linking ui

Lindar

Oct 13, 2010, 1:50:51 PM10/13/10
to lojban
From the department of Shut Up You Emo Fag comes a question about UI.

How do we explicitly link UI? I understand that it's up in the air
when multiple UI come in succession, but Wouldn't It Be Nice If (tm)
we could explicitly link them?

(Also, for those I've ripped on regarding UI, I do care, I'm just not
a whiny touchy baby like you. ;-) )

Also, is the "UI aren't realis or irrealis, the bridi is" thing
official/recognised/acknowledged in any way?

Luke Bergen

Oct 13, 2010, 2:01:59 PM10/13/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if you could use {bo} to link UI...  With regard to the realis/irrealis, I'm still a little fuzzy on the difference between the two, but I believe the CLL makes a distinction between "pure emotions" and "propositional attitude indicators".  I think chapter 13.3 says it best:

As mentioned at the beginning of Section 2, attitudinals may be divided into two groups, the pure emotion indicators explained in that section, and a contrasting group which may be called the ``propositional attitude indicators''. These indicators establish an internal, hypothetical world which the speaker is reacting to, distinct from the world as it really is. Thus we may be expressing our attitude towards ``what the world would be like if ...'', or more directly stating our attitude towards making the potential world a reality.

Lindar

Oct 13, 2010, 2:59:11 PM10/13/10
to lojban
I was talkinng about the byfy proposal i made that evryone seemed to
like, not the existing meaning.

Luke Bergen

Oct 13, 2010, 3:18:00 PM10/13/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
which byfy proposal is this?  I don't always follow all the threads on the lojban list.