine March Madness
It's short notice, but if you'd be interested in competing, please
drop me an email or leave a comment here:
http://blog.smellthedata.com/2013/03/machine-march-madness-2013-want-to.html

Tim Jacobs

Mar 11, 2013, 7:24:02 PM3/11/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny,

I'm definitely in.

Which service are you guys going to use for the tourney?  ESPN? / CBS? / Yahoo?  I don't remember how the scoring works.

Thanks
-Tim

Danny

Mar 11, 2013, 7:42:23 PM3/11/13
to Machine March Madness
Great! I think we'll stick with Yahoo unless somebody makes a
compelling argument for why we should change.

-danny

On Mar 11, 11:24 pm, Tim Jacobs <timj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> I'm definitely in.
>
> Which service are you guys going to use for the tourney?  ESPN? / CBS? /
> Yahoo?  I don't remember how the scoring works.
>
> Thanks
> -Tim
>

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Danny <dannytar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's short notice, but if you'd be interested in competing, please
> > drop me an email or leave a comment here:
>
> >http://blog.smellthedata.com/2013/03/machine-march-madness-2013-want-...

Dr. Pain

Mar 11, 2013, 8:10:33 PM3/11/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Here's a first cut at the data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhtAsxAVHUVKdGJHX2NiWHdPSkxkdHNJZ29uQ01oVnc&usp=sharing

This should be the team-level roll-up of the box score, e.g.,

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330690130

Naming of the columns is hopefully obvious -- the H prefix means the home team and the A prefix means the away team.

I don't scrape the player-by-player data -- does anyone actually need that?

Dr. Pain

Mar 11, 2013, 8:12:08 PM3/11/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Monte McNair is in as well, I've pointed him towards this thread.

Tim Jacobs

Mar 12, 2013, 12:52:27 AM3/12/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7266071/teams.csv

Another set of data (up until last weekish) if anyone is interested.

I've also got pickles of this in dictionary form anyone would prefer - let me know.

Thanks
-Tim

Zachary Mayer

Mar 12, 2013, 1:59:27 PM3/12/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a list of the match ups for the 2013 tournament to make predictions easier?

I watched the competition with great interest last year, and I want to take a shot this year!

Danny

Mar 12, 2013, 2:06:29 PM3/12/13
to Machine March Madness
Hi Zach,

Glad to have you on board. The match ups won't be released until
Sunday (March 17). So for now, you'll have to settle with developing
using past years data, or if you're really itching for this years
data, there are projections for how teams will be seeded (e.g., here:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology). Not sure
how reliable that will be, though.

-danny
> >http://blog.smellthedata.com/2013/03/machine-march-madness-2013-want-...

The Regressor

Mar 12, 2013, 2:31:09 PM3/12/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!  Looking forward to it :)

Zachary Mayer

Mar 12, 2013, 2:37:53 PM3/12/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Danny!

Scott Turner

Mar 12, 2013, 3:11:48 PM3/12/13
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Zachary Mayer <zach....@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have a list of the match ups for the 2013 tournament to make predictions easier?

As Danny said, not yet, but you could certainly grab last year's data and matchups for testing.

-- Scott

LeAnthony Mathews

Mar 13, 2013, 1:57:47 PM3/13/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.  Looking forward to it!

Laurent

Mar 13, 2013, 9:16:45 PM3/13/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Would anyone have last year's tournament matchup/results in an easy to use format?

Thanks, Laurent

Scott Turner

Mar 13, 2013, 9:35:05 PM3/13/13
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Laurent <lcha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would anyone have last year's tournament matchup/results in an easy to use format?

This should be all the games and results.  It doesn't have the seed or bracket information.  I may have that somewhere, I'll have to poke around.

-- Scott

Date, Hname, Hscore, Aname, Ascore
3/13/2012,Miss. Valley St.,58,West. Kentucky,59
3/13/2012,BYU,78,Iona,72
3/14/2012,Lamar,59,Vermont,71
3/14/2012,California,54,South Florida,65
3/15/2012,Murray St.,58,Colorado St.,41
3/15/2012,Kansas St.,70,Southern Miss,64
3/15/2012,Louisville,69,Davidson,62
3/15/2012,Wisconsin,73,Montana,49
3/15/2012,Marquette,88,BYU,68
3/15/2012,Syracuse,72,N.C. Asheville,65
3/15/2012,New Mexico,75,Long Beach St.,68
3/15/2012,Vanderbilt,79,Harvard,70
3/15/2012,Kentucky,81,West. Kentucky,66
3/15/2012,Wichita St.,59,VCU,62
3/15/2012,Gonzaga,77,West Virginia,54
3/15/2012,Baylor,68,South Dakota St.,60
3/15/2012,Iowa St.,77,Connecticut,64
3/15/2012,Indiana,79,New Mexico St.,66
3/15/2012,Ohio St.,78,Loyola (MD),59
3/15/2012,UNLV,64,Colorado,68
3/16/2012,Cincinnati,65,Texas,59
3/16/2012,San Diego St.,65,N.C. State,79
3/16/2012,Creighton,58,Alabama,57
3/16/2012,Florida,71,Virginia,45
3/16/2012,Florida St.,66,St. Bonaventure,63
3/16/2012,Georgetown,74,Belmont,59
3/16/2012,North Carolina,77,Vermont,58
3/16/2012,Missouri,84,Norfolk St.,86
3/16/2012,Memphis,54,Saint Louis,61
3/16/2012,Duke,70,Lehigh,75
3/16/2012,Michigan,60,Ohio,65
3/16/2012,St. Mary's,69,Purdue,72
3/16/2012,Michigan St.,89,Long Island,67
3/16/2012,Temple,44,South Florida,58
3/16/2012,Notre Dame,63,Xavier,67
3/16/2012,Kansas,65,Detroit,50
3/17/2012,Syracuse,75,Kansas St.,59
3/17/2012,Ohio St.,73,Gonzaga,66
3/17/2012,Marquette,62,Murray St.,53
3/17/2012,Wisconsin,60,Vanderbilt,57
3/17/2012,Indiana,63,VCU,61
3/17/2012,Kentucky,87,Iowa St.,71
3/17/2012,Baylor,80,Colorado,63
3/17/2012,Louisville,59,New Mexico,56
3/18/2012,Georgetown,63,N.C. State,66
3/18/2012,Michigan St.,65,Saint Louis,61
3/18/2012,North Carolina,87,Creighton,73
3/18/2012,Florida,84,Norfolk St.,50
3/18/2012,South Florida,56,Ohio,62
3/18/2012,Xavier,70,Lehigh,58
3/18/2012,Kansas,63,Purdue,60
3/18/2012,Florida St.,56,Cincinnati,62
3/22/2012,Syracuse,64,Wisconsin,63
3/22/2012,Michigan St.,44,Louisville,57
3/22/2012,Ohio St.,81,Cincinnati,66
3/22/2012,Marquette,58,Florida,68
3/23/2012,Baylor,75,Xavier,70
3/23/2012,North Carolina,73,Ohio,65
3/23/2012,Kentucky,102,Indiana,90
3/23/2012,Kansas,60,N.C. State,57
3/24/2012,Louisville,72,Florida,68
3/24/2012,Syracuse,70,Ohio St.,77
3/25/2012,Kentucky,82,Baylor,70
3/25/2012,North Carolina,67,Kansas,80
3/31/2012,Kentucky,69,Louisville,61
3/31/2012,Kansas,64,Ohio St.,62
4/2/2012,Kentucky,67,Kansas,59

Scott Turner

Mar 13, 2013, 9:37:05 PM3/13/13
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Scott Turner <srt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
I may have that somewhere, I'll have to poke around.

Here it is, in handy Lisp format.  I assume if you're in this contest you can figure out how to get it into a useful format :-)  Note that this is after the play-in games.

(
(1 "Kentucky")  (16 "Western Kentucky")
  (8 "Iowa State")  (9 "Connecticut")
  (4 "Indiana")  (13 "New Mexico State")
  (5 "Wichita State")  (12 "Virginia Commonwealth")
  (2 "Duke")  (15 "Lehigh")
  (7 "Notre Dame")  (10 "Xavier")
  (3 "Baylor")  (14 "South Dakota State")
  (6 "UNLV")  (11 "Colorado")

 (1 "Michigan State")  (16 "Long Island")
  (8 "Memphis")  (9 "Saint Louis")
  (4 "Louisville")  (13 "Davidson")
  (5 "New Mexico")  (12 "Long Beach State")
  (2 "Missouri")  (15 "Norfolk State")
  (7 "Florida")  (10 "Virginia")
  (3 "Marquette")  (14 "Brigham Young")
  (6 "Murray State")  (11 "Colorado State")

 (1 "Syracuse")  (16 "UNC-Asheville")
  (8 "Kansas State")  (9 "Southern Mississippi")
  (4 "Wisconsin")  (13 "Montana")
  (5 "Vanderbilt")  (12 "Harvard")
  (2 "Ohio State")  (15 "Loyola (MD)")
  (7 "Gonzaga")  (10 "West Virginia")
  (3 "Florida State")  (14 "St. Bonaventure")
  (6 "Cincinnati")  (11 "Texas")

 (1 "North Carolina")  (16 "Vermont")
  (8 "Creighton")  (9 "Alabama")
  (4 "Michigan")  (13 "Ohio")
  (5 "Temple")  (12 "South Florida")
  (2 "Kansas")  (15 "Detroit")
  (7 "Saint Mary's")  (10 "Purdue")
  (3 "Georgetown")  (14 "Belmont")
  (6 "San Diego State")  (11 "North Carolina State")
)

LeAnthony Mathews

Mar 17, 2013, 8:03:47 PM3/17/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a website that all the predictions will be placed?

Scott Turner

Mar 17, 2013, 8:04:47 PM3/17/13
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM, LeAnthony Mathews <leant...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you have a website that all the predictions will be placed?

There will be a Yahoo Bracket Challenge group and all the contestants will enter their predictions there.

-- Scott

Aj DiLiberto

Mar 17, 2013, 9:41:59 PM3/17/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
I get my data from Peter Tiernan.  Both Peter and his  site is incrediblee.  He is an analysts dream come true and he puts out a great stats sheet every year.  A subscriptions is only $10 or $15 and I can not say enough about it.  But on top of that, the stats sheet is awesome.  Anyway, here is the site for anyone who is interested.

AJ

Dr. Pain

Mar 18, 2013, 12:05:36 PM3/18/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com
Here is the link to the final data for the 2013 season:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhtAsxAVHUVKdEZLTWVPMDVSSFN0aThpNk1CZnYzbHc&usp=sharing

Danny, feel free to copy that elsewhere or to put the link on your blog.

-- Scott

Tim Jacobs

Mar 20, 2013, 12:03:05 AM3/20/13
to machine-ma...@googlegroups.com