How do you organize your notebooks?

Daniel B Lucraft

Jun 29, 2009, 5:24:06 AM6/29/09
to keepnote
Hi all,

just downloaded KeepNote and I'm impressed, and a little sad at how
long it's taken me to find it :)

I was wondering how everyone keeps their notebooks organized. Up till
now I have been keeping a single personal wiki for absolutely
everything, but now I'm switching to KeepNote I have the option of
creating multiple notebooks.

Do KeepNote users here tend to keep everything in one mammoth
notebook, or have multiple notebooks? What's the benefit of multiple
notebooks over top-level folders? Also how do you split it up, by
project, context or what?

Also are there any potential performance problems I should be aware of
if I use one notebook for everything? Will I run into speed issues
with 1000s of notes?

Finally, the obligatory feature request is....... syntax highlighting
for code blocks!

thanks again,

Dan

__________________________________
Daniel Benjamin Lucraft

danlucraft.com/blog
twitter.com/danlucraft
songkick.com/users/danlucraft

rasmus

Jun 29, 2009, 11:14:41 AM6/29/09
to keepnote
I happen to use one large notebook with over 1100 pages, but I know of
people who use many small notebooks. KeepNote uses partial loading,
that is it won't spend time reading notes that are collapsed (only
reads them as they are expanded) and the contents of notes are loaded
only when you view them. I am working to improve the read and write
times of large individual notes, and to add an indexing mechanism for
full text search. One of my frustrations with previous programs that
I used was the inability to manage large notebooks. So many of my UI
and I/O decisions have been motivated by that issue.

Matt

Daniel B Lucraft

Jun 30, 2009, 9:56:52 AM6/30/09
to keepnote
Great! I'll carry on using one big one then. Going to figure out the
file format now so I can import my current wiki.

I have another feature request: encrypted notes. And actually, this is
important enough to me that I'll write it myself if you can point me
in the right direction. Can I write a plugin that does this? Or should
I patch Keepnote itself?

thanks,
Dan

Brian Manton

Jun 30, 2009, 10:16:49 AM6/30/09
to keep...@googlegroups.com
And obviously the previously requested Tabs feature will make it even easier to organize. Same as having multiple notebooks on screen.

Matt Rasmussen

Jul 8, 2009, 8:17:55 AM7/8/09
to keep...@googlegroups.com
I have an early form of a plugin system. You can look at the code in
keepnote/extensions/backup_tar for an example. Any package within
keepnote/extensions is considered a plugin. Look in
keepnote/__init__.py for the code that loads plugins. Sorry for the
lack of documentation at this point, it is still in early development.

Matt

DonS

Jul 25, 2009, 2:04:16 PM7/25/09
to keepnote
Concerning encrypted notes, take a look at TrueCrypt.org. You could
password protect the folder containing the KeepNote notebooks. In
fact, since you can save notebooks almost anywhere, you could password
protect one notebook and not another.

- Don

stefan

Aug 7, 2009, 7:22:38 PM8/7/09
to keepnote
I have just tested the partial encryption of a NoteBook. I am using
encfs to encrypt a directory into a file. The encrypted file is kept
within the notebook directory structure and is thus also available for
synchronization. KeepNote will report the Folder as being empty as
long as encfs has not mounted the hidden file to a directory in that
Folder. Once that has happened you can use as usual. I can see an
overwrite problem if you were to create a note with the same name as
the usual mount point. However encfs will warn you and refuse to mount
(+overwrite) unless forced to.

Can anyone else see a problem with this?

PS: Obviously this is extendable to the whole notebook. Apologies if
this is a repetition of the previous post since I'm not versed in
truecrypt's use.