Milling machine for offer

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2011, 3:24:43 PM7/3/11
to London Hackspace
Hi all,

I'm aware the current milling machine's not all that fabulous, and on
visiting my old school today (prior to its demolition) I was chatting
to my old CDT teacher, and mentioned that should the milling machine
be going spare, I might know a place it would be appreciated.

It weighs a fuckload, and I have no idea how we'd get it to the space,
and I'm not sure when it would be available from. Would the space be
interested in replacing our current one with this one?

Best wishes

Robin

Adrian Godwin

Jul 3, 2011, 4:03:06 PM7/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I preferred the idea of a big old mill, but for various valid reasons
the 3in1 was seen as more suitable.

Sadly, we'd probably need a much bigger space before we could consider
a set of full-sized machines. The 3in1's probably not a bad compromise
once the various chinese-quality issues have been worked out.

-adrian

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2011, 4:08:47 PM7/3/11
to London Hackspace
Cheers Adrian,

I'll let my old teacher know.

Basically, all the kit is being offered to other schools within
Greenwich borough, but there are some bits he knows other schools
won't be able to take (like the milling machine.) The stuff left over
will be up for offer. Is it worth me letting the space know what else
comes up, when it does, lest it be of interest?

Robin

On Jul 3, 9:03 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I preferred the idea of a big old mill, but for various valid reasons
> the 3in1 was seen as more suitable.
>
> Sadly, we'd probably need a much bigger space before we could consider
> a set of full-sized machines. The 3in1's probably not a bad compromise
> once the various chinese-quality issues have been worked out.
>
> -adrian

Steff

Jul 3, 2011, 4:13:15 PM7/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 3 July 2011 20:24, r.j.bra...@googlemail.com

<r.j.bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm aware the current milling machine's not all that fabulous, and on
> visiting my old school today (prior to its demolition) I was chatting
> to my old CDT teacher, and mentioned that should the milling machine
> be going spare, I might know a place it would be appreciated.

It'd be interesting to know what flavour of milling machine it is,
what state it's in and what tooling/toolholding (if any) comes with
it.

Billy

Jul 3, 2011, 4:30:07 PM7/3/11
to London Hackspace
If someone offers us tools, then please say yes.

Glen recently got us some excellent tools from that workshop in South
London. Some of it we're using, but he has a batch of equipment that
is going to the Hackspace that's being set up in Edinburgh.

Matthew Venn dropped by last week and is working on setting up a
hackspace in Bristol. They'll need equipment.

We also know people from Nottinghack, and i'm sourcing parts for a
mobile workshop myself.

If we get offered useful tools, say yes, then find out what the
timescale is. Then we know how long we have to sort out where it's
going.

If short-term storage is needed, then there are members that have
space available.

As for the milling machine, i'd say yes. The small mill has it's
advantages and it's dis-advantages as a tool, and while it works, it's
only on a long-term loan.

After all we'll always find someone that would want it.

Give me a shout with the specs, and i'll see what i can sort out for
transport.

On Jul 3, 9:13 pm, Steff <st...@steff.name> wrote:
> On 3 July 2011 20:24, r.j.brayhur...@googlemail.com

Sci

Jul 3, 2011, 4:35:08 PM7/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Is that a metric or imperial fuckload? :3

See if you can find out the make/model of it. We can get a precise
weight from that, and look at how to dismantle it for transport (as I
suspect taking it by car in 2-person-carry lumps may be the option
available).

~ Sci

Russ Garrett

Jul 3, 2011, 4:40:37 PM7/3/11

<r.j.bra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It weighs a fuckload, and I have no idea how we'd get it to the space,
> and I'm not sure when it would be available from. Would the space be
> interested in replacing our current one with this one?

It sounds good, but we will need detailed photos and a specification
before we can consider accepting this.

End of story.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2011, 4:49:58 PM7/3/11
to London Hackspace
Hi Russ,

No problem - have dropped Mr Dean an email asking for make / model
etc.

I'm not sure when he'll get back to me, but I'll post when I know
more.

Best wishes

Robin

On Jul 3, 9:40 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 3 July 2011 20:24, r.j.brayhur...@googlemail.com
>
> <r.j.brayhur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It weighs a fuckload, and I have no idea how we'd get it to the space,
> > and I'm not sure when it would be available from. Would the space be
> > interested in replacing our current one with this one?
>
> It sounds good, but we will need detailed photos and a specification
> before we can consider accepting this.
>
> End of story.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2011, 5:27:49 PM7/3/11
to London Hackspace

Jonty Wareing

Jul 3, 2011, 5:35:58 PM7/3/11
On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 02:27:49PM -0700, r.j.bra...@googlemail.com wrote:
> There's a photo here:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mysight/5898295849/sizes/o/in/photostream

I approve of the sign next to that mill, we should probably adopt
something similar for the hackspace...

1. Have you removed the chuck key?
2. Are your appendages clear of the spinny bits?
3. Are you sober?
4. No, really, are you sober?
5. ???
6. Profit!

--jonty

Sci

Jul 3, 2011, 6:06:49 PM7/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Got it: http://www.lathes.co.uk/marlowmiller/

Looks like a Marlow "standard" since there's no apparent quill-feed.
Also sounds like it's a #3 Morse quill taper. Imperial machine.

Does however look like it won't dismantle very far. Unless there's some
oddly positioned retaining bolts for the main body of it, looks like
only the head and saddle will be readily removed. I'd worry the saddle
might be hard to re-align, but might remove about a 6th of the mass
(guessing).

I'd guess we're looking at the 400-500Kg range, possibly breaking down
into 40/60/400Kg is dismantled into the three chunks.

~ Sci

Alex Pounds

Jul 3, 2011, 8:14:59 PM7/3/11
On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 10:35:58PM +0100, Jonty Wareing wrote:
> I approve of the sign next to that mill, we should probably adopt
> something similar for the hackspace...

One (pithier) sign I have heard of before is "This machine has infinite
patience, but zero mercy."

--
Alex Pounds .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
/V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/

Sci

Jul 5, 2011, 7:23:18 PM7/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is there a deadline on this btw? Surprised this thread went quiet already.

With a little bit of shifting around, it could probably fit in the space
fine.

Getting it there is the issue. Do we have access to a pallet-trolly or
similar? Without lots of manhandling, we'd probably need a vehicle with
a lift at the rear. (maybe a ramp, but we'd need a winch too)

~ Sci

Billy

Jul 5, 2011, 7:41:35 PM7/5/11
to London Hackspace

On Jul 6, 12:23 am, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> Is there a deadline on this btw? Surprised this thread went quiet already.

Think that we're awaiting email replies.

> With a little bit of shifting around, it could probably fit in the space
> fine.

Agreed. If it has full functionality, then it could replace the small
mill, and Nigle could pass it on to the next batch of people who
wanted to borrow it.

> Getting it there is the issue. Do we have access to a pallet-trolly or
> similar? Without lots of manhandling, we'd probably need a vehicle with
> a lift at the rear. (maybe a ramp, but we'd need a winch too)

Pallet truck , we can borrow. Some of the people in the other units
are friendly. I've invited some of them over, though only a few have
dropped by. That said, we've given them help when needed, so they're
cool.

Ramp and winch on the truck, depends on the stripped down weight. With
a little padding, it'll be tip-and-slide-able, for loading and
unloading. Done that successfully with equally heavy things...

Just needs a pallet truck on both ends. and a few warm bodies to help.

> ~ Sci

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2011, 1:21:53 PM7/6/11
to London Hackspace
Hi there,

I've been in touch with Mr Dean, and I'm waiting for news from him on
what the make / model is, and when it'll be available.

The school is moving in October half term, and it's Mr Dean that's co-
ordinating the move to the new school, so I think he might be a little
bit busy ;). I'll update when I get some more news.

Best wishes

Robin

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2011, 1:23:12 PM7/6/11
to London Hackspace
I need to add that my back is fucked, and I'm not capable of doing any
lifting and handling, unfortunately.