Refactoring com_banners

Andrew Eddie

Nov 25, 2009, 7:31:02 AM11/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Christophe, we had a request on the forum to add start and stop
publishing times for banners. Do you think that's feasible for you to
add in as well?

Julio had a few ideas for simple improvements but I've forgotten what they were.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

2009/11/25 Christophe Demko <chd...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> To simplify testing, I've put my work on the chdemko branch.

Christophe Demko

Nov 25, 2009, 7:57:21 AM11/25/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I can do that easily (thanks to the Joomla MVC!!!). It will be on the
chdemko branch in a few hours.

On 25 nov, 13:31, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christophe, we had a request on the forum to add start and stop
> publishing times for banners.  Do you think that's feasible for you to
> add in as well?
>
> Julio had a few ideas for simple improvements but I've forgotten what they were.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Júlio Pontes

Nov 25, 2009, 3:31:35 PM11/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll discuss some points about SEO on the banner component.

Firstly, it's not that good to have a redirect from a URL like /banner/BANNER-NAME to the link that the banner should do directly. We must find a way to count the clicks without this redirect.

We should also let the user enable/disable the banners click/impressions counting. It would help in performance for sites with really high traffic.

For each banner, I would say that if we have all these configurations I'll write down here, we would do great on SEO and mensurability porpuse using Google Analytics:
a. Customizable Alt tag for the banner image file
b. Optional "NoFollow" attribute; Anyone that sell banner spaces would be grateful for this feature, so they can avoid any penalty from Google
c. Optional "Google Analytics Tracking" parameter. It would be very great for any banner that has external links (alo usable for internal ones), cause the site admin will have the click statistics on the respective Google Analytics account. The default javascript event for this feature on Google Analytics is: onClick="javascript: pageTracker._trackPageview('/VirtualDIR')"

Andrew Eddie

Nov 25, 2009, 5:10:13 PM11/25/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Good thoughts Júlio.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Christophe Demko

Nov 25, 2009, 8:12:05 PM11/25/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
@all, com_banners is ready for testing at svn repository
http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/chdemko

@julio, I did not yet implement your propositions. I'm waiting for
more community thinking.

On 25 nov, 23:10, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good thoughts Júlio.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>
> 2009/11/26 Júlio Pontes <juliopfn...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Ok, I'll discuss some points about SEO on the banner component.
>
> > Firstly, it's not that good to have a redirect from a URL like
> > /banner/BANNER-NAME to the link that the banner should do directly. We must
> > find a way to count the clicks without this redirect.
>
> > We should also let the user enable/disable the banners click/impressions
> > counting. It would help in performance for sites with really high traffic.
>
> > For each banner, I would say that if we have all these configurations I'll
> > write down here, we would do great on SEO and mensurability porpuse using
> > Google Analytics:
> > a. Customizable Alt tag for the banner image file
> > b. Optional "NoFollow" attribute; Anyone that sell banner spaces would be
> > grateful for this feature, so they can avoid any penalty from Google
> > c. Optional "Google Analytics Tracking" parameter. It would be very great
> > for any banner that has external links (alo usable for internal ones), cause
> > the site admin will have the click statistics on the respective Google
> > Analytics account. The default javascript event for this feature on Google
> > Analytics is: onClick="javascript:
> > pageTracker._trackPageview('/VirtualDIR')"
>
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I can do that easily (thanks to the Joomla MVC!!!). It will be on the
> >> chdemko branch in a few hours.

akede

Nov 25, 2009, 9:36:33 PM11/25/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I added a link to this discussion in the dev wiki: http://docs.joomla.org/Banner_component

Not sure if it make sense that Christophe adds the inuse to this item.

see : http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Dev_cookie_jar
>> If you would like to work on any of these items you are welcome to do so. Please add {{inuse}} and your name at the top of the page while you are
>> working on the item so we don't get unnecessary duplication of effort.

Alex

On 26 Nov., 02:12, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @all, com_banners is ready for testing at svn repositoryhttp://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/chdemko
>
> @julio, I did not yet implement your propositions. I'm waiting for
> more community thinking.
>
> On 25 nov, 23:10, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Good thoughts Júlio.
>
> > Regards,

Pete Jones

Nov 26, 2009, 5:05:47 AM11/26/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Would it be too much to request a simple banner rotation javascript
using Mootools? Just a simple cross-fade, but something to rotate
images on a page.

Pete Jones

Christophe Demko

Nov 26, 2009, 6:32:06 AM11/26/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
It's possible. I think it can be done in a third party module.

Pete Jones

Nov 26, 2009, 9:32:54 AM11/26/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Of course, but just as we get the option to use accordions etc, would
you contemplate putting this functionality in, or would you rather
leave it to the 3rd parties?

Christophe Demko

Nov 26, 2009, 10:20:37 AM11/26/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Julio, response inline

On 25 nov, 21:31, Júlio Pontes <juliopfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'll discuss some points about SEO on the banner component.
>
> Firstly, it's not that good to have a redirect from a URL like
> /banner/BANNER-NAME to the link that the banner should do directly. We must
> find a way to count the clicks without this redirect.
>
> We should also let the user enable/disable the banners click/impressions
> counting. It would help in performance for sites with really high traffic.
>
> For each banner, I would say that if we have all these configurations I'll
> write down here, we would do great on SEO and mensurability porpuse using
> Google Analytics:
> a. Customizable Alt tag for the banner image file

I agree the a customizable alt tag

> b. Optional "NoFollow" attribute; Anyone that sell banner spaces would be
> grateful for this feature, so they can avoid any penalty from Google

I think it can be done with the customcode

> c. Optional "Google Analytics Tracking" parameter. It would be very great
> for any banner that has external links (alo usable for internal ones), cause

Idem as for b.

> the site admin will have the click statistics on the respective Google
> Analytics account. The default javascript event for this feature on Google
> Analytics is: onClick="javascript: pageTracker._trackPageview('/VirtualDIR')
> "
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can do that easily (thanks to the Joomla MVC!!!). It will be on the
> > chdemko branch in a few hours.
>
> > On 25 nov, 13:31, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Christophe, we had a request on the forum to add start and stop
> > > publishing times for banners.  Do you think that's feasible for you to
> > > add in as well?
>
> > > Julio had a few ideas for simple improvements but I've forgotten what
> > they were.
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla

fititnt

Nov 26, 2009, 10:26:21 AM11/26/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I Agree with these ideas. They are good.

But in special with 'Google Analytics Tracking' that maybe will not
have so much people asking fo integrate on core, but IS a good idea.

Most parte of people just use Google Analytics to help on they sites,
so I do not see any problem in make it a bit more easy, if is just a
few lines more on code and noting more will stop to work with this.
> > > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla

Júlio Pontes

Nov 26, 2009, 10:39:29 AM11/26/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I think the best solution is use something like "advanced params" this will suport all features. I guess put this on params configurable is more easly for users with need, but dont know HTML code.

Christophe Demko

Nov 29, 2009, 3:41:15 PM11/29/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi to all,

I need some feedbacks on the refactoring of com_banners (svn checkout
http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/chdemko)

Ch.D

On 26 nov, 16:39, Júlio Pontes <juliopfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the best solution is use something like "advanced params" this will
> suport all features. I guess put this on params configurable is more easly
> for users with need, but dont know HTML code.

Andrew Eddie

Nov 29, 2009, 7:19:58 PM11/29/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christophe.

Looks really good overall. Couple of comments.

In the banners list model in the _getListQuery method there is this code:

require_once JPATH_COMPONENT . '/helpers/banners.php';
BannersHelper::updateReset();

I think I'd move that to the display method in the controller.

In the helper there are things used only by the frontend module. I
think that it is probably better that these go in a frontend helper.

Otherwise it looks ready to merge.

If you want to have a go at something else as well, the frontend
module layout doesn't allow for layout overrides (not easily anyway).
I have a published a change here:
http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/6-layouts/42-layout-override-adding-a-title-tag-to-the-banners-module.html

It probably needs an extra param or two as well.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Andrew Eddie

Nov 29, 2009, 7:37:36 PM11/29/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
One more thing Christophe. Would you update the diff_15_to_16.sql
file in the /installation/. Thanks.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Christophe Demko

Nov 30, 2009, 4:21:35 PM11/30/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi Andrew, reponse inline

On 30 nov, 01:19, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Christophe.
>
> Looks really good overall.  Couple of comments.
>
> In the banners list model in the _getListQuery method there is this code:
>
> require_once JPATH_COMPONENT . '/helpers/banners.php';
> BannersHelper::updateReset();
>
> I think I'd move that to the display method in the controller.

Done

> In the helper there are things used only by the frontend module.  I
> think that it is probably better that these go in a frontend helper.

Done

> Otherwise it looks ready to merge.

It lacks the 'tracks' view in admin (but it will be quite easy)

> If you want to have a go at something else as well, the frontend
> module layout doesn't allow for layout overrides (not easily anyway).
> I have a published a change here:http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/6-layouts/42-layout-override-addin...

Done

> It probably needs an extra param or two as well.

Which ones?

PS: enjoy your trip to NYC!!!

> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Christophe Demko

Nov 30, 2009, 4:22:15 PM11/30/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Argh!!!

It will be difficult, I think. I will work on this at the end

Ch.D

On 30 nov, 01:37, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One more thing Christophe.  Would you update the diff_15_to_16.sql
> file in the /installation/.  Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>
> 2009/11/30 Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi Christophe.
>
> > Looks really good overall.  Couple of comments.
>
> > In the banners list model in the _getListQuery method there is this code:
>
> > require_once JPATH_COMPONENT . '/helpers/banners.php';
> > BannersHelper::updateReset();
>
> > I think I'd move that to the display method in the controller.
>
> > In the helper there are things used only by the frontend module.  I
> > think that it is probably better that these go in a frontend helper.
>
> > Otherwise it looks ready to merge.
>
> > If you want to have a go at something else as well, the frontend
> > module layout doesn't allow for layout overrides (not easily anyway).
> > I have a published a change here:
> >http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/6-layouts/42-layout-override-addin...
>
> > It probably needs an extra param or two as well.
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddie
> >http://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer

in...@joomkit.com

Nov 30, 2009, 5:25:40 PM11/30/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Slightly sorry I am not contributing more directly as opposed to shouting 'what about?' questions.....but heres another

The current timezone settings lead to enrormous issues in UK when summer time clock changes. All the articles get an hours difference which seemed unsolvable on 1.5. My server clock is set to European GMT time but this didnt seem to help as the offset was calculated anyway.
Is there any changes here in 1.6?

cheers -
(really enjoying everyones contributions!)

Alan

Christophe Demko

Nov 30, 2009, 9:08:30 PM11/30/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
The tracks view is finished and ready to test on the chdemko branch

On 30 nov, 22:21, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew, reponse inline
>
> On 30 nov, 01:19, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Christophe.
>
> > Looks really good overall.  Couple of comments.
>
> > In the banners list model in the _getListQuery method there is this code:
>
> > require_once JPATH_COMPONENT . '/helpers/banners.php';
> > BannersHelper::updateReset();
>
> > I think I'd move that to the display method in the controller.
>
> Done
>

> > In the helper there are things used only by the frontend module.  I
> > think that it is probably better that these go in a frontend helper.
>
> Done
>
> > Otherwise it looks ready to merge.
>
> It lacks the 'tracks' view in admin (but it will be quite easy)
>

> > If you want to have a go at something else as well, the frontend
> > module layout doesn't allow for layout overrides (not easily anyway).
> > I have a published a change here:http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/6-layouts/42-layout-override-addin...
>
> Done
>

> > It probably needs an extra param or two as well.
>
> Which ones?
>
> PS: enjoy your trip to NYC!!!
>

> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Christophe Demko

Dec 1, 2009, 3:14:12 PM12/1/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
As asked by Andrew,

The diff_15_to_16.sql file (for com_banners) is up to date in the
http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/chdemko branch

Ch.D

On 30 nov, 22:22, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Argh!!!
>
> It will be difficult, I think. I will work on this at the end
>
> Ch.D
>
> On 30 nov, 01:37, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One more thing Christophe.  Would you update the diff_15_to_16.sql
> > file in the /installation/.  Thanks.
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>
> > 2009/11/30 Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com>:
>
> > > Hi Christophe.
>
> > > Looks really good overall.  Couple of comments.
>
> > > In the banners list model in the _getListQuery method there is this code:
>
> > > require_once JPATH_COMPONENT . '/helpers/banners.php';
> > > BannersHelper::updateReset();
>
> > > I think I'd move that to the display method in the controller.
>
> > > In the helper there are things used only by the frontend module.  I
> > > think that it is probably better that these go in a frontend helper.
>
> > > Otherwise it looks ready to merge.
>
> > > If you want to have a go at something else as well, the frontend
> > > module layout doesn't allow for layout overrides (not easily anyway).
> > > I have a published a change here:
> > >http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/6-layouts/42-layout-override-addin...
>
> > > It probably needs an extra param or two as well.
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Andrew Eddie
> > >http://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Omar Ramos

Dec 2, 2009, 2:06:44 PM12/2/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I was just doing some unrelated work on my localhost in Joomla 1.5, but I'm sure this would be applicable to Joomla 1.6 com_banners too.

I noticed that with multiple banners displayed on a page, multiple UPDATE queries get sent as well, one for each banner:
  1. UPDATE ldapauth_banner
      SET impmade = impmade + 1
      WHERE bid = 4
So it made me wonder if those multiple UPDATE queries could be simplified into one query and it looks like it is possible according to this article:
http://blog.bubble.ro/how-to-make-multiple-updates-using-a-single-query-in-mysql/

The final version (right before the comments at the bottom of the page...the comments are a pretty good read too for those into MySQL :-):

UPDATE mytable SET title = CASE
WHEN id = 1 THEN ‘Great Expectations’
WHEN id = 2 THEN ‘War and Peace’
END
WHERE id IN (1,2,...)

In our case it might not be a big deal, but just thought I'd throw it out in case it's an optimization someone might want to try out for this or other extensions (I'm thinking something like a mass publish/unpublish might also benefit from something like this)...

Christophe Demko

Dec 2, 2009, 7:55:43 PM12/2/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
It's a good way to improve performances but I use the new JQuery class
which does not use this specific mysql order. If we want to implement
a postgresql layer, we have to be sql platform independent.

On 2 déc, 20:06, Omar Ramos <orw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just doing some unrelated work on my localhost in Joomla 1.5, but I'm
> sure this would be applicable to Joomla 1.6 com_banners too.
>
> I noticed that with multiple banners displayed on a page, multiple UPDATE
> queries get sent as well, one for each banner:
>
>    1. UPDATE ldapauth_banner
>      SET impmade = impmade + 1
>      WHERE bid = 4
>
> So it made me wonder if those multiple UPDATE queries could be simplified
> into one query and it looks like it is possible according to this article:http://blog.bubble.ro/how-to-make-multiple-updates-using-a-single-que...
>
> The final version (right before the comments at the bottom of the page...the
> comments are a pretty good read too for those into MySQL :-):
>
> UPDATE mytable SET title = CASE
> WHEN id = 1 THEN ‘Great Expectations’
> WHEN id = 2 THEN ‘War and Peace’
> END
> WHERE id IN (1,2,...)
>
> In our case it might not be a big deal, but just thought I'd throw it out in
> case it's an optimization someone might want to try out for this or other
> extensions (I'm thinking something like a mass publish/unpublish might also
> benefit from something like this)...
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As asked by Andrew,
>
> > The diff_15_to_16.sql file (for com_banners) is up to date in the
> >http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/chdemkobranch
>
> > Ch.D
>
> > On 30 nov, 22:22, Christophe Demko <chde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Argh!!!
>
> > > It will be difficult, I think. I will work on this at the end
>
> > > Ch.D

> > developer

> > code:

> >http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/6-layouts/42-layout-override-addin...

Louis Landry

Dec 11, 2009, 6:36:55 PM12/11/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

Joomla 1.5 doesn't take daylight savings time into account for any locale.  With Joomla 1.6 we have refactored JDate to be based on the PHP 5.2 native DateTime object which does in fact use system timezone information in calculating time offsets.

All that means that yes, this problem is being addressed in Joomla 1.6.

- Louis

Development Coordinator
Joomla! ... because open source matters.
http://www.joomla.org

Ken Crowder (ChiefGoFor)

Dec 11, 2009, 8:35:52 PM12/11/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
That's awesome news Louis!

Christophe Demko

Dec 12, 2009, 2:59:24 AM12/12/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Just a ping to remember that the refactored com_banners is ready for
test (and possibly merged with trunk) on the
http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/branches/chdemko branch.

On 12 déc, 02:35, "Ken Crowder (ChiefGoFor)" <ken.crow...@joomla.org>

Louis Landry

Dec 12, 2009, 4:05:30 PM12/12/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Working on it now Christophe.

- Louis

Louis Landry

Dec 12, 2009, 4:45:58 PM12/12/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Christophe,

In the file administrator/components/com_banners/helpers/banners.php

This calls a self::setError() that doesn't exist.  What was the intended behavior there? I changed it to raise a warning for now.

Work looks really good otherwise.  Merged into trunk as of revision 13714.

- Louis

Christophe Demko

Dec 13, 2009, 2:02:10 AM12/13/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I think it was a copy and paste from a model class. ;)
Ok for your change. Thanks for the review,

Ch.D
> > joomla-dev-cm...@googlegroups.com<joomla-dev-cms%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

y0ux

Jan 18, 2010, 10:41:38 PM1/18/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi,

I got an idea to for the component, still not shure if is feasible.

I was thinking on adding a checkbox to allow the usage directly of the
click link. This will be more effective when banners point to inner
content/articles and can be more useful for SEO. To keep click counter
values can be added as parameters to the url, using the get method. A
plugin can be build to take those parameters and process them.

let me know if this is possible

cheers,

Christophe Demko

Jan 21, 2010, 12:25:37 AM1/21/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi uOux,

can you provide a patch (http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/
tracker/?action=TrackerItemBrowse&tracker_id=8549)for this feature? I
will have a look to it

Ch.D