Video Fails in IE9 RC but not IE9 Beta

pagewil

Feb 16, 2011, 6:26:20 AM2/16/11
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
I am having a real hard time trying to support the new IE9 RC with
jPlayer.

Only with IE9 RC do I get the jplayer error message "The media URL
could not be loaded". I am using the m4v format with an "html,flash"
preference. This was working fine in IE9 Beta before the upgrade was
installed and now it seems to fail.

If anyone has any insight into why this may be I would love to hear
from you!

I have an html5 video test page hosted at:
http://thebeer.co/labs/video.html

This shows three videos. The first two are being sourced from two of
my domains on two separate hosting plans. The third is being sourced
from the jplayer website. If being viewed in IE9 RC you will see that
the first two videos do not load, whilst the third does! Even more
strangely, if you visit each video link URL directly you will find
that there is in fact a legitimate video at this location and that it
plays fine.

This is driving me mad. I can't identify whether my video problems are
my fault or IE9s. Could this be a new security feature on IE9? I must
reiterate that these videos are working fine in Chrome (whilst H.264
format is still supported anyway) and were working in the previous IE9
Beta release. Only IE9 RC is not playing the videos hosted at my
locations via a web page.

Help would be massively appreciated!

W.

pagewil

Feb 16, 2011, 5:27:42 PM2/16/11
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
[SOLVED]

Make sure you are explicitly stating video/mp4 as a MIME type in
your .htaccess. IE9 RC does not seem to be as accommodating as other
browsers. This fixed my problem!

Mark Panaghiston

Feb 23, 2011, 11:17:24 AM2/23/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Glad you got it sorted.

The MIME type is always important. If you were using OGV counterparts, then Firefox would refuse to play them without the correct mime type either. There are still more little quirks, where some browsers use the file extension if the mime type is nonsense, such as html/text.

In short, the mime type should be correct. Yet another part of the docs that I need to improve. I only cover the mp3 and ogg formats atm:
http://www.jplayer.org/latest/developer-guide/#jPlayer-server-mp3-ogg-response

Best regards,
Mark P.