PHP Port/Rewrite

Corey Ward

Jul 18, 2009, 4:22:15 PM7/18/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
I'm thinking this is a much better job for PHP unless you're
unfamiliar with it or in an environment that is using RoR already. It
can update the output without having to recompile or get to a
terminal, and it's a lot more likely to work on default shared hosting
that most people that'll really be getting usage out of this are
running.

I've been considering putting together a more simplified "PHP-based
variable assisted CSS" script for a while, but with the additional
inspiration and ideas coming from LESS, it's that much more worth it.

Thoughts?

cloudhead

Jul 18, 2009, 7:57:06 PM7/18/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
It's only a better job for PHP if you're already using PHP. LESS can
be invoked through a ruby script and compiled on the fly, there is no
inherent difference between a ruby & a php implementation, apart from
the language itself.

I am however totally for a php implementation, and will support it
best I can.

Leaf Corcoran's gotten pretty far actually, you can check out his
preview here:

http://leafo.net/lessphp/

Nothing's released yet, but it looks like it's well underway.

efikim

Jul 19, 2009, 7:32:25 AM7/19/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
Interesting!
I'd prefer a PHP implementation too, since I use that anyway and have
everything set up. Setting up RoR for the first time purely for this
is a little daunting.

cloudhead

Jul 19, 2009, 2:25:43 PM7/19/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
You don't need RoR though, you just need ruby.

Dmitry

Jul 21, 2009, 12:31:27 PM7/21/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
As cloudhead said, you don't need RoR to use LESS, just Ruby. The LESS
compiler runs in Ruby and will compile your .less files to .css as you
work on them so can be used irrespectively of what the site you're
using for actually runs on. Additionally, I wouldn't compile .less
code to CSS code live on a site due to performance reasons -- much
better to run off precompiled CSS.

Karpah

Jul 23, 2009, 1:45:44 AM7/23/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
I'd like a PHP implementation, but installing Ruby on my Ubuntu box to
use less was a piece of cake anyhoo.

sudo apt-get install rubygems
sudo gem install less

cloudhead

Jul 23, 2009, 1:52:50 PM7/23/09
to LESS - Leaner CSS
LESSPHP, by Leafo, is out now, you guys should go grab a copy:

http://leafo.net/lessphp/