Linux SpaceNavigator issue

ze

Oct 24, 2010, 7:17:34 PM10/24/10
to liquid-galaxy
great to see some progress made in this!
i just found the tutorial for getting this to work, installed google
earth
5.2.1.1588, and gave it a try. however, google earth does not respond
the space navigator...
i already had the udev rules configured and permissions for the device
set as accessible to my user, and evtest shows data properly.
i've noticed there's no mention of kernel version, and suspect it may
be
relevant; these devices reported their axes as relative until 2.6.33
at which
point a fix was included to properly report them as absolute.
does the support code in google earth expect it as relative, as it was
in
previous kernel versions?
this is the only thing i can think of, as everything else is correct.

Jason Holt

Oct 25, 2010, 2:45:40 AM10/25/10
to liquid...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow, yeah, I bet that would break it.  Thanks for reporting this!  Is it possible for you to try an older kernel to verify?  Here I posted some sample code for reading axis events:

https://groups.google.com/group/liquid-galaxy/browse_thread/thread/c12496d8717a0720/5be9116f566c5be0?lnk=gst&q=include+main#5be9116f566c5be0

Do you know if the kernel change affects the values?  If not, then the fix should be as simple as accepting either EV_REL or EV_ABS.

ze

Oct 25, 2010, 4:56:22 AM10/25/10
to liquid-galaxy
took a bit of hacking to get my old kernel to boot up on newer udev,
but i managed to get it working.
i can confirm the spacenav works fine on that older kernel. your test
code does too, while giving nothing but "Unknown event type" on my
newer kernel.
as for the kernel changes, the extent of them are shown at
http://git.kernel.org/linus/24985cf68612a5617d396b0b188cec807641cde1
really pretty simple, unless there's been more since, it doesn't look
like it'd affect the values afaict.

On Oct 24, 11:45 pm, Jason Holt <jh...@google.com> wrote:
> Oh wow, yeah, I bet that would break it.  Thanks for reporting this!  Is it
> possible for you to try an older kernel to verify?  Here I posted some
> sample code for reading axis events:
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/liquid-galaxy/browse_thread/thread/c1...

Jason Holt

Oct 25, 2010, 9:25:52 PM10/25/10