Hackspace Podcast

Martin

Jul 5, 2011, 6:41:08 PM7/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
A few of us were talking over the last couple of days about doing a podcast from the hackspace to show of members projects and generally get the message out about how cool the project is.  I've set up a project page at http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:Podcast I'll be recording next monday at about 8ish from the space, if you want to come along, either stick something on the wiki, or just come along and talk shit into a mic for an hour.  Plan for the podcast to be done weekly and last about an hour each week.

Any suggestions or comments welcome

Martin Dittus

Jul 5, 2011, 7:13:45 PM7/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Very good project. I hope you'll get lots of support for this.

m.

Matte

Jul 5, 2011, 7:42:25 PM7/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be up for helping wit this I have a Roland UA25-ex usb sound card and a couple of mics I can Lug to the space if your interested,

Cheers,

Matt H

Jon Spriggs

Jul 6, 2011, 4:06:11 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Consider contacting "Koen Martens" <g...@hackerspaces.org> who runs
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Signal - maybe you could consider getting
it syndicated on their feed?
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs

Martin

Jul 6, 2011, 4:47:00 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeh, that would be awesome, I have a couple of mics, but if you have better bring them along, was planning to buy a usb sound card, but if you have one then that solves the problem :)

Martin

Jul 6, 2011, 4:55:12 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeh, I'll definately get in contact with them.  Also I'm thinking of contacting catalyst radio ( http://www.catalystradio.org ) to see if we can get syndicated on there, with those 2 it should be really good

tom

Jul 6, 2011, 5:18:33 AM7/6/11
to London Hackspace
we did consider (and set up) a youtube channel for the space too. Just
a monthly roundup of things that have happened to try and get more
people interested

On Jul 6, 9:55 am, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yeh, I'll definately get in contact with them.  Also I'm thinking of
> contacting catalyst radio (http://www.catalystradio.org) to see if we can
> get syndicated on there, with those 2 it should be really good
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Jon Spriggs <j...@sprig.gs> wrote:
> > On 5 July 2011 23:41, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > > A few of us were talking over the last couple of days about doing a
> > podcast
> > > from the hackspace to show of members projects and generally get the
> > message
> > > out about how cool the project is.  I've set up a project page at
> > >http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:PodcastI'll be recording next
> > > monday at about 8ish from the space, if you want to come along, either
> > stick
> > > something on the wiki, or just come along and talk shit into a mic for an
> > > hour.  Plan for the podcast to be done weekly and last about an hour each
> > > week.
>
> > > Any suggestions or comments welcome
>
> > Consider contacting "Koen Martens" <g...@hackerspaces.org> who runs
> >http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Signal- maybe you could consider getting

Tim Storey

Jul 6, 2011, 5:55:06 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Do we really need so much publicity ?
I am scared of HackSpace becoming 'cool geek space'

Sam Cook

Jul 6, 2011, 5:58:12 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What's wrong with being a "cool geek space" as long as people are using the space and it's not getting trashed the more == the merrier.

Martin Dittus

Jul 6, 2011, 6:00:54 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Publicity: more exposure for projects. Yes pls!

Tim Storey

Jul 6, 2011, 6:03:05 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
its merely a thought, publicity is not always a good thing

Martin

Jul 6, 2011, 6:24:15 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As long as we attract the right sort of people I don't see a problem.  The podcast is only going to put out the message about projects going on, and then if people are interested in those projects its fine.  We're not suddenly gunna become cool just because of a podcast .... Sorry :(

tom

Jul 6, 2011, 6:53:09 AM7/6/11
to London Hackspace
"no, go away, this is our secret club!"

its not just the publicity, some of us would just like to show-off. If
it ends up promoting the space as a side effect then even better

I'll rethink the youtube thingy again, I do have a camera and I'm sure
(with permission) people wouldnt mind being in a 5 minute vid every
month

On Jul 6, 11:03 am, Tim Storey <tim.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> its merely a thought, publicity is not always a good thing
>
> On 6 July 2011 10:58, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > What's wrong with being a "cool geek space" as long as people are using the
> > space and it's not getting trashed the more == the merrier.

> > On 6 July 2011 10:55, Tim Storey <tim.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Do we really need so much publicity ?
> >> I am scared of HackSpace becoming 'cool geek space'

Matte

Jul 6, 2011, 7:16:46 AM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have an Shure PG57 and a Shure PG58, I'll see if I can bring a couple of stands, but they'll have to come on the train with me so if someone could bring a couple to the space I'd like that...

Cheers,

Matt H

Gausie

Jul 6, 2011, 9:26:17 AM7/6/11
to London Hackspace
This is an awesome idea. I'd love to help out, although Mondays are
always troublesome.

Gausie

On Jul 6, 12:16 pm, Matte <the.chaotic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Shure PG57 and a Shure PG58, I'll see if I can bring a couple of
> stands, but they'll have to come on the train with me so if someone could
> bring a couple to the space I'd like that...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt H
>
> www.hda1.co.uk
>
> On 6 July 2011 09:47, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Yeh, that would be awesome, I have a couple of mics, but if you have better
> > bring them along, was planning to buy a usb sound card, but if you have one
> > then that solves the problem :)
>
> > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Matte <the.chaotic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I'd be up for helping wit this I have a Roland UA25-ex usb sound card and
> >> a couple of mics I can Lug to the space if your interested,
>
> >> Cheers,
>
> >> Matt H
>
> >>www.hda1.co.uk

Martin

Jul 6, 2011, 2:34:13 PM7/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeh, think we can do without the stands, theres plenty of stuff around we can use for that, and if all else fails we can just hold the mic ourselves.  I'll be about the space tomorrow, so maybe see if I can fix something up then, failing that, I'm sure I can pick something up

Rob

Jul 6, 2011, 8:17:22 PM7/6/11
to London Hackspace
Given that it *is* my dayjob, I can also volunteer use of a
soundproofed broadcast studio and/or editing facilities over in
Russell Square in case the hackspace is too noisy, otherwise we have a
second radio mixing desk that we probably could loan to the hackspace
for a while, as long as it doesn't get hacked anymore than it has
been...

I might be able to lay my hands on a couple of table-top mic stands,
too.

Rob

On Jul 6, 7:34 pm, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yeh, think we can do without the stands, theres plenty of stuff around we
> can use for that, and if all else fails we can just hold the mic ourselves.
> I'll be about the space tomorrow, so maybe see if I can fix something up
> then, failing that, I'm sure I can pick something up
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Matte <the.chaotic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have an Shure PG57 and a Shure PG58, I'll see if I can bring a couple of
> > stands, but they'll have to come on the train with me so if someone could
> > bring a couple to the space I'd like that...
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > Matt H
>
> >www.hda1.co.uk
>
> > On 6 July 2011 09:47, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Yeh, that would be awesome, I have a couple of mics, but if you have
> >> better bring them along, was planning to buy a usb sound card, but if you
> >> have one then that solves the problem :)

Tweaker

Jul 7, 2011, 2:54:35 AM7/7/11
to London Hackspace
Hi,
With reference to 1st post on this above,and the suggestion that it
would be a good idea to get the Hackspace more "on the map/out there"
so to speak.
Would it be a good idea to use the railingspace outside 23 & 24 facing
the overland train going past very frequently?
Perhaps add our full webpresence onto the banner already hanging
there.The banner has already been noticed!
Maybe device a moving message sign(oh what a thought!) from the
recently acquired Sony Jumbotron pieces?
Add a SMS texting interface,with revenuegenerating number towards
Hackspace's running costs,or some of it,so people on the train could
send their messages to the display from their mobiles!
Could be a hit!Think about the potential of it...Mind boggles,eh!
Advertising space could also be a potential,but may have to be
discussed from an ethical/commercial point?
On Jul 6, 9:55 am, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yeh, I'll definately get in contact with them.  Also I'm thinking of
> contacting catalyst radio (http://www.catalystradio.org) to see if we can
> get syndicated on there, with those 2 it should be really good
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Jon Spriggs <j...@sprig.gs> wrote:
> > On 5 July 2011 23:41, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > > A few of us were talking over the last couple of days about doing a
> > podcast
> > > from the hackspace to show of members projects and generally get the
> > message
> > > out about how cool the project is.  I've set up a project page at
> > >http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:PodcastI'll be recording next
> > > monday at about 8ish from the space, if you want to come along, either
> > stick
> > > something on the wiki, or just come along and talk shit into a mic for an
> > > hour.  Plan for the podcast to be done weekly and last about an hour each
> > > week.
>
> > > Any suggestions or comments welcome
>
> > Consider contacting "Koen Martens" <g...@hackerspaces.org> who runs
> >http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Signal- maybe you could consider getting

danny staple

Jul 7, 2011, 3:49:33 AM7/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

This sounds great. It may be a good idea to know what the landlords view on that kind of advertising is. Is there any such restriction in the lease?

That jumbotron idea could be linked with the irc bot so messages can be popped up like the one in the space, and so irc users can see what is being posted.

If it is going the way of a premium text there should be a time the message is guaranteed to be cycled with a couple of others and a buffer.

typed on my phone expect typos...

Robert Leverington

Jul 7, 2011, 4:14:39 AM7/7/11
On 2011-07-07, danny staple wrote:
> This sounds great. It may be a good idea to know what the landlords view on
> that kind of advertising is. Is there any such restriction in the lease?

Any advertising from the balcony requires consent from the local
planning authority. I would also argue that the banner as it stands
requires this.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/783/schedule/3/made

2C. An advertisement relating to any institution of a religious,
educational, cultural, recreational or medical or similar character, or
to any hotel, inn or public house, block of flats, club, boarding house,
hostel or Bed and Breakfast establishment, at the premises where it is
displayed.

(4) No part of the advertisement may be more than 4.6 metres above
ground level, or 3.6 metres in an area of special control.

Robert

tom

Jul 7, 2011, 4:55:05 AM7/7/11
to London Hackspace
does that cover projections?

Robert Leverington

Jul 7, 2011, 5:16:09 AM7/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think a projected advertisement is still an advertisement.

The legislation also prohibits certain types of illumination without
consent from the planning authority.

Robert

Philippe Bradley

Jul 7, 2011, 5:29:37 AM7/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112865

"
Reg 155

"Lasers, search lights and beams of light should be regarded as
advertisements and will require express consent.
All illuminated advertisements projected onto buildings, or
landscapes, or sky require express consent. All these kinds of
illuminated advertisements should be considered on a site specific
basis taking account of amenity and public safety issues."

It looks like there may be a technical breach but fines are supposed
to reflect the profit unlawfully gained

Tweaker

Jul 7, 2011, 6:53:14 AM7/7/11
to London Hackspace
Oh Dear,looks like one opened up that can of "worms" here!
Can we put the lid back on?Or use trained glow worms for our message?
Doesn't say anything about that in the "redtape" brigades triplicate
about holding pets,which glows etc...

Martin

Jul 7, 2011, 8:48:31 AM7/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think we're gunna be ok on stuff unless the council decide to tell us to take it down, at least in my experience with councils on advertising, unless its particularly outrageous, they will just send you a letter to ask it be removed, rather than any other action.  So, easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission.

About the studio, nice idea, but think it would be best to do it from the space where possible, we would get a lot more people involved and it would be easier to explain things on the podcast when you can actually play with what is being talked about.  Will bear it in mind though if things do get a little too noisy

Charles Yarnold

Jul 8, 2011, 3:04:54 PM7/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
To try and bring this back on track:

The chance of me making it on a Monday is very slim, but if you need pre-recorded segments etc give me a shout.

(I'm also a theatre techie so let me know if you need help with equipment etc)

Sol

Martin

Jul 10, 2011, 9:04:58 PM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
yeh cool m8, sry for slow reply, you welcome to do anything if you get the chance now.  Anyway, other than that I'll see you all tomorrow :)

Charles Yarnold

Jul 11, 2011, 12:10:27 PM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I can now make it \0/ will be there a couple of mins after 8.

Do you need any equipment?

Sol

Sent from my Android, please excuse typos and spelling errors.

On Jul 11, 2011 2:05 AM, "Martin" <crys...@googlemail.com> wrote:

yeh cool m8, sry for slow reply, you welcome to do anything if you get the chance now.  Anyway, other than that I'll see you all tomorrow :)

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com> wrote: > > To try and b...

Martin

Jul 11, 2011, 1:05:48 PM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think we should be ok if we got the usb soundcard and the mic's coming, I have some backup stuff, but that might be a bit ghetto.  If you got anything light that you can bring, we'll see if we can hook some more stuff in, might be fun.  I'm at the space now setting up and getting everything ready.
c u l8er

Matte

Jul 11, 2011, 6:26:39 PM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I had a really good time joining in with this, I can't wait to hear the finished results...

Matt H

Martin

Jul 11, 2011, 6:59:21 PM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeh, was fun.  I'm currently trying to edit it together.  Gunna make a best effort, but we're a little bit crackly in places.  Will drop a usb stick with it on at the space tomorrow lunch time, if u'r about maybe could go through some of it, else I'll just see what I can do.

Nigel Worsley

Jul 11, 2011, 7:08:04 PM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I think we should be ok if we got the usb soundcard and the mic's coming, I have some backup stuff, but that might be
> a bit ghetto.

If this becomes a regular thing and you want some better gear then I can loan one of these:

It isn't as big as you might think from the photo, 14" wide so it doesn't take up too much space. A bit of an
overkill for a simple podcast, but it may prove useful. It also looks nicely high tech...

Nigle

Matte

Jul 12, 2011, 2:51:27 AM7/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have a feeling the problem may have been handling noise from the mics, I was kinda expecting that, I'm going to source a couple of boundary mics for the next recording. However, now I smell bacon from the cafe downstairs....

Cheers,

Martin

Jul 12, 2011, 4:50:27 AM7/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
OK, we should be able to edit it together quite well, will be about the space from about 6ish tonight and hopefully edit together something decent before the masses show up