柴铃在中关村创业的公司和近照

wanghx

Jun 5, 2008, 6:25:25 AM6/5/08
to salon-...@googlegroups.com, lih...@googlegroups.com
http://www.guofengnet.org/bbs/show.php?f=48&p=88500
柴铃在中关村创业的公司和近照

作者:  和平转型  2008-06-04 23:50:34  (阅读:62)

Smart Solutions for Higher Education

About Jenzabar Products Services Clients Partners News & Events Careers

About Jenzabar

Our Focus Is Higher Education
History
i3 Product Strategy
Office Locations
Management Bios
The Jenzabar Foundation

Management Bios

Robert A. Maginn, Jr. has served as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Jenzabar since December 1998 and as Chief Executive Officer since March 2001. Prior to Jenzabar, Mr. Maginn worked for over 17 years at Bain & Company, from 1983 to 2000. Mr. Maginn served as a Senior Partner and Director at Bain & Company. Mr. Maginn received a Master of Business Administration from the Harvard Business School with high honors, a Master of Liberal Arts in Government from Harvard University and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, summa cum laude, from the University of Dayton.

Ling Chai founded Jenzabar in April 1998, and has served as President since its inception and as Chief Operating Officer since March 2001. Ms. Chai served as Chief Executive Officer from its inception to February 2001 and as Chairman of the Board from Jenzabar's inception to December 1998. From September 1996 through June 1998, Ms. Chai attended Harvard Business School, from which she received her Master of Business Administration in 1998. From September 1993 to June 1996, she worked as a consultant at Bain & Company. Ms. Chai received her undergraduate degree from Beijing University, and also holds a Master of Liberal Arts in Public Affairs from The Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University. Ms. Chai is honored and profiled for her role in the 1989 pro-democracy student movement in China's Tiananmen Square.

wanghx

Jun 5, 2008, 11:19:22 AM6/5/08
to salon-...@googlegroups.com, lih...@googlegroups.com
你只要稍微用一用小脑,大脑都不必用,就知道所谓“写悔过书”,回国开公司,都是怎么回事。:)
如果中共不是白痴,你就要时刻小心自己是不是白痴。:P

1. 该公司网页丝毫没有提到该公司在中国或者北京有分部。
2. 在该网站搜索 beijing, china 关键词,没有任何关于在中国营销业务,合作伙伴的内容。

http://www.jenzabar.net/about_jbar/mgmt.html

Ling Chai founded Jenzabar in April 1998, and has served as President since its inception and as Chief Operating Officer since March 2001. Ms. Chai served as Chief Executive Officer from its inception to February 2001 and as Chairman of the Board from Jenzabar's inception to December 1998. From September 1996 through June 1998, Ms. Chai attended Harvard Business School, from which she received her Master of Business Administration in 1998. From September 1993 to June 1996, she worked as a consultant at Bain & Company. Ms. Chai received her undergraduate degree from Beijing University, and also holds a Master of Liberal Arts in Public Affairs from The Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University. Ms. Chai is honored and profiled for her role in the 1989 pro-democracy student movement in China's Tiananmen Square.

http://www.jenzabar.net/news/pressroom/baseline.html

Revolution Has Its Price
By Ling Chai (external)

In Tiananmen Square, she was a student leader who stood up to tanks. In the U.S., she became a software executive who had to deal with venture capitalists. Guess which one was the tougher opponent.

At Jenzabar, the company I founded in 1998, the concept was a rather straightforward one for universities in the United States.

We would create a "media station" for colleges. The presidents of these institutions would be able to broadcast curriculum information and changes to students and administration, faculty would communicate directly with students, students would collaborate with other students. Life in higher education would become more effective, through better tutelage; more efficient, through better scheduling; and more substantive, through the cross-fertilization of innovative minds.

The idea is to-pardon the use of the dot-com phrase-merge the bricks of public and private institutions with the clicks of laptop and desktop computers to create an intellectual environment that challenges and stretches the intellectual capacity of the MTV generation.

The seemingly mundane combination of calendaring, admission processing, study group coordination, calling-list management and learning services that Jenzabar provides seems to have resonated at colleges from coast to coast, from Claremont College in California, to Columbia College in Chicago, to Harvard Medical School in Boston. We have managed to somehow survive the dot-com bust, reach $50 million in annual revenue and achieve profitability. Not bad.

But, as any project manager might attest, it takes almost religious fervor to get such a seemingly safe idea across even in a country that is most receptive to entrepreneurial activity. Don't get me wrong: I feel extremely fortunate to have been granted a second life and be able to live it in this oft-critiqued but not-yet-duplicated cradle of freedom.

The key, though, is commitment. That's the real business model that succeeds; grinding every night and every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

For me, the longest hour and the longest night I ever lived was in Tiananmen Square, in 1989, when the student movement tried to demand democracy of our nation's unyielding governors. My role was to lead a hunger strike for seven days and nights. We tried to be peaceful. We tried to be rational. But the end result was tanks, bloodshed and the massacre of innocent people.

Here, at least, power in Washington can change hands without bloodshed, according to the expressed will of the people. And economic revolution, even a minor one such as that fostered by Jenzabar, occurs without bloodshed. Even in the dot-com bust, no one had to die.

But the creation of a company is no less stressful than running a hunger strike in Tiananmen Square.

There is no "longest night." Rather, each week is longer than the last. If you succeed, it only intensifies.

Never forget: Money is your master. When you are down to your last dime and you have a $250,000 payroll to meet, venture capitalists are your best friends. But make no mistake: Their job is to get the last blood out of you. Even if no artery gets cut.

But I am happy, because I am the leader of another student movement. I have been given the chance, by fate, to help the youth of America prepare for the next century.

Sure, our business folks can prove to our customers-the institutions of higher learning-that there is a big return on investing in our technology, from the ability to recruit more students to saving on admission procedures.

Yet what every customer is really doing is putting in place the servers, networks and software that will guarantee students everywhere the ability to think independently, to associate with people of like or dislike mind, to organize and to elect-every day-how to best pursue their vision of a better future for themselves and the countries in which they ultimately live.

As we found in China, even the most determined authority can't put technology back in the bottle.

Which makes its dispersion the greatest revolution any student, faculty member or administrator who cares about freedom of thought can be involved in.

-Written with Tom Steinert-Threlkeld

Ling Chai was commander in chief of the Tiananmen Student Organization. She attended Beijing Normal University in China, then Princeton University and the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration in the United States. She now is president, chief operating officer and cofounder of Jenzabar, an educational software company based in Cambridge, Mass.

http://www.jenzabar.net/partners/partners.html
http://www.jenzabar.net/partners/solutionpartners.html
http://www.jenzabar.net/partners/channelpartners.html
商业合作伙伴列表里面也没有中国的公司。

http://www.jenzabar.net/about_jbar/office_locations.html

Our Office Locations

JENZABAR - Boston (Directions)
800 Boylston Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02199

(617) 492-9099

JENZABAR - Cincinnati (Directions)
424 Wards Corner Road, 2nd Floor
Loveland, OH 45140
(800) 247-3622

JENZABAR - Harrisonburg (Directions)
1401 Technology Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
(800) 999-2637

JENZABAR - Knoxville (Directions)
308 North Peters Road
Suite 120
Knoxville, TN 37922
(865) 523-9506

http://www.jenzabar.net/about_jbar/history.html

Our History

Twenty years ago, a number of visionary founders started companies dedicated to serving higher education by providing Enterprise Resource Planning solutions. They automated back-office operations and enhanced Admissions, Registration, Enrollment, Human Resources, Finance, and Institutional Advancement. Together, their installed base grew to more than 700 campuses-20% of all higher education institutions in the United States.

To meet the new, emerging needs of higher education, this group of progressive companies joined forces with Jenzabar.com, the leading Internet portal and e-learning company. This resulted in the creation of the largest enterprise software and solutions company dedicated solely to higher education: Jenzabar, Inc., the only company that offers a complete range of best-in-class front-end and back-end integrated product solutions for higher education.

JENZABAR.COM (Jenzabar - Cambridge)
Jenzabar was founded in 1998 in Cambridge, MA. The Jenzabar higher education portal, in use on many campuses across the country, provides a virtual online community for university professors, students, and administrators. In addition to the portal, Jenzabar's Internet software includes course management tools that encourage faculty members to develop and publish course materials online. The system also allows professors to communicate more efficiently and promote interactive discussions among students. Jenzabar provides a campus intranet for administrative functions and is integrated with CARS, Quodata, CMDS, and Campus America administrative software.

CAMPUS AMERICA (Jenzabar - Knoxville)
Campus America was founded in 1977 as a provider of administrative software for colleges and universities. The company offers seamlessly integrated technology and applications, feature-rich software designs, state-of-the-art training programs, and thorough customer service support. Campus America partnered with industry leaders such as Compaq to provide exceptional technology products like Compaq Digital Products and Services.

CARS INFORMATION SYSTEMS (Jenzabar - Cincinnati)
CARS was founded in 1984 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to provide administrative software solutions solely for higher education. CARS was a pioneer in a number of software technologies, including real-time systems, open systems, relational databases, and client/server applications. CARS' product, the CARS Solution, is now one of Jenzabar's flagship products. It includes integrated software solutions and computer systems built upon performance-based technology, including a Java-based, Web/graphical user interface in a client/server environment. The CARS Solution is an enterprise administrative suite comprised of student, financial, human resources, institutional advancement, information management, and support services for rapid implementation.

CMDS (Jenzabar - Harrisonburg)
CMDS (Computer Management and Development Services, Inc.) was founded in 1980 to meet the administrative software needs of the higher education community. The company provided software covering the entire spectrum of higher education administration, including admissions, registration, alumni/development and business offices with Web-enabled functionality. CMDS supports two software lines: Elite, a client/server administrative solution and Jenzabar's other flagship product, provides integration and access among clients (Windows & NT), multiple hardware platforms and databases (Microsoft SQL, Oracle, and Sybase). TEAMS2000 and TEAMS Ultima are administrative software products for IBM's AS/400 mainframe system.

QUODATA (Jenzabar - Cambridge)
Quodata was founded in 1971 to help administrators at small to mid-sized colleges and universities manage their institutions better. Quodata's network software family consists of seven major modules: admissions, financial aid, billing, student information, financial reporting, human resources, and advancement. The underlying architecture is a state-of the-art object and component foundation based on SQL Server and uses industry-standard tools such as PowerBuilder, Crystal Reports, and Microsoft's Visual InterDev for Web access.

http://www.jenzabar.net/careers/careers.html
Looking to be part of the Best and the Brightest?

Class of the best and the brightest – this is the meaning of Jenzabar translated from founder Ling Chai’s native Mandarin Chinese. And this is at the heart of our company. Our people are the best and the brightest, dedicated to delivering the finest enterprise software solutions to colleges and universities across the United States and the world.

We are currently seeking talented, dynamic, fun, smart, dedicated individuals to join our team. Are you ready to embark on the Jenzabar adventure? Check out our current opportunities, culture, benefits, professional growth, and life outside of work.

"What sculpture is to a block of marble,
education is to the soul."

- Joseph Addison

wanghx

Jun 5, 2008, 11:45:49 AM6/5/08
to salon-...@googlegroups.com, lih...@googlegroups.com
Internet 泡沫之后,公司陷入危机,收购的4个小公司的高官纷纷启诉讼。公司被
指责贿赂大学校长,不实的自吹广告。柴玲被指责在自己的简历中吹嘘自己的学生
领袖历史,
并且不希望记者报道公司的诉讼危机。公司说,诉讼最后以起诉方撤诉解决,并非
由赔偿的庭外和解。其中一位起诉者给公司发了道歉信。

http://www.tsquare.tv/film/american_dream.html

News Accounts: Chai Ling and Jenzabar, Inc.

Much of the press attention given to Jenzabar focuses on Chai Ling’s
role in the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests, and how that experience has
informed her new role in leading an internet company. The following are
excerpts from a few articles that reported certain concerns third
parties expressed with respect to Chai Ling and Jenzabar.

For example, a 1999 Boston Globe article details a dispute between
Jenzabar and the Harvard Business School over a claim on Jenzabar's
website that "its 'core application' was 'developed by the technology
leaders who also developed the award-winning Harvard Business School
intranet system.'"

That's quite a stretch, business school officials say.

'It's a collection of half-truths that ultimately portray something
false and mislead the public,' a business school source said.

… A Jenzabar spokesman said the company acted promptly to correct any
misimpressions, but business school officials said it was not until a
few weeks ago - nearly two months after Harvard lawyers objected - that
the questioned claims were removed from the company's Web site.

[Source: Harvard Wars with Firm over Web Site, The Boston Globe, 25 July
1999, James Bandler.]

Another Boston area school had a similar complaint about Jenzabar:

…Bernard Gleason, associate vice-president for information technology at
Boston College, says he is irked that both Jenzabar and MascotNetwork
have claimed ties to his institution, and that Jenzabar appears to be
taking credit for technological innovations at the college, in which it
played no role.

'If they're this out of control in their marketing,' he says, he can't
help wondering how well they police matters such as their privacy policy.

[Source: Colleges Get Free Web Pages, but With a Catch: Advertising, The
Chronicle of Higher Education, Sept. 3, 1999, Goldie Blumenstyk.]

Jenzabar was the focus of another article in The Chronicle of Higher
Education:

Jenzabar, a company that sells software for higher education, gave $300
cash cards to college presidents attending a dinner the company
sponsored last month in San Diego. Although the company described the
gifts as nothing unusual, some observers say it is uncommon and
unethical for college presidents to accept such gifts.

Jenzabar invited 45 presidents to the January 5 dinner. All of them lead
colleges that are Jenzabar clients…. Michael Zastrocky, vice president
for academic strategies at Gartner Inc., a technology-consulting firm,
said it was highly unusual for college presidents to accept gifts worth
hundreds of dollars from technology companies.

College presidents, he said, 'would put themselves in jeopardy' by
accepting such gifts. 'You're on display at all times' as a college
president, he said. 'You'd be in real trouble.'

[Source: College Presidents Received $300 Gifts for Attending a Software
Vendor's Dinner, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Feb. 13, 2004,
Andrea Foster.]

The Boston Globe's business columnist, Steve Bailey, writes in a column
from 2003:

Is there a trend here? In 1989 Ling Chai, an unknown 23-year-old
graduate student in Beijing, became an international heroine overnight
as the most visible leader of the Chinese student rebellion in Tiananmen
Square. She was the face of the dissidents, the 'chief commander,' a
small, frail young woman in a T-shirt and jeans who rallied the students
and taunted the soldiers as the world held its breath and watched the
historic standoff unfold day after day on television.

Over the years the image of Chai as heroine has become decidedly mixed
as onetime allies have blamed her and other student leaders for the
deadly end to the protests, painting them as power-hungry and willing to
sacrifice others for their cause. The harshly critical documentary The
Gate of Heavenly Peace captured that emerging view best in an interview
that Chai gave in a Beijing hotel room: 'My students keep asking me,
'What should we do next? What can we accomplish?' I feel so sad, because
how can I tell them that we actually are hoping for bloodshed, the
moment when the government is ready to butcher the people brazenly. Only
when the square is awash in blood will the people of China open their eyes.'

Bailey also describes some of the problems Jenzabar was facing at the time:

In its press releases Jenzabar, a private company, boasts of record
financial results. '2002 was a break-out year for Jenzabar and 2003 is
shaping up to be the most successful in the history of our company,'
Maginn said in a release just this week.

Here is what Jenzabar does not want you to know. While the company was
polishing its image in public, its chief financial backer was trying to
oust Chai and Maginn and saying that Jenzabar had defaulted on its loan
agreements. That backer, Pegasus Partners, a Greenwich, Conn., private
equity firm, was also pushing to sell Jenzabar, according to court
documents.

A lawsuit filed in March is the latest in a series of suits against the
company… Jenzabar has denied the claims and resolved some of the disputes.

This Globe column was written in 2003, and goes on to state that “Five
former executives have sued Jenzabar…” However, in two letters sent to
the Long Bow Group in February and March 2007, the Assistant General
Counsel of Jenzabar informed us that they "are aware of four suits
brought by former executives, not five,” and, "Only one suit, brought by
Joseph DiLorenzo, the former CFO of Jenzabar, accused Ms. Chai and Mr.
Maginn of illegal actions. Mr. DiLorenzo later voluntarily dropped his
claims against Ms. Chai and Mr. Maginn without receiving any settlement
payments to do so, admitted that he had no basis for them, and issued
[an] apology." Furthermore, Jenzabar states the Globe article "falsely
and misleadingly suggests that [three other proceedings involving former
executives] had merit."

In his letter to the Long Bow Group, Jenzabar’s Assistant General
Counsel also included a copy of Mr. DiLorenzo’s letter of apology, which
was dated September 22, 2006. In the interests of full disclosure, we
are including copies of these letters and our responses in their
entirety. We are unaware of any retractions or corrections printed by
The Boston Globe with regard to their reporting about Jenzabar’s legal
problems.

The Globe column concludes:

After Tiananmen, Chai detractors said her hero's image did not square
with her hardball tactics. Now her critics are saying much the same
again, this time about her corporate life. Meanwhile, Chai continues to
sell her story of the Tiananmen heroine-turned-American-entrepreneur.
'Today, I am living the American dream,' Chai told Parade magazine in June.
With Ling Chai, distinguishing the dream from the reality has always
been the hardest part of all."

[Source: "American Dream," The Boston Globe, Aug. 8, 2003, Steve Bailey.]

A Forbes.com article reported:

Chai Ling has spent years trying to cash in on her heroism at Tiananmen
Square. But so far her web company has brought in little money and lots
of lousy karma.

Chai Ling would like total control over her biography. In her version,
she risks her life leading student protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989,
escapes China stowed in a crate and is twice nominated for the Nobel
Peace Prize. Then she moves to America and marries a millionaire venture
capitalist who bankrolls her promising internet startup. Alas, the
market crashes before the company can go public, and it is unfairly
besieged by lawsuits from former executives….

"You're not going to write about that, are you?" Chai says, when asked
about the suits. "Do you really have to mention those things?" Chai's
seeming naiveté is a little out of character. She has frequently scored
points in the press by recalling her glory days as onetime
"commander-in-chief" of rebel students in Beijing.

With respect to Jenzabar’s launch in 1998 by Chai Ling, Forbes reported:

Jenzabar's mission was to develop internet-based portals that college
students could use to register for courses and check homework
assignments. By early 2000 a few colleges were testing its software, but
nobody was paying for it.

So Maginn, 46, and Chai, 36, who were engaged in 1997 and married in
2001, cooked up a new plan in which Jenzabar would gain customers by
acquiring them. In April 2000 Maginn quit his job at Bain and joined
Jenzabar, raising $40 million from investors, including his own New
Media Investors. Jenzabar bought four barely profitable companies that
made administrative software for colleges. Yoking them to Jenzabar's
portal, Chai reckoned she could offer a single vehicle to handle all
aspects of campus life.

As the market for internet companies crashed, managers of the four
acquired outfits bickered over which products would survive. "We had a
lot of upheaval," says Chai.

... Where does this leave Jenzabar? Depends on whom you ask. "It's been
a little chaotic," says Chai. "But 2002 was our turnaround year. In 2003
we have our house in order and will start to grow and take market
share." Perhaps. But nabbing new clients isn't easy in the $2.7 billion
market for higher-ed software, which is growing at only 2.7% annually,
reports IDC.

Recently Maginn and Chai hired an investment bank, a move that prompted
rumors of a sale. "If a giant company were to come along and make a
great offer," he says, "we would consider it." In 2000, Chai says,
investment bankers told her that Jenzabar could be worth $1 billion in a
public offering. In those days a good story could go a long way. Today
it might get you just enough money to pay off your debts.

[Source: "Great Story, Bad Business," Forbes.com, Feb. 17, 2003, by
Daniel Lyons.]

This web page is the sole responsibility of the Long Bow Group, and is
in no way affiliated with or sponsored by Jenzabar, Inc.

wanghx

Jun 5, 2008, 11:48:26 AM6/5/08
to salon-...@googlegroups.com, lih...@googlegroups.com
http://www.tsquare.tv/film/jenzabar.html

The information on these pages about Chai Ling and Jenzabar, the
software company she runs with her husband, Robert Maginn, contains
excerpts from and links to articles about Jenzabar in /The Boston
Globe/, /Forbes/, /Business Week/, and other publications, and is
intended to provide the reader with additional information about Chai
Ling, one of the most well-known and controversial figures from the
Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. These web pages are the sole
responsibility of the Long Bow Group, and are in no way affiliated with

or sponsored by Jenzabar, Inc.

*About Chai Ling and Jenzabar, Inc.*

In 1998, Chai Ling founded a software company, Jenzabar
<http://www.jenzabar.net/>, of which she is President and COO; her
husband, Robert Maginn, is the CEO. Jenzabar has received considerable
publicity in part because of Chai Ling's role in the 1989 Tiananmen
Square protests.

Jenzabar itself, according to /The Chronicle of Higher Education/,
"plays up the past celebrity of its founder, Chai Ling. ...Company press
releases, which invariably note that Ms. Chai was 'twice nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize,' breathlessly describe Jenzabar as a tool to
'create another kind of revolution,' fueled by communications
technology." (Sept. 3, 1999, "Colleges Get Free Web Pages, but With a
Catch: Advertising <http://chronicle.com/weekly/v46/i02/02a04501.htm>")

Chai Ling has also actively cultivated her public image and openly
expressed her desire to use her connection to Tiananmen Square to
promote her current activities. As stated in the /South China Morning
Post/ ("Seizing the Day All for Herself", written on the 10th
anniversary of the June 4 massacre):

Ms Chai's publicist has been reminding the world that Ms Chai's job
prior to being smuggled out of China to the United States was
"leading thousands of students against a communist government more
ruthless than Microsoft".

She also suggested that June 4 would be a good opportunity to write
about Ms Chai's Internet start-up which runs a site called
jenzabar.com.

"Ling is a dynamic personality who has found many similarities
between running a revolution and an Internet start up," journalists
have been told. "Ling used the techniques and charisma of a true
revolutionary to impress the CEOs of Reebok, WebTV/Microsoft and
Bain to back Jenzabar."

As a public persona, Chai Ling has attracted attention from multiple
media sources. A number of stories published about Jenzabar begin with
the saga of the student leader from China who became a successful
entrepreneur in America. For example, a /Business Week/ (June 23, 1999)
headline reads, "Chai Ling: From Tiananmen Leader to Netrepreneur."
/Computerworld /(May 6, 1999) leads with: "Tiananmen activist turns
software entrepreneur." Or as /Forbes/ (May 10, 1999) puts it, "From
Starting a Revolution to Starting a Company."

Other articles from the international press
<http://www.tsquare.tv/film/american_dream.html> present different
perspectives on Chai Ling and her relationship with the 1989 Tiananmen
Square protests. See, for example, /American Dream
<http://www.tsquare.tv/film/american_dream.html#ad>/ (/The Boston
Globe/, Aug. 8, 2003, byline: Steve Bailey), which concludes:

After Tiananmen, Chai detractors said her hero's image did not
square with her hardball tactics. Now her critics are saying much
the same again, this time about her corporate life. Meanwhile, Chai
continues to sell her story of the Tiananmen
heroine-turned-American-entrepreneur. "Today, I am living the
American dream," Chai told Parade magazine in June.

With Ling Chai, distinguishing the dream from the reality has always
been the hardest part of all.

Daniel Lyons, in Forbes.com (Great Story, Bad Business
<http://www.tsquare.tv/film/american_dream.html#gs>, Forbes.com, Feb.
17, 2003, byline: Daniel Lyons), notes:

Chai Ling would like total control over her biography. In her
version, she risks her life leading student protests in Tiananmen
Square in 1989, escapes China stowed in a crate and is twice
nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Then she moves to America and
marries a millionaire venture capitalist who bankrolls her promising
internet startup. Alas, the market crashes before the company can go
public, and it is unfairly besieged by lawsuits from former

executives....

"You're not going to write about that, are you?" Chai says, when
asked about the suits. "Do you really have to mention those things?"
Chai's seeming naiveté is a little out of character. She has
frequently scored points in the press by recalling her glory days as
onetime 'commander-in-chief' of rebel students in Beijing.

Lyons may have been referring to an article written about Jenzabar by
Chai Ling herself, which is headlined: "Revolution Has Its Price
<http://www.jenzabar.net/news/pressroom/baseline.html>: In Tiananmen

Square, she was a student leader who stood up to tanks. In the U.S., she
became a software executive who had to deal with venture capitalists.

Guess which one was the tougher opponent." In the article, Chai Ling
notes that "the creation of a company is no less stressful than running

a hunger strike in Tiananmen Square."

In other contexts, Chai Ling has appeared more reluctant to discuss her
role in the 1989 events. In "Anatomy of a Massacre
<http://www.tsquare.tv/film/voice.html#VVCL>" (/Village Voice/, June 4,
1996), Richard Woodward made multiple attempts to interview Chai Ling
for a cover story about /The Gate of Heavenly Peace/ and her role in the
student protest movement. "At first she was 'too busy.' When I offered
to call at another time, she said with fatigue, 'It's over. I don't want
to get involved.'"

Similarly, in his book *Bad Elements: Chinese Rebels from Los Angeles to
Beijing*, Ian Buruma describes a meeting he had with Chai Ling in 1999:

We met for a cappuccino in a nice outdoor café in Cambridge,
Massachusetts… Chai handed me a folder with promotional material. It
contained references to her career at the Harvard Business School
and her "leadership skills" on Tiananmen Square. She spoke to me
about her plans to liberate China via the Internet. She joked that
she wanted to be rich enough to buy China, so she could "fix it."
But although she was not shy to use her celebrity to promote her
business, she was oddly reluctant to discuss the past. When I asked
her to go over some of the events in 1989, she asked why I wanted to
know "about all that old stuff, all that garbage." What was needed
was to "find some space and build a beautiful new life." What was
wanted was "closure" for Tiananmen. I felt the chilly presence of
Henry Ford's ghost hovering over our cappuccinos in that nice
outdoor café. From being an icon of history, Chai had moved into a
world where all history is bunk.

[Ian Buruma, *Bad Elements: Chinese Rebels from Los Angeles to
Beijing* (New York: Random House, 2001), pp. 9-10.]

Because of her status as a public figure, future media coverage will
continue to throw light on Chai Ling for those who are interested in
following her story.

wanghx

Jun 5, 2008, 11:51:30 AM6/5/08
to salon-...@googlegroups.com, lih...@googlegroups.com
"Big companies that want to do business with China don't want to support
me," she claims, without identifying the corporations. "They don't want
to jeopardize their business interests in China."

http://www.businessweek.com/ebiz/9906/em0623.htm
Business Week e.biz

Movers & Shakers By Paul Judge June 23, 1999

Chai Ling: From Tiananmen Leader to Netrepreneur

Now CEO of Jenzabar, she draws on her smarts, tenacity, and harrowing
experiences to run a startup aimed at Net-bred students

Successful entrepreneurs invariably have some personal experience they
call on to keep their team going when the struggle to launch a company
seems overwhelming. For Chai Ling, the 33-year-old CEO of Jenzabar.com,
the touchstone was spending four days and five nights inside of a
shipping crate being smuggled out of China in the spring of 1990.

Wanted by the Chinese authorities for her role as a student leader of
the Tiananmen Square uprising in 1989, Chai faced imprisonment or even
death if she and a companion were discovered on the desperate journey to
Hong Kong and freedom. "There was no way to know where we were, whether
we were succeeding or not," recalls Chai, who spent 10 months on the run
before climbing inside the crate and being loaded into the hold of a
boat. "That taught me faith. In a startup company, like Jenzabar, there
will always be ups and downs. Faith keeps me going."

POLITICAL GIFTS. In the decade since she rallied thousands of students
massed in Tiananmen Square to press their demands for democracy, Chai
has journeyed through Princeton University, Bain & Co. as a consultant,
and Harvard business school. Along the way she mastered English and used
her political gifts to make connections in Corporate America. She hopes
eventually to return to China, but for now, she is plunging into life as
an Internet entrepreneur. Given her searing and profound experiences as
a university student in China, it's not surprising that Jenzabar.com is
aimed at college students, faculty, and administrators.

Jenzabar's product is a portal for universities that's built around an
integrated calendar that draws course information, campus events, news,
and entertainment into a personalized package. Students can log on from
their dorm room laptops, the library, or student center kiosks and check
E-mail, assignments, and lecture schedules -- even look up the first
name of someone in a virtual "facebook" of students.

She's giving the software to students for free in hopes they'll demand
that their colleges adopt it

Chai has done her homework, and sees a major opportunity for targeting
the highly desirable 18-to-24-year-old U.S. student population with ads
and E-commerce. But first she has to build a community, and that
requires getting hundreds of colleges to sign up for Jenzabar.
Administration and faculty have a built-in predisposition, Chai
believes, for a standard platform they can use to organize coursework
and communications with students and the rest of the campus community.
But it's the students themselves, Chai believes, who will make Jenzabar
a success. She's giving the software to students for free in hopes
they'll like it so much they'll demand that their schools adopt it.
"Today's 13-to 19-year-olds are really the first Internet generation,"
she says. They are going to demand a good Internet offering when they
get to college."

To get as close as possible to her market, Chai has recruited college
students from Harvard University, Yale University, and Swarthmore
College to intern at Jenzabar this summer. The interns are critiquing
the Jenzabar design and adding new features, like a Web-page builder.
Many of them already conduct their lives on the Web, buying plane
tickets, textbooks, and groceries via the Net, finding summer roommates
through online listings and scoring cheap futons through electronic
auctions. To get there, however, wired students usually bypass the
university Web site, which typically serves as a tool for admissions and
alumni relations. "The amount being spent on people being educated
through campus Web sites is very limited," Chai says.

BANNER ADS. Jenzabar provides a standard template for schools that don't
know where to start or lack the resources to build their own intranet.
To seed the market, Chai has offered to give away Jenzabar free to the
first 50 institutions that ask for it. So far, five have taken her up on
it, including St. Michael's College in Colchester, Vt., Dakota Wesleyan
University in Mitchell, S.D., and Atlantic Union College in South
Lancaster, Mass. Chai figures if she can get 20% of the 750,000 faculty
in the U.S. to adopt Jenzabar, she can claim victory.

Chai's business model anticipates four sources of revenue: corporate
sponsorships, with high-profile placement of logos; subscription fees of
$20 a year for each student, faculty member, and administrator; banner
ads that would appear on the Jenzabar pages; and a percentage of
E-commerce revenues from merchants that reach students through Jenzabar.
Jenzabar is still very much a startup, with no revenues and 20 full-time
employees. But its energetic founder, famously pictured holding a
megaphone and exhorting demonstrators just hours before the tanks
rolled, has managed to secure financing from Paul Fireman, CEO of Reebok
International, WebTV founder Steve Perlman, and several Bain partners.
Now, Chai hopes to raise $20 million in venture capital this summer.

Her past usually helps, but "big companies that want to do business with
China don't want to support me"

Like any good entrepreneur, Chai has used every advantage she can
muster, including her illustrious past, to get Jenzabar off the ground.
It hasn't always helped. "Big companies that want to do business with
China don't want to support me," she claims, without identifying the
corporations. "They don't want to jeopardize their business interests in
China." But more often than not, her reputation has been a boost. She
met Fireman at a reception in support of human rights in China and
pitched her company. "I'm sure it makes a big difference," says Fireman.
"When you call someone and send them a resume that says you've been
nominated twice for the Nobel peace prize, it tends to get their
attention." But Fireman, who holds about 25% of Jenzabar along with a
group of investors, says Chai's idea is sound and her business instincts
are sharp. "As long as she is the persevering type, I'm interested in
putting money in," he says. "Tiananmen Square and those experiences she
had, they demonstrate how intense a human being she is."

There's little doubt that Chai was born to lead. Among her recent hires
is Joseph D. Malone, who recently completed his second term as treasurer
of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Malone has signed on as director
of sales, marketing, and business development, and will try to use his
contacts to build Jenzabar's customer base among colleges and
universities, including big state institutions. Other Jenzabar employees
took big pay cuts to join the company. More than once, Chai says, she
has reminded her team of those dark days and nights inside the shipping
crate. "When it feels like the worst moment, like we are going to fail,
I tell them, 'It won't always be like this,'" she says. It's hard not to
believe her.

Judge covers technology from Boston

wanghx

Jun 5, 2008, 12:23:26 PM6/5/08
to salon-...@googlegroups.com, lih...@googlegroups.com
如果哪未能找到 Jenzabar 或者柴玲回国,或者在中共国有商业伙伴的消息,请提供。

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~care/newsletters/HCC_Newsletter_2006_03.pdf
2006 年柴玲的公司为哈佛大学的 China Care 社会实习项目提供资助。

http://www.amhistpress.com/chronicle_jenzabar.pdf

CNN 1999 年有一篇访谈,提到回国问题。

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9905/06/chinaisp.idg/
Tiananmen activist turns software entrepreneur

May 6, 1999
Web posted at: 8:53 a.m. EDT (1253 GMT)

Graphic

by Ann Harrison

(IDG) -- Software entrepreneur Chai Ling helped lead the student protest
at Tiananmen Square in 1989, then lived in hiding for a year before
escaping to Hong Kong -- nailed inside a wooden crate. Nine years, two
Nobel Peace Prize nominations and one Harvard Business School degree
later, she's trying to return to China, with an e-commerce venture
designed to create a student community online, out of reach of the tanks.

Jenzabar.com, her company in Cambridge, Mass., has developed a Web-based
intranet application that aggregates information for college students
and professors. It organizes information on class schedules, news feeds
and other information chosen by students and posts it on a
password-protected, personal Web site that also provides e-mail to the
remote user.

The tool is being used by the Boston College Carroll School of
Management. Ling is trying to partner with Internet service providers to
offer content aggregation and hosting services to Chinese universities.

Q: Do you plan to go back to China?

A: I am looking forward to going back to China in the next four or five
years when this generation of leaders leaves. The next generation of
leaders will be much more open-minded. Back in 1989, when [President]
Deng [Xiaoping] made the decision [to send troops into Tiananmen
Square], it was such a tragedy because he did not understand profound
changes in society.

Our generation had nothing to do with the Red Guard or the
counterrevolution, but he didn't understand that. There was no free flow
of information to let him know and appreciate the fruit and success of
recent reform. That created tragedy in China. We hope that will be the
last tragedy.

We hope that with information flow, they will be less insecure about
losing control, and individuals will have more power and freedom.

Q: What can you tell us about doing business in China?

A: The biggest thing is that you have to negotiate with the whole
institution, the whole system. They don't have a rule of law, so it is
very difficult to do business in China and feel that property rights and
intellectual property rights are protected. Every year, Microsoft loses
a billion dollars because of software piracy.

The Chinese government likes to force people to do joint ventures with
China and the Chinese Communist Party. I've heard horror stories about
this kind of practice. The Chinese Communist Party takes all the money
and sets up competing factories in the exact same business where they
can take that technology and the patents and have all the control.

There is risk to doing business in China. But there is an effort to push
the Chinese government to open up the system and do two simple things:
free the media and create a rule of law. [That way, Chinese markets will
be more attractive to] foreign companies.

Q: Why did you found Jenzabar.com?

A: I felt there was no real network to support college students. Before,
there were geographic, decision-making and bureaucratic barriers. Now,
the Internet offers a chance to build this global network.
Intercollegial relationships can be [global] relationships.

Q: But the Chinese government controls students' access to the Internet?

A: Oh yes. Right now, they are monitoring all the access to the World
Wide Web and who's using it to do what. But the Internet is much more
powerful, and they should give up and let the information flow.

Q: Do you think the more opportunities people have to communicate
online, the more difficult it will be for Chinese authorities to monitor
information?

A: Yes. Absolutely. If 1.2 billion people are all online, they are
probably going to have a hard time doing that. But it still costs a
couple of dollars to access [Internet provider] services on an hourly
basis and for most Chinese, their average monthly salary is $15 to $20.

So that is a substantial amount of [their] income to get access to
information, and they are being monitored. So we want to give away tools
and find an [Internet provider] that will work with us to bring
effective access.

Q: Many people in the U.S. first access the Internet at universities. Do
you think that will be the case in China?

A: Yes, that is exactly why we wanted to provide tools for the college
market. The kids are well-educated; they are Web-savvy; they are more
used to using the Internet as a new medium; they trust it more. I want
to provide applications and channels to help them organize their
education and help them build community and build friendships and stay
connected even when they leave college.

Whatever they want to achieve, they will be part of the larger network
and stay there for a lifetime. That's our commitment to users.

2008 年 4 月,路透社的一篇关于该公司的报道:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS165585+07-Apr-2008+BW20080407
''Dean of Futurists'' to Explore Future of Technology in Jenzabar Annual
Meeting...
Mon Apr 7, 2008 12:58pm EDT

DaVinci Institute Executive Director Thomas Frey to Address
Jenzabar Users; Record-Breaking Attendance Expected Again This Year
BOSTON--(Business Wire)--
Jenzabar(R), Inc., a leading provider of software, services and
strategies for higher education, announced today that the futurist
speaker known as "the Dean of Futurists" will discuss the future of
technology at the Jenzabar Annual Meeting (JAM), May 28 - 31, 2008, in
Nashville, TN. Thomas Frey, author, award-winning IBM engineer, and
executive director of the DaVinci Institute, will address Jenzabar
users on the topic of utilizing innovative technology.

JAM has attracted larger audiences each year, and with more than
1,100 executives, IT professionals, and end-users from academic and
administrative offices across the campus already registered, the 2008
conference is on track for record-breaking attendance. A must-attend
event for Jenzabar users, JAM offers unmatched opportunities for
exchanging ideas and information, making connections with the Jenzabar
team, and networking with colleagues from across the nation and around
the globe. The annual conference offers more than 350 sessions
designed to help Jenzabar client institutions make the most of their
partnership with the technology provider, plus a pre-conference
program that includes in-depth training and the JAM Executive Program
for presidents and cabinet-level executives.

Thomas Frey is the founder of the DaVinci Institute, which began
as a non-profit futurist think tank and later emerged as a center of
visionary thought that attracts national and international business
leaders. The Institute has achieved wide recognition for its
accomplishments, having written and published numerous papers and
coordinated over 100 events across the country. Prior to heading the
DaVinci Institute, Frey worked at IBM for over 15 years as an engineer
and a designer, where he received over 270 awards. Dubbed "the Dean of
Futurists" by the Denver Post and Seattle Post Intelligencer, Frey has
also served as a columnist for the Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News,
and Boulder County Business Report. He is a contributing writer for
The Futurist Magazine and editor of the Impact Lab, an online
technology blog that Popular Science hailed as one of the "top five
science blogs in the known universe."

Jenzabar Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Maginn,
Jr., notes that the company has long been committed to helping
customers prepare for the future with forward-looking technology
solutions, such as Jenzabar's Internet Campus Solution and Jenzabar
NTS, an administrative system designed for continuing education and
other non-traditional academic programs.

"The partnership between Jenzabar and our customers relies on the
trust that we will continue to stay one step ahead of the market and
anticipate their future technology needs," Maginn says. "We provide
our clients with today's most innovative technologies and will
continue to do so in the future."

JAM 2008 will take place at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and
Convention Center in Nashville. Registration is now open; for more
information, Jenzabar customers can visit
www.jenzabar.net/JAM2008/JAM08.html.

About Jenzabar, Inc.

Jenzabar, Inc. is a leading provider of enterprise software and
services developed exclusively for higher education. With more than 35
years of combined experience offering technology solutions to colleges
and universities, Jenzabar is the trusted partner of choice to more
than 700 campuses worldwide, including private liberal arts, state,
and community colleges and business, medical, law and other graduate
schools. Jenzabar is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, with
regional offices located across the United States. For further
information, please visit www.jenzabar.net.

Jenzabar, Jenzabar.com, i3 and Total Campus Management are
trademarks or registered trademarks of Jenzabar, Inc. All other
company/product names and service marks may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective companies.

Jenzabar, Inc.
DeeDee Rudenstein, 617-492-9099 ext. 365
DeeDee.R...@jenzabar.net

Copyright Business Wire 2008

2008 年 6 月路透社的报道:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS150402+02-Jun-2008+PRN20080602
The Jenzabar Foundation Announces Award Competition to Support
Student-Led Humanitarian...
Mon Jun 2, 2008 10:53am EDT