New lift project

Roch Delsalle

Jul 13, 2012, 6:35:07 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi !,

We have just moved a website to Lift / MongoDB :

It was previously hosted on Google App Engine using the Play! Framework.
Just to compare : for the exact same website, Lift does it with 6K lines of code and Play! does it with 24K.

Best,

Roch

Everson Alves da Silva

Jul 13, 2012, 8:29:26 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I assume the new Lift website is not running on App Engine because of MongoDb. Have you tried running with Lift and App engine?

Roch Delsalle

Jul 13, 2012, 9:03:38 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
No, I haven't tried yet, the reason why I picked lift was because I was looking for a nice way out of App Engine.

Apparently some people have managed to do it (with some limitations) :

Code: http://github.com/lift

Diego Medina

Jul 13, 2012, 10:05:00 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! congrats on the migration to Lift.

Diego

--
Diego Medina
Lift/Scala Developer

Diego Medina

Jul 13, 2012, 10:05:50 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Everson Alves da Silva
<khro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool. I assume the new Lift website is not running on App Engine because of
> MongoDb. Have you tried running with Lift and App engine?

Some of the things that don't work on app engine are cometactors and
LiftActors, because app engine does not let you start new threads.

Diego

> On Friday, July 13, 2012 7:35:07 AM UTC-3, Roch Delsalle wrote:
>>
>> Hi !,
>>
>> We have just moved a website to Lift / MongoDB :
>>
>> http://www.fashionbase.com
>>
>> It was previously hosted on Google App Engine using the Play! Framework.
>> Just to compare : for the exact same website, Lift does it with 6K lines
>> of code and Play! does it with 24K.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Roch

Chenguang He

Jul 13, 2012, 10:13:03 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Very Cool Website!

Chenguang He

Alexej Bondarenko

Jul 13, 2012, 11:01:45 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roch,

which version of the Play! Framework have you used before?

Thanks,
Alexej

Roch Delsalle

Jul 13, 2012, 11:16:27 AM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexej,

I was using Play! 1.2.3.

Roch

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jul 13, 2012, 3:50:15 PM7/13/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Roch Delsalle <rdel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi !,

We have just moved a website to Lift / MongoDB :

It was previously hosted on Google App Engine using the Play! Framework.

Where is it hosted now? There are free PaaS's that give you a full environment (threading, etc.), like CloudBees. (To some extent it may be thanks to AppEngine that there are so many --- it seems to have sparked some healthy competition.)

Just to compare : for the exact same website, Lift does it with 6K lines of code and Play! does it with 24K.

Curious, what are the main "line savers" in Lift as opposed to Play?

Best,

Roch

Roch Delsalle

Jul 14, 2012, 7:19:02 AM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Hi !
Where is it hosted now? There are free PaaS's that give you a full environment (threading, etc.), like CloudBees. (To some extent it may be thanks to AppEngine that there are so many --- it seems to have sparked some healthy competition.)

It's hosted on cloudbees with a MongoHQ Addon (the pictures are hosted on GridFS : more than a gigabyte of data for now).
Cloudbees is great however the pricing isn't very progressive for Lift users, If I understood well as soon as we want to scale to more than one instance we need to pay for the 100$ monthly plan.
Curious, what are the main "line savers" in Lift as opposed to Play?
- Scala it's a lot better than Java for complex things
for instance this is a lot quicker than what I could do in Java : items(_.itemb.value).mapValues(_.size).toList sortWith {_._2 > _._2}

- MongoDB + Rogue allows me to do quite a lot, which mean less code or almost no code to process my resultsets.

Richard Dallaway

Jul 14, 2012, 2:02:43 PM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 14 Jul 2012, at 12:19, Roch Delsalle <rdel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cloudbees is great however the pricing isn't very progressive for Lift users, If I understood well as soon as we want to scale to more than one instance we need to pay for the 100$ monthly plan.

A multi-instance Lift app we have on CloudBees cost us something like US$55 last month. But it'll depend on the size of the instances. Get in touch with them if you have questions about costs.

Richard

Roch Delsalle

Jul 14, 2012, 2:22:26 PM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yes but the sticky session feature required by Lift is only available with the 100$ plan ?

Richard Dallaway

Jul 14, 2012, 2:58:06 PM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com
We use that too, and SSL. Maybe they've changed their plans, but that's not the costs we see.

Roch Delsalle

Jul 14, 2012, 4:24:16 PM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Cool maybe I was looking at the wrong pricing (jenkins).

--
Roch Delsalle

Olek Swirski

Jul 14, 2012, 8:26:23 PM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Why not use vps? I mean so far I was using VPS at bettervps.net, Is
there some inherent drawback to it compared to service like cloudbees ?

Diego Medina

Jul 14, 2012, 11:34:10 PM7/14/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Olek Swirski <oleks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not use vps? I mean so far I was using VPS at bettervps.net, Is there
> some inherent drawback to it compared to service like cloudbees ?

I think the reason people go with cloudbees, etc is that they don't
have to manage the server itself, but if you are confortable with
maintenance, there is no drawback on using a vps.

Regards,

Diego

> On 14/07/12 22:24, Roch Delsalle wrote:
>>
>> Cool maybe I was looking at the wrong pricing (jenkins).
>>

> --
> Lift, the simply functional web framework: http://liftweb.net
> Code: http://github.com/lift
> Discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
> Stuck? Help us help you:
> https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code

Olek Swirski

Jul 15, 2012, 12:17:59 AM7/15/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Diego, thx for clarifying this. I haven't used cloudbees so far,
so I wasn't sure. setting up vps is a bit tedious though, but then
comes the freedom to do and install whatever I want. for now
I will stay with my vps then.

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jul 15, 2012, 4:01:04 AM7/15/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Roch Delsalle <rdel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi !
Where is it hosted now? There are free PaaS's that give you a full environment (threading, etc.), like CloudBees. (To some extent it may be thanks to AppEngine that there are so many --- it seems to have sparked some healthy competition.)

It's hosted on cloudbees with a MongoHQ Addon (the pictures are hosted on GridFS : more than a gigabyte of data for now).
Cloudbees is great however the pricing isn't very progressive for Lift users, If I understood well as soon as we want to scale to more than one instance we need to pay for the 100$ monthly plan.
Curious, what are the main "line savers" in Lift as opposed to Play?
- Scala it's a lot better than Java for complex things
for instance this is a lot quicker than what I could do in Java : items(_.itemb.value).mapValues(_.size).toList sortWith {_._2 > _._2}

Ah, so you didn't bother with Play and Scala? I mistook it for a comparison of Play 2 and Lift. :)

Roch Delsalle

Jul 15, 2012, 7:21:27 AM7/15/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Because I had to re-code everything so I decided to try something else. (I also believe css transforms are just the way to go to split front-end dev's work and back-end dev).

For me the only downside of lift so far is the i18n thing, but I'm using the native2ascii deps to sort that out.

David Pollak

Jul 15, 2012, 11:23:09 AM7/15/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Very cool site!

RE: i18n... are you using the XML stuff with doesn't require the native2ascii stuff?
Telegram, Simply Beautiful CMS https://telegr.am

Diego Medina

Jul 15, 2012, 4:13:19 PM7/15/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
see
http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Localization
for what David was talking about.

Regards,

Diego

Roch Delsalle

Jul 15, 2012, 5:06:27 PM7/15/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I'm going to switch to XML then