IMPORTANT: End of Project

andrew cooke

Jun 2, 2012, 2:10:35 PM6/2/12
to Lepl Mailing List

I am making something official that has been obvious in practice for a while
now: the LEPL project is now dead.

This means:

- There will be no more major releases

- I will only fix small issues

- I will feel less obligation to respond to requests for support

- I will place some kind fo notice to this effect on the main site and update
the PyPI entry too.

I'm sorry about this - I hope that it does not cause anyone any problems. The
main reason is that I am increasingly frustrated with the complexity of the
code. It's no fun to work on and hard to extend. Also, it turned out to be
less useful than I thought and less popular than I hoped.

There's also a somewhat rambling reflection on complexity at
http://www.acooke.org/cute/IAmNotACle0.html

Andrew

Neal Becker

Jun 4, 2012, 8:25:46 AM6/4/12
to le...@googlegroups.com
Any suggestion on what might be a good choice for a replacement, say for a new project (not relying on legacy lepl compat).  I've been thinking peg was interesting.

Andrew

andrew cooke

Jun 4, 2012, 8:42:20 AM6/4/12
to le...@googlegroups.com

i haven't really kept up with what's happening.

for most people i recommend pyparsing because it has a bigger community, or
antlr for larger projects because it's faster while also being popular.

but for a good/interesting embedded parser, these days i have no idea, sorry.

andrew

Jasper St. Pierre

Jun 4, 2012, 3:31:34 PM6/4/12
to le...@googlegroups.com