Status of 1.6 Beta

1 view

Ercan Özkaya

Aug 5, 2009, 7:51:36 AM8/5/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hi,

When releasing 1.6 alpha in June, we said that we will release beta 1
six weeks from then which is roughly this week.

But due to real life issues (exams to pass, bills to pay, holidays to
enjoy) our contributors had a lack of free time to work on the project
so we could not yet finish all the features that should be in beta.
And after seeing the great work that is done in Summer of Code 2009
which can be utilized in core we decided to delay feature freeze (and
thus the beta) for at least a couple of weeks to have a better feature
set and a more stable release in hand.

Thanks for your patience.

In the meanwhile, if you want see what we are playing with nowadays
you can download a nightly build from here:
http://dev.joomla.org/nightly/joomla_trunk/joomla_trunk_svn.tar.gz

Some of the important changes since alpha:
- New administrator template Bluestork
- Parameter set support for templates
- Support to add/remove icons for administrator panel
- New register method for JHtml which allows overriding core JHtml
methods easily
- Frontend language files for plugins
- Removal of all instances of "global $mainframe"
- Tabbed interface for com_content parameters
- New method JObject::def

Regards,
Your Joomla 1.6 release team

G. D. Speer

Aug 5, 2009, 9:02:52 AM8/5/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
+1 on delaying to Sept. 1 or all the major contributions are reported to be
in, whichever is first.
The key to Agile development is having a sustainable pace. Ventilate the
schedule.
05:57:00

Gary Brooks

Aug 5, 2009, 10:28:15 AM8/5/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Your all doing a wonderful job!   Thanks for the heads up.

Gary Brooks
garyb...@cloudaccess.net

memoc@n

Aug 6, 2009, 11:33:55 AM8/6/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
I wish you success in your work and everything is going good