Just want to start helping out here.

gtiodea

Dec 18, 2010, 3:59:37 AM12/18/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone. I am ready to start helping out on any current projects. Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks,

Patrick

shaun

Dec 18, 2010, 8:00:03 AM12/18/10
to khanacademy-developers
Is websense and the DOE now blocking Khan Academy in NYC schools? I have a khan academy station in my classroom and my students couldn't get to the website. How do I download the website for use offline?
--
Shaun Errichiello
Salk School of Science

John Michelsen

Dec 18, 2010, 1:04:08 PM12/18/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shaun,

It tells you how on the download page:
http://www.khanacademy.org/downloads

John

Ankit Agrawal

Dec 18, 2010, 1:37:36 PM12/18/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com, khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Even I would like to help in any way possible.

Regards,
Ankit

Apostolis

Dec 18, 2010, 4:09:38 PM12/18/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
May I propose;
 If you master the use of the digitising tablet.
 Your help will be of great value if you start solving difficult exercises in maths,  physics and chemistry in languages other than english.

Apostolos Papageorgiou

John Michelsen

Dec 18, 2010, 7:59:15 PM12/18/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, Ankit,

If you'd like to help with development, take a look at the following pages:
https://sites.google.com/a/khanacademy.org/forge/for-developers/getting-started-with-the-code
https://sites.google.com/a/khanacademy.org/forge/for-developers/exercise-development

"Our current community focus: exercise module development

The absolute best way to help us hit our goal of covering all K-12
math exercises is to learn how to build an exercise module and start
expanding the boundaries of our knowledge map by adding new
exercises."

Let us know if anything is unclear,
John

Ben Kamens

Dec 18, 2010, 9:13:18 PM12/18/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Seconded @john!

Developing individual exercises is the best way to find self-contained, bite-size pieces of functionality for each contributor that will have an immediate and large impact on our users. If you want to get started and familiarize yourself with the code by fixing small existing bugs related to existing exercises (from our issue tracker), that would be a big help as well.

-Ben

shaun

Dec 20, 2010, 1:58:04 PM12/20/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
is there a version available for mac?

Joel Martinez

Dec 20, 2010, 2:50:14 PM12/20/10
to Khan Academy Developers
Khan academy is a web based app ... Thus there is no need for platform
specific development :)

On Dec 20, 1:58 pm, shaun <shaunteac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there a version available for mac?
>

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM, John Michelsen <jmich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Shaun,
>
> > It tells you how on the download page:
> >http://www.khanacademy.org/downloads
>
> > John
>
> > On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:00 AM, shaun <shaunteac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is websense and the DOE now blocking Khan Academy in NYC schools? I have
> > > khan academy station in my classroom and my students couldn't get to the
> > > website. How do I download the website for use offline?

> > > --
> > > Shaun Errichiello
> > > Salk School of Science
> > >212-614-8786
> > >http://sites.google.com/site/shaunteaches/
> > >http://shaunteaches.blogspot.com/
> > >http://www.youtube.com/user/shaunteaches
>
> --
> Shaun Errichiello
> Salk School of Science212-614-8786http://sites.google.com/site/shaunteaches/http://shaunteaches.blogspot.com/http://www.youtube.com/user/shaunteaches- Hide quoted text -

Joel Martinez

Dec 20, 2010, 2:52:05 PM12/20/10
to Khan Academy Developers
Actually, sorry ... Disregard my last response. Didn't see the quoted
text that you were responding to :-S
> > Salk School of Science212-614-8786http://sites.google.com/site/shaunteaches/http://shaunteaches.blogspo...Hide quoted text -

John Michelsen

Dec 20, 2010, 6:45:33 PM12/20/10
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shaun,

If you follow the instructions on this page to set up a dev server
https://sites.google.com/a/khanacademy.org/forge/for-developers/getting-started-with-the-code
they should work for mac as well.

I don't have a mac, so I'd need some help to make the windows package
cross-platform. It
includes some windows executables that would have to be switched out.

John

Dennis Daniels

Jan 2, 2011, 8:45:45 AM1/2/11
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com

The absolute best way to help us hit our goal of covering all K-12
math exercises is to learn how to build an exercise module and start
expanding the boundaries of our knowledge map by adding new
exercises."

I respectfully disagree. The fastest most efficient way to get more material on KA is to make it dead-dumb easy to post new questions and challenge other users to post answers.

The exercise module is cumbersome, code heavy and the people who will want to use it most are not programmers, they are teachers. And teachers will not want to wade through the mountain of code to get a simple exercise module working.

There are tens of thousands of latex ready math problems and spreadsheets full of questions ready to go for every conceiveable  topic. Let us look at how to access those before asking subject matter experts to learn java script  and HTML.

Jason Rosoff

Jan 2, 2011, 3:10:44 PM1/2/11
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Dennis,

Based on our examination of the current state of qbrary, the effort required to get a truly functional system for creating questions (with hints) is on the order of months of developer time. Furthermore, it produces a static library of questions. The current exercises are dynamically generated by the code which offers an almost infinite number of questions for each module that is developed.

In addition, one does *NOT* need to be a subject matter expert to develop these modules. They just need to know how to develop them. Most of the existing modules were not made by subject matter experts but are working very well at helping students practice (based on real-world classroom usage).

There are many databases of static questions out there, true. We do want to be able to take advantage of them at some point, but it is not our current top priority because there are a ton of other extremely high-value things we can be doing to improve students ability and desire to use the existing content and functionality on the site. It is, however, something that a developer who has the desire to contribute can do with limited direction from us. There are even existing video specs for some of the exercises that we need to get more complete coverage in mathematics (our current focus).

-Jason

Lead Designer, Khan Academy