Jquery Support

MamboMouth

Nov 11, 2009, 2:14:50 PM11/11/09
to Joomla! CMS Development

Topic: Support third-party JavaScript libraries.
notably:> Jquery

In the past I've made a menu module to fix some of Joomla ore menu
module shortcomings.
in supporting third-party libraries. like Jquery

See it in the JED
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/5536/details

some of the issues that I've had is that when you try to load Jquery.
Joomla Moo tools has a conflict with a Jquery libraries.

In my opinion Jquery is far superior Moo tools
and should be the default library for Joomla.

That being said. It's possible to somehow add something into the
hooks of the system.
To only show Moo tools libraries. When one is editing and or an error
has occurred in the system.
Otherwise the library should be hidden unless call upon a request
that equals an error and or editing.

That way template designers are free to use whichever library they
choose
and moreover be able to keep their JavaScript file libraries up-to-
date by calling them from
Yahoo or Google.

ndee

Nov 11, 2009, 5:50:36 PM11/11/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi,

first, I agree, imho, jQuery would be the better default choice (size,
simplicity). But afair devs wrote somewhere that the new mootools
stuff will be much more 3rd party friendly in 1.6 - which is good. But
we don't want to waste our time on discussions which one is better, do
we? :)

With jQuery it is easy to avoid conflicts, even with J1.5 or any other
js-library that uses $ as shortcut too. See: http://docs.jquery.com/Core/jQuery.noConflict
You can define your own shortcut e.g. $my - no conflict should ever
occur.

To your module. I didn't download it but what can it do better then
the standard module? Yes I read your docs about additional IDs and li,
ul classes. But even without them I can style/animate any menu with
its selectors and module suffix.

e.g. .moduletable-suffix ul li {...} or .moduletable-suffix ul li ul
li {...}

Did I miss something?

greets

On 11 Nov, 20:14, MamboMouth <mambomo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Topic: Support third-party JavaScript libraries.
>  notably:> Jquery
>
>  In the past I've made a menu module to fix some of Joomla ore menu
> module shortcomings.
>  in supporting third-party libraries.  like Jquery
>
> See it in the JEDhttp://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/5536/details

Andrew Eddie

Nov 11, 2009, 6:27:15 PM11/11/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi MamboMouth

If you search this list you'll see a discussion on this previously.
The idea is that 1.6 will implement it's javascript framework (the
core is standardised on Mootools) in a way that you can have your
"fave" coexisting happily with it, whatever flavour that is.

I'm happy that you prefer using jQuery (or one of the many others
available) and we'll do everything we can to allow you to do with
without conflict in 1.6.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 11, 2009, 7:06:57 PM11/11/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks! :)

Brian Diaz

Nov 11, 2009, 8:06:52 PM11/11/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andrew > Masterchief,
Thanks for you response. I did not search. I should have.

Issues:
1. Support for third-party JavaScript libraries besides MooTools.
which I feel you have addressed at the watch your video well done sir.

2. I have concerns about some of the parameters.
that I thought are missing in the main menu module 1.5

Below are a set of links to documentation of the module that I created.
I should say hacked. it pretty much the core menu module with a few
adjustments.
that I hope can be put into Joomla 1 .6 main menu module.

Doc 1.
http://www.m65.net/article-chapter-joomla!-modules-menu-module-parameters-77-257.html#1_1

Doc 2.
http://www.m65.net/article-chapter-pages-joomla!-modules-configure-menus-to-your-template-77-258.html#1_1

I mainly created this menu module to address horizontal menus.
there was no way of getting at the IDs properly to be able to control
them for horizontal.

without having to hack the module either via copying it and then altering it.
or having to install a third-party menu system for no reason.

Also third-party JavaScript support would help greatly in template overrides.
this could be used creatively to to override interior content output
via JavaScript.
for instance Jquery UI. Much like some of the Drupal sites I have seen.

I know this could also be accomplished with MooTools or other
third-party module extensions etc.
but what ends up happening sometimes is that the library that Joomla
uses is older and does not support.
some of the newer plug-ins etc.

I am glad that you're back on the case Andrew.
Remember all of your hard work from the Mambo days.

Cheers,
Brian Diaz
Media 65
--
Brian
Mambo...@gmail.com

Andrew Eddie

Nov 11, 2009, 8:51:07 PM11/11/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian

> 1. Support for third-party JavaScript libraries besides MooTools.
> which I feel you have addressed at the watch your video well done sir.

You're welcome.

> 2. I have concerns about some of the parameters.
> that I thought are missing in the main menu module 1.5

You might want to bring that up in another thread or get involved with
the people that are going to be working through all those sorts of
output issues for the frontend (there are a number of threads open
about output). We don't quite have a stable enough base on the
frontend to work on yet but the time is coming soon to discuss such
things in detail. You'll already see some likely improvements on the
menu link edit page to help with styling.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

ssnobben

Nov 12, 2009, 11:58:48 AM11/12/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Well have something like Superfish v1.4.8 – jQuery menu plugin by Joel
Birch standard in Joomla would be like a dream really..

On 12 Nov, 02:51, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >  but what ends up happening sometimes is that the library that Joomla
> > uses  is older and does not support.
> >  some of the newer plug-ins etc.
>
> >  I am glad that you're back on the case Andrew.
> >  Remember all of your hard work  from  the Mambo days.
>
> >  Cheers,
> >  Brian Diaz
> >  Media 65
>
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi MamboMouth
>
> >> If you search this list you'll see a discussion on this previously.
> >> The idea is that 1.6 will implement it's javascript framework (the
> >> core is standardised on Mootools) in a way that you can have your
> >> "fave" coexisting happily with it, whatever flavour that is.
>
> >> I'm happy that you prefer using jQuery (or one of the many others
> >> available) and we'll do everything we can to allow you to do with

Anthony McLin

Nov 12, 2009, 12:08:38 PM11/12/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
We're probably getting a bit off topic here, but I've had some success creating suckefish-like menus on Joomla (with no core hacks or extra modules) these MooTools classes:

MenuMatic

http://greengeckodesign.com/index.php?q=menumatic

UvumiDropdown

http://greengeckodesign.com/index.php?q=menumatic

I just include them via my templates. I'm sure there's other options as well. Including multiple JS libraries just bloats a site and increases download times.

-Anthony
--
Anthony McLin
Senior Web Developer

KAA Design Group, Inc.
4201 Redwood Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90066
Architecture | Landscape | Brand Experience | Interiors
www.kaadesigngroup.com

MamboMouth

Nov 12, 2009, 2:54:58 PM11/12/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi yes it fails in 1.5 do to JS conflict with old MooTools Lib.
I posted this menu back a year ago.

The only thing I dont think this is place for this.
Do to the fact that its more of a Dev group etc..

This is most likely a better discussion for Joomla forums.

Cheers,
Brian
> >> Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 12, 2009, 3:40:37 PM11/12/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
There is also a General Joomla! Development List which is a better place for those discussions than this list. This list is reserved for Joomla! 1.6 CMS discussions.

The general list would also be an acceptable place, in addition to the Forums.

Andrew Eddie

Nov 12, 2009, 5:17:01 PM11/12/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, by all means work through alternative solutions with jQuery, YUI,
Closure and the many other flavours of choice on the General list.
There appears to be a lot of disgruntle misrepresentation that the
stalwarts (yes, I'm one of those with the warts) are anti-"other JS
framework". This is not the case. By all means discuss how to use
the other frameworks with Joomla and our part of the bargain will be
to allow what we've standardise on to "play nice" with the other (so
long as they know how to "play nice" as well). But do that on the
general dev list.

If you are discussing jQuery or "other" on this list, then it will be
in the context of helping debug where Mootools is not playing nice in
Joomla 1.6. And for 1.5, you would use the Bug Squad list.

Sound fair?

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Amy Stephen

Nov 12, 2009, 5:56:57 PM11/12/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds fair -

There appears to be a lot of disgruntle misrepresentation that the
stalwarts (yes, I'm one of those with the warts) are anti-"other JS
framework".

Just to respond, Andrew, I am not hearing any complaints that anyone is anti-JS of any size, shape, or flavor. It's only unfortunate that everyone settled on the $ - nothing more and nothing less.

I guess $ is the root of all evil.

Thanks for all you do.

jiggliemon

Nov 12, 2009, 11:14:29 PM11/12/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I don't believe there's any argument that can be made that would put
jQuery as superior to Mootools. I believe Aaron Newton put it best
when he said "Anything you can do with jQuery can be done in
Mootools. You can not do everything you can do with Mootools, in
jQuery."

Even Mr.jQuery himself has acknowledged the shortcomings of jQuery in
that he's started initial development on an expendable class
structure, which will not be a part of jQuery, but rather an
extension, much like sizzle was.

I'm Biased.

-Chase

On Nov 12, 2:56 pm, Amy Stephen <amystep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds fair -
>
> There appears to be a lot of disgruntle misrepresentation that the
> stalwarts (yes, I'm one of those with the warts) are anti-"other JS
> framework".
>
> Just to respond, Andrew, I am not hearing any complaints that anyone is
> anti-JS of any size, shape, or flavor. It's only unfortunate that everyone
> settled on the $ - nothing more and nothing less.
>
> I guess $ is the root of all evil.
>
> Thanks for all you do.
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, by all means work through alternative solutions with jQuery, YUI,
> > Closure and the many other flavours of choice on the General list.
> > There appears to be a lot of disgruntle misrepresentation that the
> > stalwarts (yes, I'm one of those with the warts) are anti-"other JS
> > framework".  This is not the case.  By all means discuss how to use
> > the other frameworks with Joomla and our part of the bargain will be
> > to allow what we've standardise on to "play nice" with the other (so
> > long as they know how to "play nice" as well).  But do that on the
> > general dev list.
>
> > If you are discussing jQuery or "other" on this list, then it will be
> > in the context of helping debug where Mootools is not playing nice in
> > Joomla 1.6.  And for 1.5, you would use the Bug Squad list.
>
> > Sound fair?
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddie
> >http://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>
> > 2009/11/13 Amy Stephen <amystep...@gmail.com>:
> > > There is also a General Joomla! Development List which is a better place
> > for
> > > those discussions than this list. This list is reserved for Joomla! 1.6
> > CMS
> > > discussions.
>
> > > The general list would also be an acceptable place, in addition to the
> > > Forums.
>
> > > On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM, MamboMouth <mambomo...@gmail.com>

> > done

> >http://www.m65.net/article-chapter-joomla!-modules-menu-module-parame.<http://www.m65.net/article-chapter-joomla%21-modules-menu-module-parame.>
> > ..

> >http://www.m65.net/article-chapter-pages-joomla!-modules-configure-me.<http://www.m65.net/article-chapter-pages-joomla%21-modules-configure-me.>
> > ..
Message has been deleted

Marco Barbosa

Nov 13, 2009, 7:00:19 AM11/13/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
*abracadabra*

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/structure-a-navigation/menu-systems/drop-a-tab-menus/6731

;)

On 12 Nov, 17:58, ssnobben <ssnob...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well have something like Superfish v1.4.8 – jQuery menu plugin by Joel
> Birch standard in Joomla would be like a dream really..
>
> On 12 Nov, 02:51, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Brian
>
> > > 1.  Support for third-party JavaScript libraries besides MooTools.
> > >  which I feel you have addressed  at the watch your video well done sir.
>
> > You're welcome.
>
> > > 2.  I have concerns about some of the parameters.
> > >  that I thought  are missing in the main menu module 1.5
>
> > You might want to bring that up in another thread or get involved with
> > the people that are going to be working through all those sorts of
> > output issues for the frontend (there are a number of threads open
> > about output).  We don't quite have a stable enough base on the
> > frontend to work on yet but the time is coming soon to discuss such
> > things in detail.  You'll already see some likely improvements on the
> > menu link edit page to help with styling.
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddiehttp://www.theartofjoomla.com-the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Andrew Eddie

Nov 13, 2009, 7:32:18 AM11/13/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Guys, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but please read the posts so we
don't have to repeat ourselves.

Please discuss jQuery (or other JS framework) support for Joomla on
the General dev list here:
http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

Mootools for 1.6 is discussed on this list.

Mootools for 1.5 is discussed on the bug squad list here:
http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad

Clear on that? Awesome ;) Have a great weekend everybody.