chapter subtitle in thesis

rupai

Jan 19, 2011, 5:59:24 AM1/19/11
to LaTeX Users Group
Hi all,
I want to add subtitle to some of the chapters of my
thesis. I would appreciate if you kindly share your ideas to add a
subtitle below the title of a chapter.

Regards,
rupai

Bongani Ngwenya

Jan 19, 2011, 6:45:57 AM1/19/11
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
You add \section{NAME} below your \chapter{}, as many as you'd like.

Bongani Ngwenya
Cell: 0027 84 429 5399
Office: 0027 12 420 3114
Fax: 0027 86 517 6293
bongani...@gmail.com
mab...@yahoo.co.uk

Peter Flynn

Jan 19, 2011, 10:35:41 AM1/19/11
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Bongani Ngwenya <bongani...@gmail.com> wrote:
You add \section{NAME} below your \chapter{}, as many as you'd like.

Certainly possible, but it may have unwanted side-effects. If you settle on a convention like the colon in a title, you can add a \Chapter command (capital C) which splits off the implicit subtitle and reformats it in the title, keeping it out of the ToC:

\documentclass{book}
\makeatletter
\newcommand{\Chapter}[1]{\split@chapter#1:}
\def\split@chapter#1:#2:{\chapter[#1]{#1\\[1ex]\huge#2}}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\Chapter{Adding Subtitles: An Extra \LaTeX\ Interpretation to Separate
a Subtitle After a Colon}
Stuff
\end{document}

///Peter

Peter Flynn

Jan 19, 2011, 10:37:12 AM1/19/11
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Bongani Ngwenya <bongani...@gmail.com> wrote:
You add \section{NAME} below your \chapter{}, as many as you'd like.

Certainly possible, but it may have unwanted side-effects. If you settle on a convention like the colon in a title, you can add a \Chapter command (capital C) which splits off the implicit subtitle and reformats it in the title, keeping it out of the ToC:

\documentclass{book}

Sorry, it's better to use report for a thesis than book, because it lets you use an abstract. The rest of it still works.

///Peter

Bruno Le Floch

Jan 20, 2011, 6:17:21 AM1/20/11
to LaTeX Users Group
> Certainly possible, but it may have unwanted side-effects. If you settle on
> a convention like the colon in a title, you can add a \Chapter command
> (capital C) which splits off the implicit subtitle and reformats it in the
> title, keeping it out of the ToC:
>
> \documentclass{report}
> \makeatletter
> \newcommand{\Chapter}[1]{\split@chapter#1:}
> \def\split@chapter#1:#2:{\chapter[#1]{#1\\[1ex]\huge#2}}
> \makeatother
> \begin{document}
> \tableofcontents
> \Chapter{Adding Subtitles: An Extra \LaTeX\ Interpretation to Separate
> a Subtitle After a Colon}
> Stuff
> \end{document}

Why not simply use the syntax \Chapter{Title}{Subtitle}? This can be
obtained by replacing Peter's definition by

\newcommand{\Chapter}[2]{\chapter[#1]{#1\\[1ex]\huge#2}}

A full MWE heavily based on his:

\documentclass{report}
\newcommand{\Chapter}[2]{\chapter[#1]{#1\\[1ex]\huge#2}}
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\Chapter{Adding Subtitles}{An Extra \LaTeX\ Interpretation to Separate
a Subtitle using two arguments}
Stuff
\end{document}

///Bruno

rupai

Jan 23, 2011, 1:18:05 PM1/23/11
to LaTeX Users Group
hi,
Thank you all for the suggestions. Both way, it worked.

regards,
rupai