How to extract Google Maps

Gonen

Sep 18, 2007, 7:50:22 AM9/18/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started
I hope this is the right place to post...

In Google Map, I created a map and saved it into My Maps.

I used the KML option to save the Map into KML file - the file saved
as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
<Document>
<name>France</name>
<description><![CDATA[]]></description>
<NetworkLink>
<Url>
<name>France</name>
<href>http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?
ie=UTF8&amp;hl=en&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=117109785000783890896.00000113111c2440018cf&amp;output=kml</
href>
</Url>
</NetworkLink>
</Document>
</kml>

my question:
How can I extract the placemarks in My Map into a standard KML file
that can be read by a program like IGO POI Explore ? or extract it to
a CSV file etc. ? As far as I see, the saved KML file does not contain
this information.

My goal is to create a map in Google map, Save it to MY Maps and when
finished, extract its placemarks into my navigation software like IGO.

Any help will be appriciated.

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Sep 18, 2007, 8:43:03 AM9/18/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started
Here's as good a place as any really, considering you talking about
KML files :)

If you look carefully at that file, you will hopefully notice it
contains a <NetworkLink> tag, this means it loads its 'content' from a
remote url. Further inspection should lead to the href tag which is
the location of the actual kml file. So visiting that url will
download a kml file with content.
Note if you are copy/pasting directly that & are encoded as &amp; in
KML (as its XML) so you will need to convert them to get a real url.

So in your example looking at:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117109785000783890896.00000113111c2440018cf&output=kml

Another tip is to right click on the KML icon in MyMaps, and select
Copy Shortcut (or similar)
paste into the address bar, then look for the "output=nl" and change
it to "output=kml"
(that simply requests the KML itself, rather than a NetworkLink to the
content)

Gonen

Sep 19, 2007, 2:26:09 AM9/19/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started
perfect solution for me. !!!

another issue I have is:

when I let Google Maps to display list of points saved as KML file via
http, it displayes the placemarks OK, but does not allow the use of
its features (like calculate route between points, Search nearby etc.)
- even when I save it to MY Maps, it is categorized as "created by
external..." and no nice features are available.

Is there a way to load external placemarks into Google Maps so that
they will be "treated" like native placemarks ?

thanks for reply !!!

On Sep 18, 2:43 pm, barryhunter [KML Guru] wrote:
> Here's as good a place as any really, considering you talking about
> KML files :)
>
> If you look carefully at that file, you will hopefully notice it
> contains a <NetworkLink> tag, this means it loads its 'content' from a
> remote url. Further inspection should lead to the href tag which is
> the location of the actual kml file. So visiting that url will
> download a kml file with content.
> Note if you are copy/pasting directly that & are encoded as &amp; in
> KML (as its XML) so you will need to convert them to get a real url.
>

> So in your example looking at:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1171097850007...

> Another tip is to right click on the KML icon in MyMaps, and select
> Copy Shortcut (or similar)
> paste into the address bar, then look for the "output=nl" and change
> it to "output=kml"
> (that simply requests the KML itself, rather than a NetworkLink to the
> content)
>
> On Sep 18, 12:50 pm, Gonen wrote:
>

> > I hope this is the right place to post...
>
> > In Google Map, I created a map and saved it into My Maps.
>
> > I used the KML option to save the Map into KML file - the file saved
> > as:
>
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
> > <Document>
> > <name>France</name>
> > <description><![CDATA[]]></description>
> > <NetworkLink>
> > <Url>
> > <name>France</name>
> > <href>http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?

> > ie=UTF8&amp;hl=en&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=117109785000783890896.00000113111c2440­018cf&amp;output=kml</

> > href>
> > </Url>
> > </NetworkLink>
> > </Document>
> > </kml>
>
> > my question:
> > How can I extract the placemarks in My Map into a standard KML file
> > that can be read by a program like IGO POI Explore ? or extract it to
> > a CSV file etc. ? As far as I see, the saved KML file does not contain
> > this information.
>
> > My goal is to create a map in Google map, Save it to MY Maps and when
> > finished, extract its placemarks into my navigation software like IGO.
>

> > Any help will be appriciated.- Hide quoted text -

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Sep 19, 2007, 6:17:03 AM9/19/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started
I dont think there is a way yet, but it might well come at some
point.

You can however use Google Earth as an editor :) - You have to
download the file, then upload it to a server somewhere so you can
load into maps though. (a tip might be to create a network link to the
original file on your server, and add that to My Maps, then Google
Maps should update automatically if you reupload the file - in exactly
the same way that they attempt with creating you a network link to the
actual content, you just doing it Earth->Maps, rather than Maps>Earth
like they do... )

pete

Oct 10, 2007, 10:56:28 AM10/10/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started

On Sep 18, 7:43 am, barryhunter [KML Guru] wrote:d=1171097850007...

> Another tip is to right click on the KML icon in MyMaps, and select
> Copy Shortcut (or similar)
> paste into the address bar, then look for the "output=nl" and change
> it to "output=kml"
> (that simply requests the KML itself, rather than a NetworkLink to the
> content)

I have an customized route with multiple way-points created by
dragging
and dropping the blue line.

I capture the URL of the map with "Link to this page" and append
"output=kml"
to the URL, but this gives me a KML file with only the route between
my start
point and the first way point.

Is there a way to get the entire route in the KML file?

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Oct 10, 2007, 10:59:42 AM10/10/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started
Not as far as I know, as the KML output is persumably only intended
for Google Earth, and GE doesnt yet support multiple destinations like
maps, there is no incentive for them to add it.

pete

Oct 10, 2007, 11:32:41 AM10/10/07

On Oct 10, 9:59 am, barryhunter [KML Guru] wrote:
> Not as far as I know, as the KML output is persumably only intended
> for Google Earth, and GE doesnt yet support multiple destinations like
> maps, there is no incentive for them to add it.

Google Earth does support multiple Placemarks. What I am looking for
is a Placemark at each intervening way-point with the LineString
showing the entire route

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Oct 10, 2007, 2:09:52 PM10/10/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started

Yes it does support multiple Placemarks, but it doesnt support
createing route with multiple destinations. (or multiple intermediate
points if you prefer - as you note created as you drag the line).

As I say as Google Earth doesnt support creating these types of
routes, there is no reason for Google Maps to be able to output them
(at least to us mere mortals)

what you might be able to do is create a Google Maps API based map
that outputs KML, but also you might run into legal issues.

pete

Oct 11, 2007, 10:54:23 AM10/11/07

On Oct 10, 1:09 pm, barryhunter [KML Guru] wrote:

> As I say as Google Earth doesnt support creating these types of
> routes, there is no reason for Google Maps to be able to output them
> (at least to us mere mortals)

Okay, Google Maps won't output multiple destination routes as KML.
What I'm actually interested in is the LineString data generated by
Google Maps for the route I've defined. Is there any way to access
that data, KML or otherwise?

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Oct 11, 2007, 11:19:20 AM10/11/07
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started

See last sentence of previous answer.