[KFADEN] Timing Overlap with Homeless Youth Speakout

Rebecca Crane

Jan 25, 2012, 4:54:35 AM1/25/12
to KinkForAll
One last thing before I forget!

Robin from SWOP (Sex Workers Outreach Project), who's planning to present at KFADEN, contacted me because she just realized that KFADEN partially overlaps with the Homeless Youth Speakout on police harassment, brutality and other issues of importance to homeless youth - which is from 2-4pm at Skyline HS in Longmont. I'd really like to brainstorm ways that these two equally awesome events can support each other rather than competing for attendance. Does that seem possible? Maybe we could do something creative with remote access? Thoughts?

Thanks,
- R

maymay

Feb 1, 2012, 10:21:33 PM2/1/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

Hmm. I'm trying to think of ways to support SWOP through KFADEN. Some questions:

* Is Longmont really far from the KFADEN venue? (Google Maps seems to think so, but I just wanna confirm with someone who knows the area.)[0]
* Is the SWOP event planning to have any *Web* presence, ala Twitter hashtag or similar like the way KFADEN has started using the #KFADEN hashtag?[1]
* Are there people who are familiar with the SWOP event who can make it to some of KFADEN earlier in the day? Are there people who are registered for KFADEN who are interested in going to the SWOP event for the second half of the day instead of spending the full day at KFADEN. (I'd be *interested* but I'm not going to volunteer for this.)

I hesitate to do too much with "remote" access because this has gotten me very close to some very serious legal trouble in the past.[2]

Also, obviously, if Robin from SWOP has any literature/postcards/flyers etc. for the Homeless Youth Speakout, we should totally get some from them so we can put them out at KFADEN.

More collaboration ideas welcomed, of course. Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

P.S. I changed the subject line slightly to conform to the mailing list conventions. These are documented on the wiki.[3]

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Auraria+Campus,+Denver,+CO&daddr=longmont&hl=en&sll=39.742186,-105.004607&sspn=0.026432,0.035062&geocode=Fbt_XgIds8i9-SH4siHEwBrx5A%3BFSfnZAIdmEW8-SlJM8zVCPlrhzE1J6Pz7qF9wQ&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&t=m&z=11&start=0
[1] https://twitter.com/search/%23KFADEN
[2] https://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/4020d397e88241ed

Rebecca Crane

Feb 2, 2012, 1:13:34 PM2/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com, Robin
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM, maymay <bitethea...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:54 AM, Rebecca Crane wrote:

> One last thing before I forget!
>
> Robin from SWOP (Sex Workers Outreach Project), who's planning to present at KFADEN, contacted me because she just realized that KFADEN partially overlaps with the Homeless Youth Speakout on police harassment, brutality and other issues of importance to homeless youth - which is from 2-4pm at Skyline HS in Longmont. I'd really like to brainstorm ways that these two equally awesome events can support each other rather than competing for attendance. Does that seem possible? Maybe we could do something creative with remote access? Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> - R

Hmm. I'm trying to think of ways to support SWOP through KFADEN. Some questions:

* Is Longmont really far from the KFADEN venue? (Google Maps seems to think so, but I just wanna confirm with someone who knows the area.)[0]

Unfortunately, Longmont is pretty far from Denver - maybe a 45min drive and not great public transport.

[...]

I'm not sure about the answers to the rest of these questions, so I'm cc:ing Robin on this so that she can brainstorm with us. :)

- R

Visit and contribute to the KinkForAll wiki at
http://wiki.KinkForAll.org

Rebecca Crane

Feb 2, 2012, 2:20:36 PM2/2/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com, Robin
Oh! I'm sorry. I was wrong It's not happening at Skyline HS in Longmont. It's happening at Skyline Park in Denver, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the Tivoli!

There's a Facebook invite here: http://www.facebook.com/events/336911473010083

This makes WAY more possible to collaborate and for people who want to do both!

maymay

Feb 2, 2012, 5:03:01 PM2/2/12
On Feb 2, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Rebecca Crane wrote:

> Oh! I'm sorry. I was wrong It's not happening at Skyline HS in Longmont. It's happening at Skyline Park in Denver, which is only about a 15 minute walk from the Tivoli!
>
> There's a Facebook invite here: http://www.facebook.com/events/336911473010083
>
> This makes WAY more possible to collaborate and for people who want to do both!

Thanks, Rebecca! I've RSVP'ed "maybe" to that event just so I can find it again and possibly signal-boost it later. :)

I'm still not sure what, exactly, we can do to cross-polinate, but I'll keep it on my mind.