[KinkForAll] KFADEN: T-Shirts!

Rebecca Crane

Feb 15, 2012, 12:28:55 AM2/15/12
to KinkForAll
Hey all!

So, because the Metro Feminist Alliance is awesome and their sponsorship means we get to use the space at the Tivoli for free, we have some money leftover from our fundraising drive. We've used a little bit of this for printing and might use a little more. But another idea is that we could use some of that money to get a few t-shirts printed with the KFA logo - for people to wear who are helping out as greeters or directing people to the event. This is particularly important at the Tivoli because it's a bit confusing trying to find the venue from the entrances. (If you've ever been to the building, you'll know what I mean!)

Check out the various t-shirt designs posted at: store.kinkforall.org. (Of course, you can also order your own. I'm totally gonna get one of the ringer ones.)

TL;DR: Is it cool if we use some of our leftover funding to order a few t-shirts for greeters to wear at KFADEN?

Thanks!
- R

RagingAmazon

Feb 15, 2012, 12:38:51 AM2/15/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think this is awesome.  Is it possible to sell t-shirts at the event as well?  (Is there a bulk discount?)

~Alisa

"'You know zat another term for an icongrapher would be 'photographer?'  From the old word Photus in Latation, vhich means--' 'To prance around like an idiot ordering everyone about as if you owened the place.'" ~ Pratchett; the Truth

- R

Visit and contribute to the KinkForAll wiki at
http://wiki.KinkForAll.org

Rebecca Crane

Feb 15, 2012, 12:45:50 AM2/15/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hm. I like the idea of making it easy for ppl to get t-shirts who want them. But my feeling is that, since we encourage other people not to sell stuff at the event itself, we shouldn't sell our own stuff either. Nobody involved with KinkForAll makes any money off of those sales, but it would still feel a little off to me. Looking at the page's FAQ, it doesn't look like there's any kind of bulk discount either. I think what we could do, if people ask, "Hey! Where'd you get that awesome t-shirt?" is give them a link to the website so they can order it themselves. Just my 2c, tho. :)

maymay

Feb 20, 2012, 4:46:07 AM2/20/12
to KinkForAll
Hey everyone,

So, hearing no objections after a week, I went ahead and used a
portion of the funds we raised for KinkForAll Denver to purchase a T-
shirts from the KinkForAll Store.[0] This email has info about the
order placed, general information about KinkForAll-shirt-wearing-
things, and then a breakdown of the financial position as of this
writing. Feel free to read, skim, or skip as you see fit.

KINKFORALL T-SHIRT ORDER PLACED:

I got 12 shirts in total, ranging in size from "XL" to "Medium." These
were purchased at the wholesale ("base") price each, i.e., there's
zero markup. Printfection shirts have historically been really good
quality, which makes them slightly more expensive than other print-on-
demand outlets, but my shirt has stood the test of time since 2009, so
I think it's worth it. :)

Since we're placing the order a little bit late, I had to spend some
extra money on two-day shipping, but hopefully that means we'll get
the shirts in time for KFADEN. If they don't arrive, we can always
give them out at the Damn Gurl fundraiser for KinkForAll Denver 2 on
Sunday, February 26th, or at future events after that. (And speaking
of, is there a Facebook event or similar that we can link to, so we
can start promoting that, too? I couldn't find one listed on Damn
Gurl's Facebook page.)[1]

SOME GENERIC STUFF ABOUT WEARING T-SHIRTS:

On Feb 14, 10:45 pm, Rebecca Crane <rebeccacr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm. I like the idea of making it easy for ppl to get t-shirts who want
> them. But my feeling is that, since we encourage other people not to sell
> stuff at the event itself, we shouldn't sell our own stuff either. Nobody
> involved with KinkForAll makes any money off of those sales, but it would
> still feel a little off to me. Looking at the page's FAQ, it doesn't look
> like there's any kind of bulk discount either. I think what we could do, if
> people ask, "Hey! Where'd you get that awesome t-shirt?" is give them a
> link to the website so they can order it themselves. Just my 2c, tho. :)

There *is* a bulk discount, but we don't have the funds to order
enough items to make any use of it. So, while one could theoretically
buy these items in bulk, *we* effectively can't, at least not this
time. So we didn't. But that's okay, because anyone who wants one can
just go get one themselves:

http://store.kinkforall.org.

If we get the shirts in time for KFADEN this Saturday, I propose we
distribute them on a first-come-first-served basis. I.e., whoever is
there at 10 AM (or earlier) when we start and wants to help out gets
given a shirt to wear, no questions asked. They can choose to wear it
or not, of course, since there's no practical distinction between
someone who's wearing a KinkForAll shirt and someone who's wearing any
other kind of outfit. That is, anyone who wants to be a greeter[2]
can, y'know, greet people of their own volition, and I hope many
people will do just that regardless of whether they have a KinkForAll
shirt on or not. :)

KINKFORALL DENVER FINANCES:

All of this information is also on the financial spreadsheet,[3] but I
figured it'd be useful to record it here, too.

The total cost I paid for the T-Shirts order came to $298.02,
including a special request by Rebecca for a Ringer T-Shirt, which I
fronted the money for and *isn't* coming out of the funding pool for
KFADEN. The Ringer was $21.99, bringing the total KFADEN funds spent
on t-shirts to $276.03. It breaks down as follows:

On Feb 20, 2012, at 2:15 AM, Printfection.com wrote:

> ======= ORDER DETAILS =========
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame Ringer T-Shirt
> Color: Heather Gray/Black
> Size: XL
> Qty: 1
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame Women's T-Shirt
> Color: Heather Gray
> Size: XL (16-18)
> Qty: 2
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame Women's T-Shirt
> Color: Heather Gray
> Size: Large (12-14)
> Qty: 2
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame Women's T-Shirt
> Color: Heather Gray
> Size: Medium (8-10)
> Qty: 2
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame T-Shirt
> Color: Sport Gray
> Size: XL
> Qty: 2
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame T-Shirt
> Color: Sport Gray
> Size: Large
> Qty: 2
>
> Product: Large Inverse Flame T-Shirt
> Color: Sport Gray
> Size: Medium
> Qty: 2
>
> Subtotal: $249.87
> Shipping: $36.41
> Tax: $11.74
> -----------------
> Total: $298.02

To date, we've raised a total of exactly $400 and spent a total of
$350.47, giving us $49.53 available to spend on incidentals or
whatever else unexpectedly comes up. We're still accepting donations,
[4] of course, but I can't think of another thing we need to spend
money on for this event, so any leftover funds will be saved for
KFADEN2. Yay for unbelievably low-cost conference (un)organizing! :D

Okay, it's almost 3 AM, and I'm exhausted, so I'm gonna go eat my
leftover burrito and then see if I can find something soft to sleep
on. :)

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://store.kinkforall.org/
[1] https://www.facebook.com/pages/DAMN-GURL/200044160024599?sk=events
[2] http://wiki.KinkForAll.org/Greeters
[3] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArYmNHuRadHbdHFQUVMtS0F6dkV5VXdDREp0d08zVUE
[4] http://tiny.cc/kfadendonate

Rebecca Crane

Feb 20, 2012, 4:59:05 AM2/20/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Yay! Shirts!

Thanks for taking care of that, and for taking the time to update everyone on the financial situation. I'm really happy that we've made such good use of our money and had some leftover for t-shirts. :)

Here's the link to the Damn Gurl KFA Fundraiser event: http://www.facebook.com/events/116163951843064/

I posted on the wall there some info about KFADEN. And there are already 30 guests attending. :)

Benjamin Kowalski

Feb 24, 2012, 4:02:56 PM2/24/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if this is a double-post; first time using Google Groups and I'm not sure if this went through the first time.

This seems like a great time to mention how much I appreciate having the KFADEN financials so accessible and clearly laid out in the shared spreadsheet.  If t-shirts are going to be our biggest single expenditure, I'd like to have a similar level of transparency around them.  For example, I haven't used Printfection before, so it's not clear to me why the price of a plain Gildan t-shirt with color printing is only $17 on the Printfection website (http://www.printfection.com/pricing/merchandise) but the price at the KinkForAll store, described as zero-markup, is $28.  To be clear, I don't think that $28 is an *unreasonable* price to pay for a custom-on-demand t-shirt; I'd just like to know exactly where that money is going.

Unrelatedly, Damn Gurl looks awesome!

In co-operation,
Ben

maymay

Feb 28, 2012, 2:34:54 AM2/28/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Benjamin Kowalski wrote:

Sorry if this is a double-post; first time using Google Groups and I'm not sure if this went through the first time.

Ben, it appears this message got caught in Google Group's spam filter. I apologize for the delay in getting this published here. I've whitelisted your email address so this doesn't happen in the future.

This seems like a great time to mention how much I appreciate having the KFADEN financials so accessible and clearly laid out in the shared spreadsheet.  If t-shirts are going to be our biggest single expenditure, I'd like to have a similar level of transparency around them.  For example, I haven't used Printfection before, so it's not clear to me why the price of a plain Gildan t-shirt with color printing is only $17 on the Printfection website (http://www.printfection.com/pricing/merchandise) but the price at the KinkForAll store, described as zero-markup, is $28.  To be clear, I don't think that $28 is an *unreasonable* price to pay for a custom-on-demand t-shirt; I'd just like to know exactly where that money is going.

This confused me, too, because the Printfection help materials don't do a very good job of explaining this difference.[0] There are two different pricing categories. One for "basic printing" and one for "premium printing." This is very confusing language that could be much less confusing if the literals were used. I.e., basic printing just means "shirts with light colored fabrics," and premium just means "shirts with dark colored fabrics."

My understanding is that the printing process for these types of fabric dyes are slightly different, and that Printfection's costs are higher to print on-demand on dark fabrics than light fabrics. Hence, they raise the prices for some. For example, if you go to the KinkForAll store and select a basic *white* T-Shirt, you get the "basic" printing price,[1] but switch it out to any dark-colored fabric, such as black, and you'll see the price jump.[2]

Here's an example screenshot of the back-end (management interface) that shows how the black T-Shirts are set up:

Note especially that there is a big, bold "0.00" in the "commission" column. That's where any markup would be listed. But, like the store says, like I've been saying, and contrary to some rumors I understand are circulating, there has never been any profit pocketed by me from KinkForAll merchandise purchases.

I hope this helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll see if I can't track down an answer for you. :)

Unrelatedly, Damn Gurl looks awesome!

In co-operation,
Ben

The Damn Gurl fundraiser was a lot of fun! :) I'm glad I got to be there,[3] and I'm glad I got to meet Isaac in person, there, as well. I only briefly got to say hi at KFADEN itself, just for a moment after his "Silence is Golden" session, which I'm disappointed I missed, and I understand Isaac left KFADEN shortly thereafter and apparently may not have been present at the start of the day, either. Or at least, I didn't see him during opening comms.[4]

Cheers,

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

Benjamin Kowalski

Feb 28, 2012, 2:19:22 PM2/28/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for going into more detail about this, maymay.  And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were, like, pocketing money from this while twirling your mustache.  I'd just like everyone to be able to make spending decisions that are as informed as possible next time, especially on a low budget like ours.
Ben

On Feb 28, 2012 12:35 AM, "maymay" <bitethea...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Benjamin Kowalski wrote:

> Sorry if this is a double-post; first time ...

Ben, it appears this message got caught in Google Group's spam filter. I apologize for the delay in getting this published here. I've whitelisted your email address so this doesn't happen in the future.

> This seems like a great time to mention how much I appreciate having the KFADEN financials so ac...

This confused me, too, because the Printfection help materials don't do a very good job of explaining this difference.[0] There are two different pricing categories. One for "basic printing" and one for "premium printing." This is very confusing language that could be much less confusing if the literals were used. I.e., basic printing just means "shirts with light colored fabrics," and premium just means "shirts with dark colored fabrics."

My understanding is that the printing process for these types of fabric dyes are slightly different, and that Printfection's costs are higher to print on-demand on dark fabrics than light fabrics. Hence, they raise the prices for some. For example, if you go to the KinkForAll store and select a basic *white* T-Shirt, you get the "basic" printing price,[1] but switch it out to any dark-colored fabric, such as black, and you'll see the price jump.[2]

Here's an example screenshot of the back-end (management interface) that shows how the black T-Shirts are set up:

Note especially that there is a big, bold "0.00" in the "commission" column. That's where any markup would be listed. But, like the store says, like I've been saying, and contrary to some rumors I understand are circulating, there has never been any profit pocketed by me from KinkForAll merchandise purchases.

I hope this helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll see if I can't track down an answer for you. :)

> Unrelatedly, Damn Gurl looks awesome!
>
> In co-operation,
> Ben

The Damn Gurl fundraiser was a lot of fun! :) I'm glad I got to be there,[3] and I'm glad I got to meet Isaac in person, there, as well. I only briefly got to say hi at KFADEN itself, just for a moment after his "Silence is Golden" session, which I'm disappointed I missed, and I understand Isaac left KFADEN shortly thereafter and apparently may not have been present at the start of the day, either. Or at least, I didn't see him during opening comms.[4]

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com

Community: http://Kin...

Groups "KinkForAll" group.

Screen shot 2012-02-28 at Feb 28, 12.26.05 AM.png

maymay

Feb 28, 2012, 2:47:33 PM2/28/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 28, 2012, at 12:19 PM, Benjamin Kowalski wrote:
> Thanks for going into more detail about this, maymay. And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were, like, pocketing money from this while twirling your mustache.

To clarify, I didn't think *you* were implying this, but I have heard that this hasn't just been implied, but outright stated as fact by some people who apparently dislike either me personally or who have concerns regarding KinkForAll. And I find those kinds of statements both insulting and very stupid to make when the facts proving the contrary are so readily available.

> I'd just like everyone to be able to make spending decisions that are as informed as possible next time, especially on a low budget like ours.
> Ben

Me too, and I hope that's obvious to as many people as are willing to acknowledge it now.