ready made hackspace

Adrian Godwin

Jun 25, 2011, 6:39:39 PM6/25/11
to london-hack-space
Everything you need. Just add space.

Kind of sad, this .. a bit of a reflection on our continued
dumbing-down of education.

http://www.peacockauction.co.uk/pages/forthcoming/Forthcoming.html#School

But there's real band & tablesaws, a kiln, casting boxes, superb benches ..

-adrian

Sam Cook

Jun 25, 2011, 6:59:11 PM6/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That is pretty sad really.

I would certainly suggest we put in a bid on a couple of those benches given that they retail for in excess of £1k and we could really do with at least one more really good quality bench.

Tim Storey

Jun 25, 2011, 7:01:27 PM6/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
and the anvil

Adrian Godwin

Jun 25, 2011, 7:14:16 PM6/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
the anvil would be truly magnificent

Tim Storey

Jun 25, 2011, 7:24:02 PM6/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
really, we should bid, we now have the fire tray from the Victorian Hackspace in Crystal Palace, we need a good anvil and then we can do some forge work, tool making etc...
The brazing hood/firepit thing looks good too

Kieran Kunhya

Jun 25, 2011, 7:29:03 PM6/25/11
to London Hackspace
> Kind of sad, this .. a bit of a reflection on our continued
> dumbing-down of education.

http://www.ashcroft.beds.sch.uk/pages/auction.htm

The implication seems to be that they're going to get new equipment
from BSF so it doesn't seem that bad.
Having said that they could be replacing their d&t space with "digital
media suites" or some crap like my (private) school did.

Sci

Jun 25, 2011, 7:42:46 PM6/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
IIRC there's the sign-up fee and so on for these sort of auctions. Could
we also allow space members to use the space auction account to bid on
items for themselves (presuming they aren't wanted for the space itself,
and wouldn't put us over the account limit)?

~ Sci

On 25/06/2011 23:59, Sam Cook wrote:
> That is pretty sad really.
>
> I would certainly suggest we put in a bid on a couple of those benches
> given that they retail for in excess of �1k and we could really do with
> at least one more really good quality bench.

> On 25 June 2011 23:39, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com

Sam Cook

Jun 26, 2011, 3:31:53 AM6/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We do currently have an anvil; although it is on load from spooq IIRC

Adrian Godwin

Jun 26, 2011, 3:42:27 AM6/26/11
On 6/26/11, Tim Storey <tim.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> really, we should bid, we now have the fire tray from the Victorian
> Hackspace in Crystal Palace, we need a good anvil and then we can do some
> forge work, tool making etc...
> The brazing hood/firepit thing looks good too

It does, but is probably natural gas. Changing to propane will
probably require a new torch. Still cheaper than buying the whole
thing new, but expect to pay as much for the new torch as the
secondhand hood/tray.

I agree about the anvil, but I'd expect to budget at least £100 for
it, maybe twice that. They don't usually go dirt cheap. Of course, you
never know, certainly worth watching even if there isn't that level of
interest amongst members.

Bandsaws and table saws come up relatively often. I'd guess £150.
Personally, I think high quality ones like this are worth the possible
risk of needing repair work : it seems to me that cheap chinese ones
fail anyway, and the new cost of a Startrite is probably way outside
our range.

Benches should be cheap - unlikely to be above £50 and could easily be
less than £20. But allow for transport costs.

Mark Steward

Jun 26, 2011, 4:53:19 AM6/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, there's no sign-up fee, and a couple of us are already registered and have bought from these auction rooms before.  I'm a bit concerned now, as I can't work out where you got that idea from - or were you just thinking out loud?

If you want to bid on stuff for yourself, by all means sign up, but please come into IRC on the day, because we'll be discussing which items to go for and don't want to be outbid.

Mark

Billy

Jun 26, 2011, 5:34:02 AM6/26/11
to London Hackspace

It might be worth shouting some of the other hackspaces that are
setting up, to see if they need any of this stuff.

Glen has already got one lathe from the Crystal Palace workshop to
give to the Edinburgh hackspace.

Means that we won't be bidding against each other, at least.

On Jun 26, 9:53 am, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, there's no sign-up fee, and a couple of us are already
> registered and have bought from these auction rooms before.  I'm a bit
> concerned now, as I can't work out where you got that idea from - or were
> you just thinking out loud?
>
> If you want to bid on stuff for yourself, by all means sign up, but please
> come into IRC on the day, because we'll be discussing which items to go for
> and don't want to be outbid.
>
> Mark
>
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> > IIRC there's the sign-up fee and so on for these sort of auctions. Could
> > we also allow space members to use the space auction account to bid on
> > items for themselves (presuming they aren't wanted for the space itself,
> > and wouldn't put us over the account limit)?
>
> > ~ Sci
>
> > On 25/06/2011 23:59, Sam Cook wrote:
> > > That is pretty sad really.
>
> > > I would certainly suggest we put in a bid on a couple of those benches
> > > given that they retail for in excess of £1k and we could really do with
> > > at least one more really good quality bench.

> > > On 25 June 2011 23:39, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com
> > > <mailto:artgod...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > >     Everything you need. Just add space.
>
> > >     Kind of sad, this .. a bit of a reflection on our continued
> > >     dumbing-down of education.
>
> >http://www.peacockauction.co.uk/pages/forthcoming/Forthcoming.html#Sc...

Sci

Jun 26, 2011, 11:31:52 AM6/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It may have not been about this particular auction-house, but in a
was told there was a fee to be a bidder, a purchase fee on items bought,
plus VAT. That thread someone said they'd gotten an account with a �1000
cap. I don't know how much rules change between houses.

~ Sci

Adrian Godwin

Jun 26, 2011, 12:22:17 PM6/26/11
On 6/26/11, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> It may have not been about this particular auction-house, but in a
> was told there was a fee to be a bidder, a purchase fee on items bought,
> plus VAT. That thread someone said they'd gotten an account with a £1000
> cap. I don't know how much rules change between houses.
>
> ~ Sci

I don't know whether that's a different auction , but I think it's
just a misunderstanding of this one.

1. You do have to pre-register and if you do it online you will need a
credit card. However, there is no fee. There may be a limit, I'm not
sure. There was a limit for the Parker Pattison auction house, and you
had to pre-pay a deposit (which was refunded).

2. There IS a fee paid on top of the bid : i.e. you pay more than the
bid price. I think it's 15% at the auction, slightly more on-line.
There's also VAT in most cases.

-adrian

Mark Steward

Jun 26, 2011, 2:04:43 PM6/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Adrian Godwin

Jul 24, 2011, 10:32:25 AM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This auction has now moved : it's now to be held at the auction centre
(rather than the school) next Saturday. Some of the kit has turned up
there and I've had a look : I won't be able to look again until
Friday.

From what I can see at the moment, there are a few things of interest :

A very small CNC mill, nicely home made. Would make a reasonable CNC
pcb-mill. This is not the one that's just visible in one of the
original photos - I'm hoping that will turn up later and will try to
bid on it myself.

A full size Startrite bandsaw. Expect this to go for £150-200

A very solid (cast table) circular table saw (not a chop saw).

A double-ended polishing spindle on a stand

Some pneumatics training boards with random pneumatic components on them

Also, but perhaps impractically :

A Colchester Bantam lathe (this is the smallest of the 3 lathes
available - the others are a Boxford and a Harrison)

A horizontal mill

Several floor-standing pillar drills

Adrian Godwin

Jul 29, 2011, 2:47:12 PM7/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Last chance - this stuff gets sold tomorrow. There are one or two
items I hope to bid on but I'm not feeling wealthy enough to donate
them so let me know if you are, or if you can get a pledge together. I
don't think these are going to be on the internet bidder so you'll
have to let me know what to bid for, or come along yourself.

Crummy website makes deeplinking difficult, interesting stuff starts
about lot 4400 (and I think you'll have to page the 'next' buttons to
get there)

http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/whpeacock1/bidcat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&F2=4169&F4=1054&select=1131&status=C

-adrian

Philippe Bradley

Jul 29, 2011, 3:44:34 PM7/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Adrian Godwin

Jul 29, 2011, 4:47:02 PM7/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
yes, thanks.

Billy

Jul 29, 2011, 5:42:15 PM7/29/11
to London Hackspace

I want this http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/whpeacock1/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=1131&LotRef=4500

I'll chip in £100 plus the vat for it.

Anyone else interested?

On Jul 29, 9:47 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes, thanks.
>
> On 7/29/11, Philippe Bradley <philbrad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You mean around here?
> >http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/whpeacock1/bidcat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&...
>
> > On 29 July 2011 19:47, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Last chance - this stuff gets sold tomorrow. There are one or two
> >> items I hope to bid on but I'm not feeling wealthy enough to donate
> >> them so let me know if you are, or if you can get a pledge together. I
> >> don't think these are going to be on the internet bidder so you'll
> >> have to let me know what to bid for, or come along yourself.
>
> >> Crummy website makes deeplinking difficult, interesting stuff starts
> >> about lot 4400 (and I think you'll have to page the 'next' buttons to
> >> get there)
>
> >>http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/whpeacock1/bidcat/Catalogues.asp?F1=3072&...
>
> >> -adrian

Philippe Bradley

Jul 29, 2011, 6:02:22 PM7/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I can chip in £30 toward a carpenters' workbench (lots 4477 or 4478:
http://data.bidmaster.co.uk/whpeacock1/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=1131&LotRef=4477
)

Mark Steward

Jul 29, 2011, 7:28:50 PM7/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That would be handy - but how would we get it back from Bedford?  I'll be online tomorrow, watching the auction...

Mark

Cepmender

Jul 30, 2011, 4:48:00 AM7/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Add £20 from me

Cepmender

Jul 30, 2011, 4:52:42 AM7/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Save your money....

Stand next to Wyle  E.  Coyote  and one will come falling from the sky ....

Billy

Jul 30, 2011, 9:48:41 AM7/30/11
to London Hackspace
Got a shout from artag.

He didn't get the anvil.

He did get the large workbnch and some other bits and pieces.

More details when he gets back.

On Jul 30, 9:52 am, Cepmender <cepmen...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Save your money....
>
> Stand next to Wyle  E.  Coyote  and one will come falling from the sky ....

Adrian Godwin

Jul 30, 2011, 11:45:00 AM7/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I got lot #4477, the better of the two benches. It was £40 + taxes
(I'll pay the odd bit above what philippe & cepmender offered). Turns
out it can be unbolted so I can get it in my car. I didn't have time
to do that today so I'll go back on monday and bring it to the space
asap. A pretty good buy, I think. W can remove the metalworking vice
from the woodwork bench (leaving the top properly clear to work on
large flat sheets) and keep things separate most of the time.

Also got the whiteboard for a fiver - I think it might have the
controller integrated after all, it's got a 9-pin D on the bottom.
Will need a PSU and some hacking but seemed worth a stab.

The little CNC PCB drill went for £75. Not worthwhile imho - that cost
of parts would go a long way to making a better one.

The casting bench went for £65. Pretty good, but without space for it,
a reasonable expectation of being able to do some casting, and more
than a couple of people keen, it seemed best not to waste hackspace on
it.

The saws were expensive: £300+ for the bandsaw. I''ve seen these go for £150.

Lathes also fairly expensive, £3-400. On the whole, I prefer dedicated
weekday machinery sales.

-adrian

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 30, 2011, 7:35:38 PM7/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great! 8-) Thanks for your efforts on this one :)

Just dropped £10 into the general donations box.... Will leave the other
half tomorrow.

There is a much nicer metalwork vice that I brought in (a Record No. 4) I
will sort it out tonight/tomorrow ready to fit to the new bench.

Phil

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:45:00 +0100, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com>

Adrian Godwin

Jul 31, 2011, 3:14:11 AM7/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Phil

I'll have to pay for it myself monday though, so it's probably
convenient to give me money direct rather than via a pledge (though I
don't mind setting it up that way if you prefer).

-adrian

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 31, 2011, 3:45:45 AM7/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No problem, I shall fish it out again.... are you likely to be here today?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:14:11 +0100, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, Phil

Adrian Godwin

Jul 31, 2011, 4:01:06 AM7/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm coming in for the party.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Aug 1, 2011, 9:52:05 AM8/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The whiteboard turns out to be a Numonics IPM II, which requires not
only a PSU and drivers (should be hackable easily enough) but also a
digitizing pen, i.e. it's not touch-sensitive. There is no pen, of
course, and a replacement from the manufacturers costs $79 which is
unlikely to be worthwhile.

However, it's still a large whiteboard in good condition, and it may
turn out to be possible to hack a pen (I think it's probably similar
to a Wacom - it's inductve / rf and active). If anyone can get hold of
a pen (even temporarily, for cloning) that would be useful.

I can't in any case transport it into the space immediately as it
won't easily fit into the car at the same time as the workbench, but
is everyone happy for me to bring it in and mount it on the quiet room
wall ? It only cost a fiver so i don't want to bring it if it's not
useful.

-adrian

Billy

Aug 1, 2011, 5:27:50 PM8/1/11
to London Hackspace

There's a mate i know who works at a college where they use something
like this. not sure if it's the same model, but i'll ask him. He might
have a spare/a de-commisioned one we can have.