Weirdo bug in Joomla 1.5.20

Jen Kramer

Aug 5, 2010, 9:31:17 AM8/5/10
to joom...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -- thought I'd share a story with you, in case you are experiencing similar weird things.

We are working on a site for a client. The site had been running Joomla 1.0. We migrated it several months ago and have been adding things to it since then.

When 1.5.20 came out, we upgraded the site (as the rest of you did for your sites, right???). We also upgraded all zillion other sites we maintain.

This particular site had something very bizarre happen after upgrade. Several of the menus disappeared all together, and if you edited a menu item, that menu item would disappear on save.

We tried everything but could not figure it out, so we asked Ken Crowder to take a look at it. Here's what he said:

"When you create a menu, it asks you for a "Unique Name". If you created a menu prior to 1.5.20 that contained a space and then upgrade that site to 1.5.20, any menus with spaces in them will no longer show on the back end. This is due to the fact that the filterinput class now accepts a type of "menutype" which requires all menutypes to be lowercase with hyphens instead of spaces. This works great unless they already have spaces. :)"

Sure enough, the site we'd migrated had several menus whose unique names had spaces in them. Normally, we do NOT put spaces in the unique name, so that explains why all of our other sites didn't have an issue!

If you have upgraded to 1.5.20 and you are seeing weird menu behavior, what we'd recommend is:

- downgrade to the previous version of your site
- change the "unique name" for your menus to something without spaces. To do that:

* go to Menu - Menu Manager
* Click the name of your menu in the list
* change the "unique name" of the menu to something without spaces

The module that displays the menu will update automatically.

- once you've changed your menu unique names, then upgrade to 1.5.20.

If you've already upgraded to 1.5.20 and you can't roll back to a previous version (either because you have no backup (shame shame!) or you upgraded some time ago and have made changes to your site since then), you'll need to make the change in the database directly.

Thanks!
Jen

Jen Kramer
4Web, Inc.
Creators of Highly Customized Joomla Websites
www.4webinc.com
802-257-2657
j...@4webinc.com
Twitter: jen4web

heidi.s...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2010, 10:17:25 AM8/5/10
to joom...@googlegroups.com
Hooray for Ken Crowder for finding that!

From: Jen Kramer <j...@4webinc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:31:17 -0400
Subject: [joomlaug] Weirdo bug in Joomla 1.5.20